OMG Weapons and Monsters! V5 - TENTH ANNIVERSARy EDITION

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Somagu

Re: OMG Weapons and Monsters! V4 - PK3, split downloads and

Post by Somagu »

deathz0r wrote:

July 14th! Enjoy this trailer that I made entirely tonight because I've been too busy IRL to make something more refined

Aw yiss, we got Agitated Macross Boners now.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Michael Bay Simulator.

10/10
doony

Post by doony »

hey, I have played this mod a lot with a map pack called doom2remix in zdaemon
its very cool, great to see its back :geek: :geek:
deathz0r
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: OMG Weapons and Monsters! V5 - TENTH ANNIVERSARy EDITION

Post by deathz0r »

TEN YEARS AGO TO THIS DAY

I uploaded this

and there was much rejoicing

Time has passed and many gameplay mods have come and gone, helping to keep the Doom community alive and kicking with oodles of talent, whether it is pushing ACS or DECORATE to the limits, or with high quality resources

Where does this stubborn old mod that still refuses to use custom monster sprites fit in today's community?

idk *shrug*

After an intense month and a half of coding (seriously, the DECORATE code went from a total size of 114,538 bytes in V4 to 364,591 bytes) and dropping my promise to wait for named ACS scripts in Zan 3.0, I've decided to go all out as much as I possibly could within the time and design constraints and did my best to provide the craziest OMGWPNS experience yet! Getting rid of my restraint for not having ACS code has allowed me to implement many features that could not have been possible otherwise, most importantly MUTATORS, OH BOY

Two new weapons and ten new monsters are waiting to be discovered for your (dis)pleasure, more balance changes and more palette translation improvements help to make this the tightest release yet! I've also done a thorough clean through the DECORATE code and removed all deprecated code, fixed many bugs with incorrect frame durations, sprite lumps and BRIGHT settings.

But that's not all! Curiousity got the better of me and I decided in the final days of development to try something completely different...

OMGWPNS can now be played in the Eternity Engine!

Ok, due to current limitations of the Eternity Engine only custom monsters are supported for now, there's a good amount of hacky code to make things work with a few graphical/gameplay glitches, monsters don't have the AMBUSH flag and it can crash on the rare occasion (at least on the latest Git build, haven't tested stable release thoroughly enough) but there's enough for an enjoyable experience! Only three monsters couldn't make the cut due to technical reasons, so that is an achievement by itself. I can't state enough how much I prefer Eternity's translation lumps over DECORATE's translation, but that's not really relevant.

I've ranted on enough, read the new Mutators section and the changelog in the OP for all of the changes!

Full mod:
OMG Weapons and Monsters! V5

Individual downloads:
OMG Weapons! V5
OMG Monsters! V5

(I will post ZDoom patch PK3s with SXF_TRANSFERSPECIAL for the weapon and monster spawners tomorrow)
Big C

Post by Big C »

This is surprisingly fun! I especially like the teleporting ninja imp and the lightning shotgun.

Will there ever be a non-vanilla weapons only mutator like the non-vanilla monsters mutator?
deathz0r

Post by deathz0r »

Thanks!

I've considered it, but decided not to implement it for the current version due to time constraints. I'm going to improve the spawn systems in the next version, amongst other neat ideas.
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

Was the Skeleboner missile attack anime-inspired?
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

Great (and in some way agitated) release, man :-)
deathz0r

Post by deathz0r »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote:Was the Skeleboner missile attack anime-inspired?
Yeah, my idea for it was literally "I need to make a Macross Revenant"
merlin86 wrote:Great (and in some way agitated) release, man :-)
Thanks! I have quite a hefty list of things to do for the next version, but I've been taking a break after how hard I went on getting V5 done in time. No more strict deadlines for me!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”