Head Hunter.v6 - Rebalancing and TNT

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheSkyBug

Re: Head Hunter.v4a - barrels of fun

Post by TheSkyBug »

grouchbag wrote:I'll try this out later today,SkyBug.It doesn't matter how old you are, you show some talent.Best of luck on this and future projects! :D
Thanks you!

New update:
-Fixed player's magic transformation while crouching.
-Added secondary fire mode for 7 slot - area cover projectile.
TheSkyBug

Re: Head Hunter.v5 - I hope you like shotguns

Post by TheSkyBug »

Update:
-Added pump-action shotgun. Now old shotgun rarely drops instead of it. New shotgun very accurate, but has slow fire rate.
-Fixed dying while shooting from rifle second fire mode.
-Reduced Quad-shotgun accuracy.
TheSkyBug

Re: Head Hunter.v5a - I hope you like shotguns

Post by TheSkyBug »

Update again:
-Added unique sounds for this hero! Well... I just hope, that they are not so shitty...
-A little improved player sprites.
-Maked pump shotgun pumping a little faster.
TheSkyBug

Re: Head Hunter.v5b - I hope you like shotguns

Post by TheSkyBug »

Update:
-Changed the hand on QSG sprites, because previous looks crappy.
-Increased QSG accurasy.

Also i've added a bunch of editions of Lippeth's Ketchup gore mod.

And i want to ask you: did someone really played it? I mean passing some maps, instead run throught MAP01 with IDDQD and IDKFA.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

TheSkyBug wrote:Update:
-Increased QSG accurasy.

And i want to ask you: did someone really played it? I mean passing some maps, instead run throught MAP01 with IDDQD and IDKFA.
I played around with it for a bit through most of DOOM 2 with version 5a:
  • The Flesher feels worse than the standard knife. I can just hold down the knife and stun enemies with ease while I struggle to hit enemies with the flesher consistently. It doesn't have the same feel as an upgrade from the fists to chainsaw. Especially considering the chainsaw doesn't need a berserker pack to feel more powerful.
    -
  • I know the Holemaker does a lot of damage and that is the reasoning behind making it go through ammo so quickly but it is a very accurate, single shot weapon. You do get punished for missing. It really should be 1-to-1 as being left with 2 bullets left and not being able to reload is reallllly annoying.
    -
  • The Revenger is nice... until you pick-up SteelReaper. Totally outclassed by it and no reason to ever go back the Revenger, especially when...
    -
  • You pick up the Gutcutter. Faster firing speed and reloading. Even with the increase in spread, this was my most used weapon. You can literally take out everything up to the Baron very quickly so I wouldn't even consider using any other shotguns (or even most other weapons for that matter) once you get this.
    -
  • QBS feels nice but.. the Gutcutter comes into play. I want to use the QBS because it looks to be an upgrade, but I actually felt that I was killing enemies faster, with less ammo, and more consistently with the Gutcutter because of the damage ranges for each shot. Sometimes Caco's wouldn't die with a full unload with the QBS and I would have to wait for the reload, while the Gutcutter can easily blast through it without worrying about the pause for reload.
    -
  • The Leadstormer feels a underpowered compared to the other weapons you can pick up at the beginning like a shotgun (any of them because they kill faster and have multiple pellets to take out more enemies). Maybe make this dual wielded so you have more tracer rounds coming out to make it feel like a chaingun replacement.
    -
  • Mountcrusher feels really nice. Love how it sounds, how the projectiles fire and arch. 10/10, would use again.
    -
  • Stunrider is great... when it is on the rapid fire mode. It has a great feeling when firing, launching those projectiles that have some "omph". The energy spear mode though? Not really feeling it. I think it just might be the fact that when it fires, I was expecting a nice charge shot like a railgun but the Bodycracker has this instead. I don't think I ever went back to the spear mode once I changed it to rapid.
    -
  • The Bodycracker's penetrate mode is great because it feels like a railgun. The assassinate mode is also great because it feels that it has some power behind each shot but..? The Mountcrusher is now left behind with this mode (even though it uses rockets instead of cells) and this mode also self hurts. I was expecting something different, akin to the BFG because of its AoE damage and general safety when up close to big enemies. You can't always be at a safe distance when facing larger monsters.
The mod is fun, don't get me wrong, but there are balance issues with the weapons in general. The Gutcutter is the biggest problem for me because it just kills so much more efficiently than any other weapon because of its damage, reload speed, number of pellets, and availability of shells.

