DOOM Tribute Project - UPDATE: Vanilla Monsters Add-On

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Alando1

DOOM Tribute Project - UPDATE: Vanilla Monsters Add-On

Post by Alando1 »

Hey everyone, The DOOM Tribute Project is done! I thank all of those who were involved with the project. I couldn't have done it without all of your support :)

Below is some gameplay footage from the project. Please note that what you see in the footage may have changed in the current downloadable version.

***THE DOOM TRIBUTE PROJECT - LITE EDITION***
DT - Lite Edition is a weapon/gameplay mod compatible version of The DOOM Tribute Project. Sorry it took so long to do this but it's finally done! Enjoy! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7a7acds1zcjtc ... n.zip?dl=0

Universal Compatibility Patch for most weapon mods or if you want a complete Vanilla experience with classic Doom weapons only (This replaces the extra pistol & railgun with an ammo pickup):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3ydv9wl6xsdp ... p.wad?dl=0

**NEW** - Vanilla Monsters Add-on - NOW AVAILABLE! File download at the bottom of this post!

***FINAL RELEASE***

Here is the final release of The DOOM Tribute Project! Enjoy :)
(Below are links to the id games archive and Dropbox.)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... s/doomtrib

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89ktohhdluzwq ... n.zip?dl=0

***NEW! ALTERNATE SOUNDTRACK AVAILABLE!*** (4/25/16)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pl7e7vctypflg ... c.zip?dl=0

-Alando1
Attachments
DT-VanillaMonsters.wad
Vanilla Monsters Add-on - Replaces most custom monsters with default Doom counterparts.
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Last edited by Alando1 on Sun May 08, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 23 times in total.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta

Post by xenoxols »

Watched the video, levels look great great but the weapons don't look very fun to use.
Cire

Post by Cire »

I remember seeing a trailer of this a while ago, looks cool, will try to play through! :)
Janus3003

Post by Janus3003 »

I'm a little bit into the second level now, and here are some of my thoughts so far-

-Pea-shooter, not P-shooter
-Are we supposed to be jumping or not? I assumed we were because it's GZDoom (and I've played the Temple of the Lizardmen series), but the crates leading up to the red key made me wonder if it's not the case. Granted, they could just be there for people who hate jumping in FPSs.

-"Did I just interrupt a demonic board meeting?"

-Nice twists on the classic secrets so far. It's satisfying to find them again, in an "I will always find you, E1M1 Mega Armor, no matter how you hide!" sort of way.

-The mutated imps by the toxic waste made me chuckle. Nice one.

-This is very nitpicky, but I'll bring it up since the levels are so detailed and I can't stop noticing this- computer screens all say "Tei Tenga." Why not replace the texture with one that says Phobos?

I'm loving it so far!

---EDIT
Just finished all of the Map04 set, so here are a few more thoughts.
-Loved the fight in Map02c (dimensional/gateway research or whatever it was called). I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty, and I thought the fight was challenging, but not so much that it was irritating. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to keep everything in the choke hole (which didn't go quite as planned and made for even more chaotic fun).
----As an addendum, that fight had a great build-up to it, too.

-It's frustrating that the plasma zombies don't drop their weapons on death, and it's the same problem with the machine gun zombies. Given that all the others will drop shotguns and chainguns, it feels like the game is breaking its own rules. I can understand not wanting the player to have that kind of firepower at that point, but it might be better to replace the plasma zombies with demons of similar power. It would feel less cheap that way.

-Map01something had some issues with a secret door. In the E1M3 area, there's the door that opens near the yellow key, but it closes ridiculously quick. I didn't look in Doom Builder or anything, but playing around by that spot gave me the impression that there are multiple trigger lines for that door. The only way I could legitimately get to that door in time was by making sure I only tripped one of the outermost triggers.

-The Crusher's control switches are awesome, but the green switch doesn't light up when you use it to restart the Crusher. Took me a bit to realize that it was working.

-Map 04b (Map 5 in Doom II) has HOM behind the exit elevator.

Still having a great time!

---

-Found out you can get stuck in one of the larger lava crevices in Back to Hell by crouching through it.
-Had to no clip in Living End. The green room with the Pain Elementals and Cacodemons can be skipped by jumping onto the outside ledge (still unsure of whether or not I'm supposed to be jumping, because it certainly seemed like I needed to now and then). I later teleported into the secret area in that green room, but since I had skipped it earlier, the wall was still blocking the path.
-Nice surprise with the
Spoiler:
I didn't see that coming and went "OH CRAP" when I heard that sound.
-You axed the worst parts of the Pit and made Downtown fun to play. I applaud you.
----Jeez, Downtown was nuts.

