A decent, no-bullshit microphone setup for 100$? Sure thing.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Blox

A decent, no-bullshit microphone setup for 100$? Sure thing.

Post by Blox »

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that it does sound decent.
The first one I'm not sure, but the second clip is most definitely a completely raw recording. (GOOD VOICE NOT INCLUDED)

Shit you'll need to buy: What You'll Need To Do: FOR DUMMIES:
  • Unpack your shit.
  • Plug the female end (only holes) of the XLR cable into the Samson CS and the male end into the "MIC IN" port of the Xenyx.
  • Plug the USB cable that came with the Xenyx into it and plug the other end into a USB2 port.
    Fortunately, since the transmitted data is entirely digital, the port placement (front/back) does not seem to make a difference - so you can safely plug it into any compatible port you can find.
  • Set the default speaker device back to your speaker output, since there's a good chance it'll try to use the new USB audio device as the output.
  • Set the new USB recording device volume to 1 or 2, depending on whether you wish the maximum volume to be low or high. (This kicks the noise floor way the fuck down.)
  • The Xenyx has a "GAIN" knob directly below the "MIC IN" port, turn that up to the seventh line (the very bottom-left position is also a line)
    This should give you a nice volume with some spare room for those EXTRA LOUD sounds. If you're quiet as a mouse at all times, just turn it up appropriately to 8/10 or more instead.
  • Turn the "MIC" knob at the very bottom-left all the way up.
  • Play around with the Low/High sliders just above this "MIC" knob until you like how it records your voice.
  • YOU'RE DONE!!
    MAKE SURE TO HAVE YOUR RECORDING PROGRAM OF CHOICE HAVE THE "Microphone (USB AUDIO CODEC)" AS A MICROPHONE INPUT AND YOU'RE GOLDEN!
Special thanks: Fuck you Glenn
Last edited by Blox on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Blox

Re: A decent, no-bullshit microphone setup for 100$? Sure th

Post by Blox »

Now with links for Europeans with prices, wee!

Edit:
A microphone stand would also be a very relevant thing to get, as holding the microphone reveals superior input quality.
Unfortunately I know nothing on the topic of good price/performance microphone stands.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Fuck you Glenn :D

I have the Samson C01 which is its condenser mic equivalent that I got for 59€. Which is perhaps a little better suitable for live-commentating, vocal recording, sound recording. While the CS might be better for instruments, live-gig vocals etc. I've done a few test comparing the C01 to a 2500€ Neumann U-87 on vocals. (The samson c01 is called the poor mans u-87) And it is surprisingly somewhat close. Obviously the U-87 has a little more defined sound, especially in the high-end but tbh I kinda don't like the pre-boosted highshelf curve the U-87 has anyway. Definitely recommend the Samson C01 for those looking for a cheap but good condenser microphone.

Can't say I've had too great experiences with the small Behringer mixers though. But I'm not certain I've tried this exact one out. The XENYX preamps are known for having a lot of issues, the noise-floor is loud at higher gain levels and isn't the most beautiful sounding preamp out there. Don't know about the mixers ASIO driver if it's any good. But for some small home use, I guess you'll do fine.

If you're a bit more serious about recording, vocals/talk or guitar or whatever. I'd suggest getting a soundcard with slightly better preamps and AD/DA converters
a few examples:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, or a 1i1 if you're 100% certain you don't need more than 1 input. (having 2 is always handy, you'll end up needing 2 sometime anyway)
Tascam US-2x2, ( I have an older model US144/122-MK2, which you probably can find for 60-80$ used)
But you will need to add an extra 50-100$/€ for one of those. The durability is better as well as the sound quality.

A setup with the C01 and a Scarlet 2i2 and a cable would then be around 200€ ofc, so it's double the money. But depending on your situation. It might be a better solution. Cause you get some real quality products for a relatively cheap price.
A stand is absolutely a must with the C01, and is very useful with a CS aswell. When buying the microphones, you can usually get some sort of bundle with a stand and pop-filter for a discount.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Oh lookie more information, nice.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

Small bump for those who are absurdly desperate and don't have 100$ to waste:
1.- Get a pair of earbuds (even cheap 5$ earbuds will do)
2.- Get a Matchbox
3.- Make a few holes in the matchbox
4.- Put and somehow secure your earbuds there (DON'T USE GLUE)
5.- Make sure to amplify them in the sound options of your operating system (30 decibels is good)
6.- Use them as if they were a mic

...I know it seems like a bad idea but they actually sound decently good! (At least twice the quality of Doom's sound effects, for example)
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

I just came home after buying a cheap Rock Band microphone, with inline amp, at the local thrift shoppe. It cost me all of $ 2,00. It turns out, that it is recognized by Windoes 10 as a Logitech USB device.

So, I fired up Audacity and did some test. It records okay but is very sensitive to handling. Also wind noise is quite noticeable when speaking into the mike. And it has to be very close to the mouth. I tried various things and finally cut up an old sock and used that as a wind screen.

Good heavens, this works better than my Blue Yeti USB microphone.

Return to “Tutorials”