Bad games to avoid...

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Bad games to avoid...

Post by Oberron »

Unlike the "Bad movies to avoid..." thread, I'd go with another, but similar:
What bad games do you wish to avoid?
Mine would be the former Quake 2 mod Alien Arena.
Last edited by Oberron on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nevander

Re: Bad games to avoid...

Post by Nevander »

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Seriously. Never play it.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

Anything on Steam by Digital Homicide (Inc.).
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

You can buy their garbage for less than a quarter though. Inb4 you're the "sold cards for profit 10/10 would idle again" guy GTFO.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

The Stalin Subway: Red Veil. It's an awful first person shooter that doesn't even run unless you replace one of the DLLs. And then it's a mess of broken cutscenes, broken gameplay, and inexplicable load times. Which is too bad, because the plot is actually kind of promising.

World of Guns: Gun Disassembly. It's not a bad game, but if there's one type of game that absolutely should not be a free to play/pay to win grinding type game, it's a gun simulator. Imagine if, say, Microsoft Flight Simulator required you to unlock new planes.

Kill The Bad Guy. An interesting idea, but too much puzzler, not enough sandbox, and the art style makes it almost impossible to play.

Organ Trail: Director's Cut. Only the Director's Cut version. It takes the original, which is basically a straight reskin of Oregon Trail, and makes it stupidly overcomplicated.
Nevander wrote:Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Seriously. Never play it.
Why? The pay for the game, then pay more for all this junk model sucks, but if you ignore all that, it's basically just a slightly improved version of Counter-Strike. It's more a mediocre or overrated game than a truly bad one in my opinion.

But if we are going to include games that are bad but not really, really bad, or ones that just didn't work for us...

Skyrim. I just couldn't get into it; it had no immersion for me. The world is big, but it's incredibly flat. There's lots to do, but none of it seems worthwhile. The story didn't draw me in and the storytelling was bad. The pacing is glacial. I tried playing a variety of different ways and finally gave up after just under thirty hours total. A friend told me I had to play at least 20 hours on one character to really get into it. Well, if a game can't draw me in within the first hour, then it's a lost cause and I'm not going to put more into it. I really wanted to like this game, but just couldn't.

Shadow Warrior (the remake). I found the gameplay overcomplicated and frustrating and the "completely non-racist" game had zero edge to its humour.

Mass Effect 3. A lousy and inexplicable ending that was never quite fixed combined with a confused mess of a game in both story and gameplay. A mediocre way to cap off a fantastic series.

Call of Duty Ghosts. I'm one of the few guys around here who actually likes Call of Duty, and I thought this game was junk. It's so nonsensical and over-the-top that I actually mistook it for a self-deprecating parody at some points.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter. It's like the dev team didn't talk to each other. The gameplay is basically like Call of Duty, except worse, but it's the story that kills it for me. It's a jingoistic and oddly sexist mess that jumps all over the place and comes together to make absolutely zero sense.

Serious Sam. I had fond memories of this game, but when I picked up the HD version recently, I found that it had actually managed to make killing droves of enemies boring. I had to force my way through the first episode and gave up after that.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

The Chosen: Well of Souls.

It's so obscure anyway that the chances of you getting it is low. It's a Diablo knockoff but it fails thanks to poor quality character design, having only three classes, bad VA and limited resources. The enemies do not respawn and unlike Diablo or WoW, it's not a game where you can freely roam to grind. The enemies do not even respawn anyway and the amount of them in a map is at a fixed rate. And worse, the items are expensive and the money is rare to begin with. What the hell they were thinking?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DLC Quest. It's supposed to be satirical, forcing you to grind in-game coins to afford DLC packs that allow you to bypass barriers (disabling random encounters, giving you a gun, adding zombies, horse armor), but it has the least appealing visual style I've ever seen (the author calls it "retro" but it's not doing a good job of it), and there's really nothing to DO in this game aside from wander around and be fed unfunny jokes. If you're ever considering playing it, ask yourself this: have you been in a video game community anytime between 2006 and today? If so, you've probably already heard every joke this game can tell, with better delivery to boot.
BlackLagoon

Post by BlackLagoon »

Mfw I've literally played all these games and hated them too.
I'll add: Wolfenstein: The New Order.
You move like a tank, are forced to do crappy fetch quests all the time and the fucking plot is annoying and tedious.
Also too much focus on pointless stealth and 'realism'
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

BlackLagoon wrote:Mfw I've literally played all these games and hated them too.
You move like a tank, are forced to do crappy fetch quests all the time and the fucking plot is annoying and tedious.
I'd say this is a matter of taste, as I found The New Order was one of the best FPS games of the last year.
BlackLagoon

Post by BlackLagoon »

wildweasel wrote:
BlackLagoon wrote:Mfw I've literally played all these games and hated them too.
I'd say this is a matter of taste, as I found The New Order was one of the best FPS games of the last year.
Toxikk is the only shooter I'm enjoying nowadays.
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Redneck Rampage. Half of the game I was scratching my head at what to do or why this did that. The other half I was internally screaming when I died for the 5 millionth time, even on the easiest setting. The crudeness of everything - from the engine to its humor - is also a pretty big turnoff.

I also cringe at Duke Nukem 3D, love a lot of clunky games because they're clunky, and have a hatred for everyone's favorite non-Call-of-Duty game (starts with a P), so you're probably better off asking a cactus for hugs.
Blox

Post by Blox »

I can tell you what game not to avoid - you should definitely not avoid giving Nox a spin.

unless you hate good action-"rpg"s
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

ROTT '13, Toxikk, Wrack, Duke Forever, The Slaughtering Grounds, Strafe
BlackLagoon

Post by BlackLagoon »

leileilol wrote:ROTT '13, Toxikk, Wrack, Duke Forever, The Slaughtering Grounds, Strafe
Toxikk.
The only good Arena FPS in over a decade is bad.
Kay.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

except i've played it before when it was called UT3 and it's nothing like the 1999 games it claims to be and is more akin to a standard UDK kit game. Viral revisionist history

Return to “Off-Topic”