[VERY EARLY WIP] Ghostbusters Doom 2: Reborn

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[VERY EARLY WIP] Ghostbusters Doom 2: Reborn

Post by Ozymandias81 »

The Original Logo
The Original Logo
Hello ZDoom Forumers and Happy Halloween to all of you!

While this would be an extremely early WIP not-so-updated-so-many-times thread, I had an idea speaking with Mazmon and other community members concerning a certain reboot for an old unfinished WAD.

- Ghostbusters Doom 2 -
What can I say of this small jewel? It was good, with some interesting ideas but unfortunately unfinished/abandoned.
A reboot could bring it new life 'cause tons of things are changed since 2004 with modding.

Last GhostBusters Doom 2 version can be obtained from here AFAIK.

WHAT'S THE MAIN AIM WITH THIS THREAD?

My aim is to have above games repack'd into PK3 files, compatible with Z/GZDoom and SkullDronums, no DEHACKED at all, with modern implementations like maps in UDMF format with 3d floors, GLDEFs, 3d models (which can be voxels or mdl/md2/md3 ones), advanced script systems, USDF dialogues (maybe) etc etc...
But more important is that I want to make those reboots as a free Community Project plan so I don't get overwhelmed with it 'cause massive job to do with Blade of Agony, Gore, Batman Doom: Reborn and Hexed Underworld ( next summer surprise :cool: )

DOWNLOAD LINK, PLEASE

Ghostbusters Doom 2 PK3'd, v01-Alpha - Doom2 or FreeDoom wads needed to run it

WHAT DO I NEED TO LOAD GBD2R?

Most recent devs of Z/GZDoom that could be grabbed from here, actually I didn't tested above pk3 with SkullDronums.

CREDITS PLEASE
Spoiler:
Changelog - This may not be updated so often
Spoiler:
CREDITS GOES TO ALL RESPECTIVE OWNERS OF ABOVE WAD.
I DO NOT CLAIM ANY CREDITS FOR MYSELF WITH THEM 'CAUSE I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING OF IT FROM SCRATCH (until I'll do it).
THIS IS A SOMEWHAT REALLY WIP THREAD AND IT'S MEANT TO BE AN EXPERIMENT, SO EXPECT IT TO BE UPDATED VERY RARELY UNTIL EVERYTHING WILL BE FIXED. AND IF NOT, I DON'T CARE (so people won't continuously beg for it to not being released in a short time, this is an hobby not a job).
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 am, edited 29 times in total.
Arctangent

Re: [WIP] Potential IWADs Reborn

Post by Arctangent »

Ozymandias81 wrote:- Heretic: Blasphemer -
Reviving something currently alive, if in a bit of a slump, seems absolutely redundant.

... Also, converting the maps to UDMF when the project's meant to work with a vanilla Heretic executable seems completely backwards.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Arctangent wrote:
Ozymandias81 wrote:- Heretic: Blasphemer -
Reviving something currently alive, if in a bit of a slump, seems absolutely redundant.

... Also, converting the maps to UDMF when the project's meant to work with a vanilla Heretic executable seems completely backwards.
Yep I know of it, but what do you think if we go deeply with it and make it as a newer-revamped version with modern stuff?
I didn't say that I want them working with Vanilla executables, but Z/GZDoom and SkullDronums man.
Anyway any suggestions/criticisms/ideas are welcomed, 'cause this would be a massive long-term Community Project. ;)
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

My first idea is before you repackage Blasphemer and AD2, you should tear out any of the resources in them you don't have permission to include.

Same for GBD2, actually.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Arctangent wrote:My first idea is before you repackage Blasphemer and AD2, you should tear out any of the resources in them you don't have permission to include.

Same for GBD2, actually.
Then suggestions are welcomed because actually I don't know exactly which are such resources which I can't work with (and it feels really strange imho, because they aren't commercial games and everybody who did them will be credited properly as always in my projects).

