[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.4 Released! [HITBOXES ARE FIXED]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.4 Released! [HITBOXES ARE FIXED]

Post by TheRailgunner »

Logo could be cleaner...

A gameplay showcase video, courtesy of Glaice:
Spoiler:
Changelog:
Spoiler:
I am currently trying to give The Trooper a Zandronum-compatible version - if this interests you, the reader, follow either this link or this other, RDND-compatible link. The Zandronum versions are current to The Trooper 0.2, lacking zoom features and quick-melee.

The Trooper is a simpler, more relaxed project compared to Project Operation Unthinkable or Helsturm; it's not heavy on mechanics nor boasts a massive (theoretical) arsenal - it's just you and these ten guns, plus a knife and sword (which you can quick-melee with using User1 and User2, respectively):

Surfeit Torment - A powerful explosive revolver originally belonging to Unthinkable's Sergei, this thing puts down most weaker enemies in one or two shots. If you're not willing to get too close to the explosive death, altfire launches a highly accurate spread-shot. A copy of the gun exists, somewhere...and if you find it, can be dual-wielded via the Zoom function.Complete - it does almost everything!

Avtomat Sokova, model of 1946 - Lightweight, cheap, and durable, the AS-46 is a reliable workhorse weapon, suitable for most enemy types. It can also fire a highly explosive grenade. Complete, ready to lock and load!

Pulsar-D - A burst-fire weapon chambered in the heavier 6x60mm Hildebrand round, the Pulsar-D takes out enemies with greater range and precision than the AS-46. Paced bursts are ideal; rapid firing can mute the advantages of using this burst rifle. Can be aimed using the Zoom key. Complete, ready for field issue!

Gehiron M83 GPMG - A general-purpose machine gun chambered in 7.62x51mm NATO, the M83 has a reputation for both high accuracy and recoil force. It can also load armor-piercing ammunition. Complete - don't have too much fun!

Sturmman M97 - One of few in its class, the M97 is a double-barreled automatic shotgun...that is, ridiculously powerful and nearly impossible to control. Still, it offers unrivaled damage output at close range, making this a monster you'll be coming back to often. It can fire slugs as well as shells. Complete - help, it knocked me over and I can't get up!

KSR VSK7 Nightshade - A versatile, semi-automatic shotgun with considerable stopping power, superior handling, and a tight spread. Can be used to fire explosive shells. Complete, already spent all of my shells in testing.

UAC Prototype Model 302 "Last Salvo" Handheld Explosive Railgun - Exactly what it says on the tin, this weapon fires a massive explosive slug at incredible speed, carving a bloody pathway between you and your target. Can fire perforated slugs that spread after firing. Complete, just don't fire at close range, it WILL kill you.

Lost Guardian DGA-3 - A prototype design, this directed energy weapon fires seven powerful beams in quick succession. Best used at close to medium range, as the beams lose coherence at longer ranges. With the right battery, it can be configured to fire single beams that maintain coherence much more properly... Complete, does need a new muzzle flash, though.

Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis - The literal arm of an alien machine, this powerful beam rifle deals massive damage at any range. Kicks like a bionic mule. Can be scoped-in with the Zoom key. Complete, could do with a more effective explosive radius...or a smaller explosion.

Crimson Spectre - A massive antimatter cannon with no apparent function or purpose other than pure, unadulterated destruction. IFF tags of unknown manufacture prevent this beast from vaporizing its wielder via collateral damage from its main blast, though the leftover bursts of matter annihilation can't be good for you. I wouldn't fire this thing while standing on any sort of narrow platform, if I were you. It can also turn its antimatter cores into shootable mines - just remember that the mines don't care if you're friendly. Complete - that humming sound it makes, that's completely normal.