I think what needs to happen is find a role for each weapon. Right now, too many weapons are generally untouched later in the game because other guns fill the role even better without any downsides either because of ammo constraints, accuracy, or general functionality.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

faslrn wrote:
-Increased QSG accurasy.

• The Flesher feels worse than the standard knife. I can just hold down the knife and stun enemies with ease while I struggle to hit enemies with the flesher consistently. It doesn't have the same feel as an upgrade from the fists to chainsaw. Especially considering the chainsaw doesn't need a berserker pack to feel more powerful.
    -
  • I know the Holemaker does a lot of damage and that is the reasoning behind making it go through ammo so quickly but it is a very accurate, single shot weapon. You do get punished for missing. It really should be 1-to-1 as being left with 2 bullets left and not being able to reload is reallllly annoying.
    -
  • The Revenger is nice... until you pick-up SteelReaper. Totally outclassed by it and no reason to ever go back the Revenger, especially when...
    -
  • You pick up the Gutcutter. Faster firing speed and reloading. Even with the increase in spread, this was my most used weapon. You can literally take out everything up to the Baron very quickly so I wouldn't even consider using any other shotguns (or even most other weapons for that matter) once you get this.
    -
  • QBS feels nice but.. the Gutcutter comes into play. I want to use the QBS because it looks to be an upgrade, but I actually felt that I was killing enemies faster, with less ammo, and more consistently with the Gutcutter because of the damage ranges for each shot. Sometimes Caco's wouldn't die with a full unload with the QBS and I would have to wait for the reload, while the Gutcutter can easily blast through it without worrying about the pause for reload.
    -
  • The Leadstormer feels a underpowered compared to the other weapons you can pick up at the beginning like a shotgun (any of them because they kill faster and have multiple pellets to take out more enemies). Maybe make this dual wielded so you have more tracer rounds coming out to make it feel like a chaingun replacement.
    -
  • Mountcrusher feels really nice. Love how it sounds, how the projectiles fire and arch. 10/10, would use again.
    -
  • Stunrider is great... when it is on the rapid fire mode. It has a great feeling when firing, launching those projectiles that have some "omph". The energy spear mode though? Not really feeling it. I think it just might be the fact that when it fires, I was expecting a nice charge shot like a railgun but the Bodycracker has this instead. I don't think I ever went back to the spear mode once I changed it to rapid.
    -
  • The Bodycracker's penetrate mode is great because it feels like a railgun. The assassinate mode is also great because it feels that it has some power behind each shot but..? The Mountcrusher is now left behind with this mode (even though it uses rockets instead of cells) and this mode also self hurts. I was expecting something different, akin to the BFG because of its AoE damage and general safety when up close to big enemies. You can't always be at a safe distance when facing larger monsters.
The mod is fun, don't get me wrong, but there are balance issues with the weapons in general. The Gutcutter is the biggest problem for me because it just kills so much more efficiently than any other weapon because of its damage, reload speed, number of pellets, and availability of shells.

I think what needs to happen is find a role for each weapon. Right now, too many weapons are generally untouched later in the game because other guns fill the role even better without any downsides either because of ammo constraints, accuracy, or general functionality.
Hmmm... I guess, i'll make the Flesher deal more damage and, maybe, the "Charged" mode, that will increase it's damage and some other cool things for some time.
Holemaker: I guess, i'll increase it's firerate, decrease damage and make it load 1 bullet for 1 bullet.
Revenger: currently, i'm not sure what i can do with this, but i'll try to do something. It's approcah to being some kind of "Sniping shotgun", like in vanilla.
Gutcuter: Yep, i'll slow down fireareate, and, i guess, decrease it's accuracy, to make it fully close-range high damage weapon.
Steel Reaper: maybe a little slow down firerate.
QSG: Yep, i know about problem with cacodemons, but if i'll make it shoot more pellets, it will be much more effective tahn other shotguns, but i'll try to fix it somehow... Maybe add extra close-range damage for it.
Leadstormer: Well, you already can use dual wielding. Just find another UZI, and press altfire.
Mountcrusher: well... to be honestly, sounds and sprites (And 90% of animation) were stollen from Zero tolerance.
Stunrider: Energy spear usefull against large hord of enemies. You can check this at meaty maps (Sunder MAP01, for perhaps, with it's imp army at begining).
Bodycracker: well... Yes, i guess, i'll make player invulnerable to it's explosions.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