[EDIT]: Updated the main OP, thanks to get the point with such stuff.
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Well, first things first, have a look at each project's license. They might not be commercial, but they do have licenses that dictate what things they cannot be used for, and what resources are not compatible with them. By way of example, Freedoom is BSD-licensed, which is not necessarily compatible with resources that are Creative Commons' Share-Alike or Non-Commercial licenses.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

wildweasel wrote:Well, first things first, have a look at each project's license. They might not be commercial, but they do have licenses that dictate what things they cannot be used for, and what resources are not compatible with them. By way of example, Freedoom is BSD-licensed, which is not necessarily compatible with resources that are Creative Commons' Share-Alike or Non-Commercial licenses.
Thanks Weasel, I am going deep with licenses actually. Updated a bit the main OP with Blasphemer restrictions... uhm...
mallo

Post by mallo »

Heh, I wanted to finish that dang GB2 wad myself when I was about 11 (the file is last modified march of 2014 - I was 14! :P), but eventually got bored with it. Have a look at this, I guess. Be sure to check out MAP11 (I like the "falling staypuft" effect) and MAP30 (I remember I spent HOURS removing Vigo from the painting. And try killing Vigo with different number of players in the game. :))

gbd2zdoom.wad - RUN ON TOP OF REGULAR GBDOOM2.WAD!
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

mallo wrote:Heh, I wanted to finish that dang GB2 wad myself when I was about 11 (the file is last modified march of 2014 - I was 14! :P), but eventually got bored with it. Have a look at this, I guess. Be sure to check out MAP11 (I like the "falling staypuft" effect) and MAP30 (I remember I spent HOURS removing Vigo from the painting. And try killing Vigo with different number of players in the game. :))

gbd2zdoom.wad - RUN ON TOP OF REGULAR GBDOOM2.WAD!
Thanks Mallo, I'll take a look onto it for sure. :cool:
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Personally, I would love to see the Ghostbusters TC picked up and continued on.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

The main OP is quite set now, it just needs a spoiler for future screenies and movies + a more good banner.
Some more suggestions are welcomed, no worries.
And if this thread seems to break some forum rules, well it can be closed with no regrets. But I don't think I'm breaking something here 'cause actually no AD2:UB and Blasphemer improvements are in: I wanna be sure what I am doing first, but please if you did something like that (like Mallo did with GBD2) feel free to post here a link to your works.
Anybody who had enough skills to work with a Community Project are welcomed, this thread is meant to be a WIP one where posts are crucial for its development progression.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN, I HAVE THINGS TO DO NOW! :mrgreen:
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

CeeJay wrote:Personally, I would love to see the Ghostbusters TC picked up and continued on.
You are welcomed CeeJay, if you plan to contribute with it I see no problems.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

Personally, I don't think Action Doom 2 needs to be remade. I feel a fan-made sequel would be more interesting.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I'm also against the whole 'reborn' idea for Blasphemer (and I've technically 'birthed' the thing as an IWAD full of red faces!!!) What that wad needs is contributors that make truly legally-unencumbered original assets, not this 'reborn' thing. - which is ridiculous because it's intentionally designed to not break by not depending on sensitive new engine features; just old reliable standards. It's forking for fork's sake at that point.

Spoiler:
Ozymandias81

Re: [VERY EARLY WIP] Ghostbusters Doom 2: Reborn

Post by Ozymandias81 »

leileilol wrote:I'm also against the whole 'reborn' idea for Blasphemer (and I've technically 'birthed' the thing as an IWAD full of red faces!!!) What that wad needs is contributors that make truly legally-unencumbered original assets, not this 'reborn' thing. - which is ridiculous because it's intentionally designed to not break by not depending on sensitive new engine features; just old reliable standards. It's forking for fork's sake at that point.

Spoiler:
Well leileilol, actually I have changed my mind, as you can see at the main OP: this is gonna be Ghostbusters Doom 2: Reborn, 'cause I don't wanna by "the dude who did wrong things", so Blasphemer and Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl will be a problem for others.
Concerning the "Strife IWAD"... it would be simply awesome to do, my idea was to make a somewhat Dune inspired this way, but I know that it could require tons of effort which I really can't bear at this time.
Anywyay, thanks to all people here to get the point with the "legal" part with Blasph and UB, I hope they'll not be forgotten from time to time, as far as I can see that Blasph has its forum + its Google page.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”