Impressive work! I had a lot of fun with it.
Rustygold

Post by Rustygold »

Well I like this so far It gets me rock hard, Planning on finishing It soon.
Average

Post by Average »

I haven't had a chance to play much beyond the first map but I really like it so far. It's great to have more variety in the enemies including women. It makes the base feel more like a real place. Once I play more I'll give a little more feedback but all in all I look forward to seeing this finished. :)
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

is it possible just to have the maps without the extra items/monsters/weapons.

(so i can use other mods with this like Project MSX, Lizard Squad, Nazis, The Space Pirate,ect)
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Good to hear things are going well with the beta testing.

@Janus3003 - Thank you for testing the beta version. I've looked over your critique and I'm going to look into some of those things mentioned regarding the HOM and some of the other mechanic problems you've indicated. Just to answer one of your questions regarding jumping, it is required in some levels. Out of your critique, I was intrigued about your statement regarding the certain zombie types. I do agree that it is a little weird for those particular zombies not to drop the weapon they are holding but I will look into your suggestion. I did however come up with an idea when you mentioned that - These particular enemies could be zombies or demons with a gun attached to their arms (like the Cyberdemon). I'll definitely take this into consideration and hopefully I will be able to make something awesome out of it. I'm thinking plasma guy with a plasma gun surgically attached to his arm... :)

Once again, thank you for beta testing and hopefully beta 1.2 will be even better :)

To all those who are also beta testing, thank you for also playing. Your feedback is appreciated.

-Alando1
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Janus3003 wrote:-"Did I just interrupt a demonic board meeting?"
"As you can see on the graph here, the Elemental departments' pain output is down by 4% this quarter..."
Rustygold

Post by Rustygold »

Just beat the first episode had only one texture problem, Other than that I felt right at home playing these maps. They were more complex than the originals but not enough to were I couldn't figure out what i was doing. Oh and I liked how you mixed some mops Into each-other like map 2,3, And 4.
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Dang just gave this a quick try i like what im seein here keep up there good work.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

The Thing Thing wrote:is it possible just to have the maps without the extra items/monsters/weapons.

(so i can use other mods with this like Project MSX, Lizard Squad, Nazis, The Space Pirate,ect)
If the playerclass declaration was moved to MAPINFO (as it should be) instead of KEYCONF, you would be able to play other mods with this.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

So, I liked this project. I liked it a lot. About the only complaint I have is an ammo issue in the seventh episode, where you have barely anything to kill all the monsters with in MAP07 and your ammo constraints only become slightly better until the Icon of Sin map, and then you have too much when all you need is about 5-7 rockets and give or take a BFG breather shot; the rest of the game feels entirely on par with the classical feel of Dooms 1 and 2, and had enjoyable explorable architecture to boot. There were also a couple tough spots in the other maps where you shoot rockets repeatedly at things to clear a hallway but this is otherwise manageable gameplay. Other notable mentions include spelling errors, the fact that the dual pistols DPS and chaingun DPS are similar enough to lodge a complaint that, logistically, you could do without one of them (stylistically, I think the dual pistols feel badass and shouldn't be removed because they're cool), and that the railgun has very limited use and could probably be scrapped from the project with no real loss. (Heck, it's entirely easily skippable in the Downtown map.)

One more thing, though: you mention "smooth weapons", but I know there are at least three other projects that actually do smooth out the weapons to one animation frame per tic. Your project doesn't, and it seems like you made a weird compromise between having smoothness and weapons that look classically animated. Does that explain this discrepancy?
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

@Zhs2 - Thank you for playing DOOM Tribute. I looked over your report and I do agree with some of the things you've mentioned. With episode 7, I do agree that ammo can be tight during some play-throughs. I will add some extra ammo to insure that there is enough for the player to hold out.

About the weapons, I think the load out is okay as is. Every player has his/her own combat style and their own preferred weapon set. Just like in Unreal, there are players who use a set of weapons more often than others. For example, I hardly ever use the GES Biorifle but there are other players who will find more use for it. Same thing with the Minigun and the Razor Jack. I only use these if the situation calls for it.

About the smooth weapon sprites, the ones included in the wad were old smooth graphics. I got them in a wad with the smooth graphics from Beautiful Doom three years ago. So the weapons you see are using old smooth weapon animations. The BFG 9000, however, is the only one from Eriance and his Demon Eclipse project.

I am curious about the spelling errors, though. If you can let me know where you've spotted them, that would be great.

Thank you again for beta testing and I'm happy you have enjoyed the project. :)

-Alando1
Alando1

Re: DOOM Tribute Project Open Beta 1.2

Post by Alando1 »

Hey guys, Beta 1.2 is now available at the beginning of the thread. I've fixed all specified level issues and modified some monsters. Please check out this new version and let me know how it is.

Thank you :)

-Alando1

Return to “Levels”