Extra weapons - sometimes you need a little more gun:
Spoiler:
CREDITS ARE IMPORTANT, TOO:
DoomNukem: Surfeit Torment base, firing sounds, and ammo pickups, Sturmman drum, Pulsar-D base, GPMG sight
PillowBlaster: Various sounds, some code references (too many to list)
Sgt. Shivers: GPMG HUD sprites, Sokova 46 reload sprites, base for Nishimura Seven sprites
wildweasel: Various code references, some sounds (also too many to list), Revenant tracer fix
zrrion: Lost Guardian, Sharpshooter arm, muzzle flashes
Seidolon: New Lost Guardian pickup, voxel pickups
Enjay: Revenant tracer fix (code)
Neccronixis: New Last Salvo and Sharpshooter Arm sprites
HazeBandicoot: Crosshairs
Blox: Shiny shiny Nishimura Seven sprite
Carbine Dioxide: Considerable testing and feedback, base for GPMG pickup
Albertoni: Zandronum version testing and feedback
Glaice: Gameplay video
Robinson Brewery: logo base

If I'm forgetting to credit anyone for anything, please let me know and I will promptly rectify the issue.

Leap ass-first into danger here! Last updated 19 June 2016.

Extra weapons! Load after any version of The Trooper, before loading any other patches. Not Zandronum compatible. Last updated 19 June 2016.

Hopefully Zandronum 3.0 compatible build?

Same as above, but with RDND compatibility.

Vanilla movement patch, load after any version of The Trooper.

MaxStepHeight-only patch, same as above. Do not use with the vanilla movement patch.

Do you like voxels? I like voxels. Dive first-ass into voxel pickups here, courtesy of Seidolon. Voxel pickups are incomplete at this time.
Last edited by TheRailgunner on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 129 times in total.
Seidolon

Re: [WIP] The Trooper

Post by Seidolon »

Looks really badass. I'll be looking forward to trying this out. Sometimes all I need are basic new weapons to kill things with.
Last edited by Seidolon on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Looks great, although the use of doom hands makes it seem a bit monotonous with other mods.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

One question ... when we will be able to download this new gem?

I'm asking because i like fun mods and yours looks really fun :D
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Yes. :D

Question, is this mod gonna have anything to do with Iron Maiden?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

The muzzle flashes look bent on some of the sprites
HannesH

Post by HannesH »

look nice :D .
RastaManGames
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RastaManGames »

I can't wait for test them all!
HannesH

Post by HannesH »

The M97 Looks like a mg 42 was this intended ? but it Looks cool .
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

HannesH wrote:The M97 Looks like a mg 42 was this intended ? but it Looks cool .
It's basically two MG42s modified to fire shotgun shells and eject them downward.
HannesH

Post by HannesH »

Double the awesomeness :D
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Definitely keeping an eye on this one.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper (progress update)

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, a few things:

*The Sokova 46 is complete. It functions identically to its Helsturm counterpart, but lacks reloads, upgrades, and excess trappings - it just keeps shooting, just like the good ol' days (of FPS gaming)!
*The Pulsar-D is not far behind.
*The Surfeit Torment will be here soon (work stalled because of reload-related laziness, but The Trooper doesn't do reloads).

Expect a WIP release on or before March 31st. I may even make a gameplay video...?
Carrascado

Post by Carrascado »

This mod looks nice, waiting for a download link :ninja:
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Carrascado wrote:This mod looks nice, waiting for a download link :ninja:
One will magically appear sometime before the stroke of midnight tonight, so you won't be waiting TOO long. That said, it won't be complete by any means, but I'll do the best I can.

The Surfeit Torment explosive revolver is finished, though the recoil frames are modified from Guncaster's Longhorn, and thus, while structurally identical to the idle frame, do not share the same artistic style - they more or less provide the gist of the final animation. Still, the ST is my favorite weapon so far, for reasons you may discover for yourself...

In the meantime, I'll try to get the M97 done and the Pulsar-D finished before midnight. I may remove the AS-46 and Pulsar-D's ADS functionality, as it honestly just doesn't seem very useful in testing compared to, say Helsturm's. The Sharpshooter Arm, however, will have to wait for a better sprite base - as messed up as the DGA-3's angle is, the ASP is nearly fucking horizontal.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”