[BETA] Danimator - Beta2 is L I V E (p. 4)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [BETA] Danimator -- "A friggin' animation program!"

Post by phantombeta »

Seidolon wrote:Could you give me some pointers possibly?

Code: Select all

int *x, *y, *z;
Sorry, I had to. xD
But seriously, I recommend using C# too... Much easier than C++ and comes with a fuckton of built-in image related types and methods...
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Call me an id, but I've downloaded the MSVCP120.dll and installed the Visual C++ redistributal package yet the programs still asks for 'MSVCR120.dll' or something.
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

MJ79 wrote:Call me an id, but I've downloaded the MSVCP120.dll and installed the Visual C++ redistributal package yet the programs still asks for 'MSVCR120.dll' or something.
You shouldn't place any extra DLLs into your folders. Beta 1b fixes the wrong DLL usage so the redistributable packages should do the trick. If all else fails, try uninstalling the packages and then reinstalling the x86 one.
Seidolon wrote:This looks really useful. I'm looking to make a program with C++ that allows you to easily create in-game HudMessage based menus, but I've lost focus on that because I am having trouble with simple things like loading images. Could you give me some pointers possibly?
Most of what others have said so far is reasonably spot on, but it depends on platform, language, and what sort of API you want to work with--in this particular case on Windows with C++, you generally have either Windows GDI, OpenGL, or DirectX.
  • Windows GDI: Can't help you there, though it would mostly involve loading the raw image data in as bitmaps and then drawing it. wxWidgets has a decent abstraction layer for GDI contexts.
  • OpenGL: There are countless imaging libraries out there that can work with this. I used SFML to handle the images as it also provides an OpenGL Texture abstraction to load them into GPU memory for you.
  • DirectX: Use D3DX9/10/11 headers and go from there, it provides pretty much all the image loading functionality you'll need. Alternatively, for older compatibility, earlier versions of DirectX may be used.
Honestly, loading the images is the easiest part; managing them properly, providing fail-safe defaults, and handling other nuances of that sort of thing is more complicated. With Danimator, I utilized an old Texture Manager that I had written for a (scrapped) game. If you want to implement something like that (elegantly and properly), you should probably read up on/be familiar with the following:
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

When I saw that title, I thought of a yoghurt of the same starting letter.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

So... TEXTURES support?
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

Zhs2 wrote:So... TEXTURES support?
Someday.
CRxTRDUDE

Post by CRxTRDUDE »

Duuude, your program greatly improved my workflow for the in game animations.

I hope that in the coming days you're working with this.

This actually reminded me of Fighter Factory for MUGEN where there is a WYSIWYG editor for animation.
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

I need to fiddle with this thing a bit, as trying to use it with an existing weapon seems to act really weirdly. Fortunately, I'm in the process of making a new one, so I can use that to experiment. The tool works really well, I just need to refine my technique with it.

Definitely looking forward to whatever you do with this in the future.
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

I'm not gone, just having a busy life sadly. But this project is still alive!
Henix_Aurorus wrote:I need to fiddle with this thing a bit, as trying to use it with an existing weapon seems to act really weirdly. Fortunately, I'm in the process of making a new one, so I can use that to experiment. The tool works really well, I just need to refine my technique with it.

Definitely looking forward to whatever you do with this in the future.
Would you mind elaborating on the issue a little bit? If it's a bug or a non-functional feature, I can see to fixing it up for whenever the next version comes about. :)
CRxTRDUDE

Post by CRxTRDUDE »

Henix_Aurorus wrote:...
Your weapons have an offset set in SLADE? Shooter did address that the program does not use offsets from the image, rather, it uses the [wiki]Offset[/wiki] action function.

@shooter, does your image library have the ability to read custom stuff like the offsets in png or you have to code it yourself?
Theshooter7

Post by Theshooter7 »

CRxTRDUDE wrote:@shooter, does your image library have the ability to read custom stuff like the offsets in png or you have to code it yourself?
The underlying library probably has the functionality, but I am pretty certain this is off limits through SFML. In short, I will likely have to code this in myself, but this isn't a huge problem to me (I was planning on it in the future so people could avoid problems with this program and baked offsets).
CRxTRDUDE

Post by CRxTRDUDE »

I think this might not be huge of a problem too. After all, they put the specs for [wiki]grAb[/wiki] in the wiki anyway. Also, source is available for the grabpng tool by bagheadspidey (another version of [wiki]SetPNG[/wiki]) which you could check out.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Seidolon wrote:This looks really useful. I'm looking to make a program with C++ that allows you to easily create in-game HudMessage based menus, but I've lost focus on that because I am having trouble with simple things like loading images. Could you give me some pointers possibly?
If you don't want to go the C# way, SLADE 3 uses the FreeImage library for loading standard formats, so you can use it as an example.
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

CRxTRDUDE wrote:Your weapons have an offset set in SLADE? Shooter did address that the program does not use offsets from the image, rather, it uses the [wiki]Offset[/wiki] action function.

@shooter, does your image library have the ability to read custom stuff like the offsets in png or you have to code it yourself?
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I removed the offsets on the sprites when I imported the new animation, hence me suspecting it's less of a program fault and more of me not doing it right. I have animations for a new weapon finished, and will be making the weapon proper later today, so I'll report back with how that went later.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Finally got around to trying this program, holy fuck this is amazing. I also made a lot of noise about wishing someone made an OFFSET animation program in the past, you've literally changed the game this time. :D

Anyway, I have some suggestions, sorry if these have already been mentioned:

1) Duplicate previous frame
2) Set tics for all frames

That's about it for me I think, my usage isn't exactly heavy, I just want to composite offset-based animations and this tool does it perfectly for now. This program has found its permanent home in my Doom/Utils directory. ;D

Would be nice to have but I can live without it for now:

1) Support for scaled sprites (not sure how this would work; supply the TEXTURES lump that Danimator must read from?)
2) Mousewheel zoom in/out

(on a a slightly related note) I suggest you get this up on Github so it may not be lost due to catastrophic failure...

Bug: Embed settings doesn't seem to be saved. I had to go in the config.cfg and manually change the values to false.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”