Re: Fast Heretic v3.9

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Drake Raider

Re: Fast Heretic v3.9

Post by Drake Raider »

Hello. The Drake Raider is here again. Just threw together a mod I wanted to make, that made Heretic faster paced. So far I've changed every enemy and weapon found in the first episode. Uploading it because I figured other people might like it.
New version out today, weird version number. I'll explain later.

Download: http://1drv.ms/1kcjPTm

It's a rather massive overhaul version. The following changes are finished, for the most part.
1) All weapons are more balanced. Cool but impractical weapons such as the Crossbow are useful now, and the Phoenix Rod has it's own behaviour implemented.
2) The Green Mana system I mentioned has been implemented. It's not fully balanced yet, I'd like feedback for fine tuning. However, as long as you have green mana, your non-tomed attacks are more powerful overall, for varying reasons. If the projectile isn't changed in some way, the weapon fires faster. Nonetheless, everything's been tweaked. Weapons have reached a level almost at Rocket Tag Gameplay now, and would be overpowered were it not for...
3) Enemies have also been redone. Gargoyles spawn in groups of 1-8 now, instead of a consistent 4. Golems have three different idle states which they choose randomly, each behaving differently, adding more variety to playthroughs. Ghosts and Wizards can stealth and teleport. Iron Liches can summon more types of enemies. Ophidians can resurrect each other.
4) Inventory items have been added. Well, a couple, anyway. That's why this isn't just 4.0, there's enough changes to justify it. I'll update the number when I finish the Artifacts. So far I've tweaked
-Timebomb is thrown now, and has a completely different explosion with shrapnel.
-Morph Ovum has completely new behaviour reliant on the new Blue Mana. Basically, when you have more than 1, you throw it as a bomb, but when it's down to your only one, it's more of a firing weapon. Try it out!
-Tome of Power can be toggled on and off, and only one copy can be carried. The others serve as mana pickups. I haven't finished this weapon, as I hope to implement a mana drain whilst active. I have yet to figure out how, though.

Anyway, both you and monsters tend to die really quickly. This leads to a really bizarre difficulty curve, where the early areas are fairly easy, but the late game is stupidly difficult. Not that I personally have a problem with that, I'm a huge fan of nintendo hard gameplay. Especially when Wizards, Ironlichs, and Ophidians take main stage, all three of which can resurrect monsters, making late game really chaotic. It's my kind of masochism.

Anyway, anyway is turning into a verbal tic for me, it seems. However, if anyone has a desire to test some deathmatch, HMU on steam, my name's "Ratt". I wanna see how the weapons flow in multiplayer. Screenshots will be updated sometime tomorrow.

Goals, ambiance aside.
Spoiler:
Screenshots
Album:http://imgur.com/a/ATrUv
Spoiler:

Old Versions
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If you enjoy it, give me feedback. Kinda curious if it would work in multiplayer. No great ambitions here.
Last edited by Drake Raider on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:31 am, edited 18 times in total.
ShadesMaster

Re: Fast Heretic

Post by ShadesMaster »

The crossbow's method of fire is cool, as are the gargoyle spawning methods (there IS a 'dark gargoyle' tho you could have used as a sprite base), the Wizard (lich) 'NovaShot' is overpowered tho IMHO....
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Disciple or Ironlich? Confused by the way you worded that, but I can nerf it if it's a problem?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Ooh, this is good! Love the new gargoyles, the new projectiles on the wand and claw and the fact that fights don't seem to be a bullet-sponge-fest. Interesting effect with the dragon claw...

What happened to the tomes of power?
Drake Raider

Re: Fast Heretic v2

Post by Drake Raider »

New version, folks.
Link:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9 ... file%2crar

Now the full second episode has new monster behaviour, with some new weapon changes. I have two weapons left to do (Pheonix Rod, Firemace), and two enemies (Ophidian, D'Sparil.)

I will respond to all posts thusly:
Overpowered Nova Shot
-ShadesMaster: Much rarer. It's now part of the Wizard's ai pattern in the case of the Disciple, making it a manual attack that requires woundhealth, and made it nearly as rare in the Ironlich.
Dark Gargoyle Sprite
-ShadesMaster: After my fiasco with Bloodmoon and stolen sprites, I've been increasingly careful to use my own work whenever I can. The translation effect worked quite well, so I'm content with it. I don't want to wind up forgetting who to credit several sprites in again.... I was hopelessly lost there.
Tomes of Power
-Vaecrius: I have no idea. They appear fine for me. Unless you're referring to their effects, in which case I made new ones for each weapon.

Feedback would be appreciated.
Drake Raider

Re: Fast Heretic v3

Post by Drake Raider »

Yo. Double posting, because that's acceptable. That said, I have a reason. I finished V3. All monsters and weapons should work correctly now. If some peeps could tell me what they thought, I'd be pretty psyched.
If I do another version, it'll be after I remaster all the artifacts. But no plans for it actually happening. I just get urges to play heretic alot, and tend to mod when I do. Again, the mod's more for me, but feedback would be appreciated.

Download
http://1drv.ms/1YYxTQl

Screenshots:
http://1drv.ms/1YYy0eD
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

It's asking for a login when I try to download the file, but not when I download the screenshots.
Spilskinanke

Post by Spilskinanke »

I appreciate any and all heretic mods, but could you perhaps use a different uploader than onedrive?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Spilskinanke wrote:I appreciate any and all heretic mods, but could you perhaps use a different uploader than onedrive?
This.

I have issues with that site.

This looks like fun, let me know when all of the weapons are finished and I will give it a go.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Here's a mediafire upload, my apologies. I'll update it in the first post. I generally use OneDrive for my personal stuff. This should work.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k4z51 ... tic+v3.rar

EDIT:
I wonder what the progress is on Heretic++... I'd love to make this cross compatible, as the atmosphere is one of Heretic's stronger points, and I think I've hurt that a bit in my execution of this mod.
Spilskinanke

Post by Spilskinanke »

Are you sure you uploaded it correctly? .rar says that the format is damaged or something, I tried changing the extension to .wad and .pk3 but it did nothing when loaded in GZDoom. Am I missing something or is the .rar actually broken?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Have you tried redownloading it? It could be that your browser terminated the download too early (a rare thing, but it does happen sometimes).
Spilskinanke

Post by Spilskinanke »

Yea I redownloaded it a couple times, same result.
Turns out the problem was with my file archiver, so I fixed it. Just a problem on my end.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

You need the latest version of WinRAR or 7-Zip. It will open and extract with 7-Zip 15.08 beta.
Drake Raider

Re: Fast Heretic v3.1

Post by Drake Raider »

I lied. New version. I wanted to do some tweaks to bring back atmosphere. No changes to artifacts yet, but, while guns-blazing gameplay is still preferred, sneaking is now an option, as enemy LOS is greatly diminished. And there are some new behaviours to work with as well. I like exploring the world in ambience, only to get sprung upon by something unexpected.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/42cbb ... t+v3-1.rar

Return to “Gameplay Mods”