TheSkyBug wrote:
faslrn wrote:
-Increased QSG accurasy.

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Hmmm... I guess, i'll make the Flesher deal more damage and, maybe, the "Charged" mode, that will increase it's damage and some other cool things for some time.
Holemaker: I guess, i'll increase it's firerate, decrease damage and make it load 1 bullet for 1 bullet.
Revenger: currently, i'm not sure what i can do with this, but i'll try to do something. It's approcah to being some kind of "Sniping shotgun", like in vanilla.
Gutcuter: Yep, i'll slow down fireareate, and, i guess, decrease it's accuracy, to make it fully close-range high damage weapon.
Steel Reaper: maybe a little slow down firerate.
QSG: Yep, i know about problem with cacodemons, but if i'll make it shoot more pellets, it will be much more effective tahn other shotguns, but i'll try to fix it somehow... Maybe add extra close-range damage for it.
Leadstormer: Well, you already can use dual wielding. Just find another UZI, and press altfire.
Mountcrusher: well... to be honestly, sounds and sprites (And 90% of animation) were stollen from Zero tolerance.
Stunrider: Energy spear usefull against large hord of enemies. You can check this at meaty maps (Sunder MAP01, for perhaps, with it's imp army at begining).
Bodycracker: well... Yes, i guess, i'll make player invulnerable to it's explosions.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
No problem. Take my feedback with a grain of salt if anything. I am just one person's opinion on the mod so don't change all the weapons just because a single person has issues ;-)

Currently the damage ranges for the shotguns are like so (because of how the rnd damage is (1, 8) because it is a projectile):

Revenger: (21 - 168)
SteelReaper: (21 - 168)
Gutcutter: (21 - 168)
QBS: (84 - 672)

If you look at the vanilla DOOM ranges, it is (the rnd damage is (1, 3):

Shotgun: (35 - 105)
SSG: (100 - 300)

You can start to see why the shotguns are a bit of an issue, especially the QBS. The lowest damage point is in the middle of the Gutcutter's range. It should be on the higher-end more than anything because if you would have shot every barrel with the QBS at a Lost Soul, there is a chance that it may not kill it in one shot. The SSG can if EVERY pullet hits but thats why you have to get real close. I think it is just a matter of modifying the ranges.

For the Uzi, I didn't even realize that you could dual wield! I assumed it was the change mode key, totally forgot about the alt fire!

I tried the Stunrider on some large hordes but it still doesn't feel right. It might just be an issue that it is ripping through enemies but it takes multiple shots to kill them, making it feel weak. The Bodycracker has a nice BAM to the penetration shot and it feels like an rail ripped and tore through the enemy (and killing them due to high damage) where the Stunrider also is piercing their body and flesh but they don't really flinch.
TheSkyBug

Post by TheSkyBug »

What have i done...

Just for fun. And some spoilers for incoming update.
TheSkyBug

Re: Head Hunter.v6 - Rebalancing and TNT

Post by TheSkyBug »

Update:

-Added throwable dynamite. Rarely spawns instead of rockets or rocket boxes (No, it's not like in video above).
-Removed pump-action shotgun. How waesome it looks, it was completely useless in game.
-Reworked the first shotgun, and balanced it.
-Rebalanced all another shotguns: they are now slower, but more powerfull.
-Reworked revolver. Now it shoots fast, and take only 1 bullet per shoot, but has a lower damage.
-Changed 6 slot first fire mode.
-Increased sword damage.

And some another features, that i may forget.
ALSO: For now, i'm not working on Zandro versions. Maybe when i've done the final version - i'll make Zandro patch, but not now.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”