Quake weapon/gameplay mods?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Quake weapon/gameplay mods?

Post by wildweasel »

So it turns out that there are a lot of really cool Quake single-player maps out there. Like, a LOT of them. The thing is, though, I kind of don't like Quake's arsenal very much...at all. Are there any weapon or gameplay mods out there that refresh the arsenal a bit, or perhaps even completely replace it, while retaining the ability to play SP maps? I'm not looking for total conversion mods like After The Fall, and I'm not interested in multiplayer compatibility.

Now that I think of it, the old Future Vs Fantasy mod might be interesting, but I wonder if there's anything with slightly nicer-looking models?
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Quake weapon/gameplay mods?

Post by Zanieon »

Weapon skins have a ton around as well additional Characters, but unfortunately i haven't seen Quake community creating new content of this kind as the Unreal/Unreal Tournament community does (programming limitations maybe?)

leilei, where are you?
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

i recently just finished this for astral pathfinder, which is basically quake's weaponry + doom64 aesthetic. it also takes quake's weapon set and essentially gives it life and spices it up

here

its not 100% balanced tho as that will happen in the astral projection mod but the mod is completely able to be played stand alone at the least

edit TOTALLY MISREAD THIS HAHAHA thought this was in general for some reason!!
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Ya, Wildweasel is referring to Quake itself this time, not some backport made by us modders to Doom for 129834769278634th time.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

chronoteeth wrote:i recently just finished this for astral pathfinder, which is basically quake's weaponry + doom64 aesthetic. it also takes quake's weapon set and essentially gives it life and spices it up

here

its not 100% balanced tho as that will happen in the astral projection mod but the mod is completely able to be played stand alone at the least

edit TOTALLY MISREAD THIS HAHAHA thought this was in general for some reason!!
As cool as that is...well, it's still Quake's arsenal, in all honesty. And...yeah, wrong game. =P
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

The thing about Quake, it's not an easy game you can just simply drop a Riotgun sprite or double chainguns into, so mods that change weapon graphics with decent animation tend to be the ambitious or well crafted ones with effort put into them (or a talented coder creatively nabbing existing work)

With that in mind, there's PerQuake. Dates to 1998, it's found on idgames2/ and it's made by that Per. Has a lot of well polished weapons that stand the test of time as far as 90s weapon mods go. It even has two different chainsaws

as for revolvers, there aren't many. Ultimate Quake had a gunslinger class that had two six shooters with primitive reloading capabilities. Unreleased Versus 97 (one of my past ambitious 'joke' projects as a lighthearted mockery of 90s modder ambitions) also had a revolver that also tracked each chamber and could dryfire on them (and loaded super long which can even be interrupted by pain!). I also did something that had two S&W revolvers with scopes that sadly didn't mature to a releasable state.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

PerQuake is actually pretty cool, just about exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I wonder what else is out there? I remember an old-ish one that had dual pistols, but can't remember the name of it...
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Navy Seals. My favourite, has some new enviroments and weapons. This mod was ment to be designed with the original and some new enemies too. On the readme file, the modeler screwed up the gun models, so someone had to fix that.

Made by Gooseman, circa 1998.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Technically the same arsenal, at least, visually, but functions a good deal different. I found it quite fun when I used to play Quake. However, the creator is covering his ass 100% against copyright which means that you'll need to add your own sounds to some of the effects and features, such as critical hits. He provides a list however of what he used in the video.

Now here's my mod question: is there any Quake mod that centers the weapons properly? Makes nails look like they're actually fired from the end of the nailgun's barrel? Like a sprite fix project? (or rather, model fix project)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Lava Grunt wrote:Now here's my mod question: is there any Quake mod that centers the weapons properly? Makes nails look like they're actually fired from the end of the nailgun's barrel? Like a sprite fix project? (or rather, model fix project)
There's a few source ports are 'smart' enough to hack out interpolation for muzzleflash polys. In the context of pure Quake it's not really something to "fix"
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Maybe not fix in the gameplay sense but definitely in the visual sense. Though I share the same sentiment as WW on the lack of mods for Quake; I guess that's just how the cookie crumbled.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

by crumbled you mean quake2 took over the general modding interest, because that's what actually happened.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I meant crumbled in the sense that Quake's flame has been reduced to the size of a candle and probably will remain that way for how ever many years until it dwindles further; meaning the mods we see are pretty much the ones we get, at least as far as gameplay is concerned. Maybe something fresh and new will pop up in the future but I'm not betting on it. The scene is gonzo...has been gonzo. They went either here or some other Doom community, or, as you mentioned, over to Quake 2, though I can't speak for Quake 2.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Quake's go for easy modeling for many many many years was unfortunately the horrible crashy program qME. Unfortunately it was also shareware that had a crippling limitation of frames.

Quake2 had many many free MD2 editors with no limits (that didn't always support MDL)

so there you go
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Didn't the mission packs have some unique weapons? (Lava Nail Gun, that weird rocket-launcher from Abyss of Pandemonium)

Return to “Off-Topic”