Varia Doom Visor

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LanHikariDS

Varia Doom Visor

Post by LanHikariDS »

Varia Doom Visor is a HUD mod for ZDoom, based off of Mike12's Doomvisor mod. It's mostly the same as the Doomvisor, except I did some custom work with the graphics and code, to give it a Metroid Prime theme. The HUD looks best if you set Force Video Mode to 4:3 in ZDoom's Video settings
EDIT 8/6/2015: Realigned ammo counters; expanded counters to 3 digits
EDIT 8/8/2016: Completely revamped ammo counters, providing as separate version, in case anyone prefers the more faithful version.

Credits:
Mike12
Nintendo/Retro Studios
Patrik

Download:https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2ungv47skrzs ... r.pk3?dl=1
Spoiler:
Last edited by LanHikariDS on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Doomguy5th

Re: Varia Doom Visor

Post by Doomguy5th »

I've only tested this with my Brutal Doom Sub-Mod (no hate please... thanks), but I must say, the fullscreen HUD looks rather familia...

Code: Select all

// The Fullscreen HUD is a variant on wwhud-doom64-v2 with ammo icons added.
Oh, never mind.

So I went on, and kept on playing the mod. The HUD with the sounds reminds me of Metroid for some odd reason. One thing that really bothered me with the WW-Doomnukem HUD is the fact that the ammo is set to 99 if it's higher that that number.

Other than that, it's a good HUD. I just got a small bug playing this with my little addon for BD (it's not that big), but everything else looks pretty good in my opinion!

EDIT: OK just curious, but why is there a Brutal Doom punching sprite left in the HUD mod's Sprites folder? (it's LOADFIST.png)
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

DoomCraft wrote:I've only tested this with my Brutal Doom Sub-Mod (no hate please... thanks), but I must say, the fullscreen HUD looks rather familia...

// The Fullscreen HUD is a variant on wwhud-doom64-v2 with ammo icons added.
Oh, never mind.

So I went on, and kept on playing the mod. The HUD with the sounds reminds me of Metroid for some odd reason. One thing that really bothered me with the WW-Doomnukem HUD is the fact that the ammo is set to 99 if it's higher that that number.

Other than that, it's a good HUD. I just got a small bug playing this with my little addon for BD (it's not that big), but everything else looks pretty good in my opinion!

EDIT: OK just curious, but why is there a Brutal Doom punching sprite left in the HUD mod's Sprites folder? (it's LOADFIST.png)
No hate here. I enjoy Brutal Doom, even if everyone does hate the creator. It was actually because of Brutal Doom that I found something I forgot to change and patched.

I didn't touch the Fullscreen HUD, that's from the original Doomvisor. If I knew more about what I was doing, I'd have the fullscreen HUD be the same as what's shown in the screenshot, but I don't, so I can't.

Metroid, you say? Gee, I wonder about that... :P
As for the 99 cap, again, if I knew what I was doing, I'd fix that

A bug? Please, do tell.

As far as that fist goes, I'm aware that it's there, it was in the original Doomvisor, and I'm not sure about it myself, so I just kinda left it there. It wasn't hurting anything, so screw it.
patrik

Post by patrik »

LanHikariDS wrote: As for the 99 cap, again, if I knew what I was doing, I'd fix that
If you want to have displayed 3 digits for ammo counter instead of 2, you have to edit Sbarinfo.txt, and there change this:

Alpha 0.75
		DrawNumber 2, DIGIFONT_LARGE, DoomNukemStatusBarGreen, Ammo1, Alignment(right), fillzeros, 304, 121;
		Alpha 0.75
		DrawNumber 2, DIGIFONT_SMALL, DoomNukemStatusBarGreen, Ammo2, Alignment(left), fillzeros, 278, 178;
to this:

Alpha 0.75
		DrawNumber 3, DIGIFONT_LARGE, DoomNukemStatusBarGreen, Ammo1, Alignment(right), fillzeros, 304, 121;
		Alpha 0.75
		DrawNumber 3, DIGIFONT_SMALL, DoomNukemStatusBarGreen, Ammo2, Alignment(left), fillzeros, 278, 178;
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

LanHikariDS wrote:
A bug? Please, do tell.

As far as that fist goes, I'm aware that it's there, it was in the original Doomvisor, and I'm not sure about it myself, so I just kinda left it there. It wasn't hurting anything, so screw it.
Was testing my BD arsenal mod, then when I pulled out a random Glock 17, this happened with the Fullscreen HUD.
Spoiler:
The weapon that was shown was a modified version of this weapon:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/a ... k17-pistol

All sprite names from that addon were kept the same. No changes to names at all.. The sprite that's blocking my view is "GLOCAO"
AD_79

Post by AD_79 »

I like it, messed around with it in Plutonia (just that, mind you, no extra gameplay mod things) and it works rather well, aside from the already mentioned 99 cap.
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

DoomCraft wrote:
LanHikariDS wrote:
A bug? Please, do tell.

Was testing my BD arsenal mod, then when I pulled out a random Glock 17, this happened with the Fullscreen HUD.
Spoiler:

All sprite names from that addon were kept the same. No changes to names at all.. The sprite that's blocking my view is "GLOCAO"
Ah. Again, I didn't work on the Fullscreen HUD, so I don't know what to say there. Does it do the same with the visor up? I could try fix it here, but you may want to get in touch with Mike12, as the coding is originally his design. Everything looked fine to me, except the bug I mentioned before wasn't actually fixed in that upload, it seems.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

LanHikariDS wrote:
DoomCraft wrote:
LanHikariDS wrote:
A bug? Please, do tell.

Spoiler:

Ah. Again, I didn't work on the Fullscreen HUD, so I don't know what to say there. Does it do the same with the visor up? I could try fix it here, but you may want to get in touch with Mike12, as the coding is originally his design. Everything looked fine to me, except the bug I mentioned before wasn't actually fixed in that upload, it seems.
The bug isn't that big, since it only happens with my little sub-arsenal for BD. Everything else works perfectly on Vanilla Doom, and other mods :P
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

DoomCraft wrote: The bug isn't that big, since it only happens with my little sub-arsenal for BD. Everything else works perfectly on Vanilla Doom, and other mods :P
But I did use your Glock mod, and it didn't happen with me
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20150806_162602.png
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

LanHikariDS wrote:
DoomCraft wrote: The bug isn't that big, since it only happens with my little sub-arsenal for BD. Everything else works perfectly on Vanilla Doom, and other mods :P
I already fixed it, but thanks.
Spoiler:
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

DoomCraft wrote:
LanHikariDS wrote:
I already fixed it, but thanks.
Spoiler:
Okey
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

BUMP: Finally updated after an entire year of inactivity.
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Im not sure if the problem is on my end, or if the visor is supposed to look this way.

I like the look of this, but it just doesn't feel right trying to play the way it is atm.

Is there a way to stretch the hud and / or visor so that it fits the screen? I play in 1360 x 768 if that matters at all.
LanHikariDS

Post by LanHikariDS »

JimpArgon wrote:Im not sure if the problem is on my end, or if the visor is supposed to look this way.

I like the look of this, but it just doesn't feel right trying to play the way it is atm.

Is there a way to stretch the hud and / or visor so that it fits the screen? I play in 1360 x 768 if that matters at all.
As I said in the OP, go into Options>Set Video Mode>Force Aspect Ratio and set it to 4:3
JimpArgon

Post by JimpArgon »

Ah, thanks. I must have skimmed over that.

Appreciate it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”