Skulldash - A Fast-Paced Speedrun Arcade Mod

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dragonfly

Skulldash - A Fast-Paced Speedrun Arcade Mod

Post by Dragonfly »

Hello everyone!

Today, after over seven years of development, I am proud to announce the release of Skulldash, a fast-paced speedrun arcade mod for Doom II!

The objective in Skulldash is to collect the Skulltokens scattered around each level to unlock the exit. While collecting the Skulltokens you have to race against the clock, as there is a time limit to beat – all while defending yourself from the hordes of monsters from hell.

While on the hunt for the hundreds of Skulltokens scattered across the various realms, you’re having to race against the clock! Failure to beat the level in the permitted time will cause you, the player, to be splattered into many pieces.

Fear not, however, hidden throughout most levels are many secret areas containing blue Skulltokens, which add a precious five seconds to the clock.

With twenty standard levels, four boss levels, five bonus levels, a giant level-hub (and a tutorial) you’ve got plenty of hours of gameplay available!

Skulldash takes you to many realms & locations, including but not limited to technical bases, aztec temples, icy caverns, in a submarine, on a series of treetops, in hell, a haunted mansion, a medieval castle, a jungle altar, high in the sky and even in space!

Take a look at each of the levels, read descriptions & see screenshots of them all at the Skulldash Website.

Every level has a plethora of secret areas, containing bonus equipment and Skulltokens – keep your eye out if you want to go for 100% completion – when you 100% a full tier of levels, you unlock a bonus level!

At the end of each Tier (except the 1st) there is an action packed boss map. Each boss is found in an environment crafted around their strengths and weaknesses. Bosses are often accompanied by hordes of hellspawn to assist them in taking you out. Prepare yourself to face the Lava Golem, the Dark Inquisitor, the Gate Keeper & the Overlord!

To download, please visit the Downloads Page of the Skulldash Website!

An IDGames mirror will come in due time.

Below is just a small collection of screenshots. If you want to see more, please visit the Skulldash Website!

Carbine Dioxide

Re: Skulldash - A Fast-Paced Speedrun Arcade Mod

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

This looks pretty dope, but can you make one for Zdoom and GZdoom?
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Currently I have no plans to port it to (G)ZDoom. If there's more interest & it proves not to be too tough of a task to port over I will look into it. :)
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

I remember this one. as a secret level in ZPack... IIRC.
but great job turning a fun secret map into a Project!
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

i'm getting missing textures everywhere
yes, running zandybum three point oh
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Well, you could just include all of the necessary textures, weapons, and monsters in the project itself. Does this require Skulltag invasion spawner spots?
Blox

Post by Blox »

You can't make a speedrunning mod - speedrunning is a phenomenon, not a playstyle.
You can make a timer race mod, which this is.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

YukesVonFaust wrote:I remember this one. as a secret level in ZPack... IIRC.
but great job turning a fun secret map into a Project!
You're right in remembering it was a secret map, very nice! It was for the TEN Community Project, hosted here on ZDoom.
comet1338 wrote:i'm getting missing textures everywhere
yes, running zandybum three point oh
You didn't include the Skulltag_data.pk3 and Skulltag_actors.pk3 files, I assume.

Zhs2 wrote:Well, you could just include all of the necessary textures, weapons, and monsters in the project itself. Does this require Skulltag invasion spawner spots?
I could. It doesn't make use of invasion spots, no. Initially, I figured many players will have the Skulltag files already and it was a method of cutting the filesize down. I am considering v1.1 and will look to make it independent of the Skulltag resources.

Blox wrote:You can't make a speedrunning mod - speedrunning is a phenomenon, not a playstyle.
You can make a timer race mod, which this is.
While I'd initially agree with you, this shares the same gameplay motto that the speedrun community do. And let's be honest. "Timer Race Mod" just doesn't sound as fun. :)

Blox

Post by Blox »

Josh wrote:But let's be honest. "Timer Race Mod" just doesn't sound as fun. :)
A (!)frantic(!) race AGAINST teh ClOCK!!! is plenty fun. ;)
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Blox wrote:
Josh wrote:But let's be honest. "Timer Race Mod" just doesn't sound as fun. :)
A (!)frantic(!) race AGAINST teh ClOCK!!! is plenty fun. ;)
Heheh. Either way, I hope you enjoy Skulldash, Blox!
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Holy shit, I remember this project, Josh. We started it together. Too bad I never got around and help you with it much. :(
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Remmirath! I didn't realise you were still around these days, I recall sending you a PM on the ZDoom forums perhaps about a year ago seeing if you were still interested!

If you use Skype, drop me a PM and I'll add you! :)
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Is Skulldash compatible with weapon/enemy replacement WADs?
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

It should be compatible but is mostly untested. I know that it works with Brutal Doom, although I don't enjoy Brutal Doom or many weapon/monster mods so I've not extensively tested. In BD, Bonus Level 3 is impossible because of how imbalanced the monster becomes.

Can you report back how compatible any mods you try out are? I'd be interested to know. Thanks!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This looks very interesting :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”