The "How do I..." Thread

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
DoomKrakken

Re: The "How do I..." Thread

Post by DoomKrakken »

Cansteam wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote: Anyway, would any of you be able to show me, at least an example, of how to implement a "disintegrate" deathtype within the DECORATE codes for the listed examples, and how to get monsters to respond to those deathtypes?
Death:
blablablablabla
stop

Death.Disintegrate:
blablablablabla
stop
Thanks. :|
kodi

Post by kodi »

What's the best program for simply previewing .md2/3 models?
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

DoomKrakken wrote:
Cansteam wrote:
DoomKrakken wrote: Anyway, would any of you be able to show me, at least an example, of how to implement a "disintegrate" deathtype within the DECORATE codes for the listed examples, and how to get monsters to respond to those deathtypes?
Death:
blablablablabla
stop

Death.Disintegrate:
blablablablabla
stop
Thanks. :|

it actually makes way more sense than youd think.

take a look at brutal doom (under the monster lumps) to get a full description...but basically...this is exactly right.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

kodi wrote:What's the best program for simply previewing .md2/3 models?
Misfit Model 3D 1.3.8
Noesis version 4.12
Model from Enjay's GENE-TECH: Before the Storm

[edit]
added links
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

how do i make it so a particle (in this case, a spark) disappears when it hits water?
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

Hey, me again (ugh I'm sorry)
But quick question, how would I make an item a rare drop from an enemy? (example: Zombieman has a rare chance to drop a chaingun)
edward850

Post by edward850 »

The [wiki=Actor_properties#DropItem]DropItem[/wiki] actor property supports a probability, from 0 (never) to 255 (always). So 1 would be a 0.39216% chance, statistically anyway.
snarkel

Post by snarkel »

edward850 wrote:The [wiki=Actor_properties#DropItem]DropItem[/wiki] actor property supports a probability, from 0 (never) to 255 (always). So 1 would be a 0.39216% chance, statistically anyway.
I knew that but how would I put it in DECORATE?

dropitem "Actor_Name" (1, 1)

I tried something like this but I got an error.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

It shows you on that page, and is the same syntax as everything else in decorate:

Code: Select all

dropitem "Actor_Name", 1, 1
Although you don't need an amount defined for something that isn't ammo.
snarkel

Post by snarkel »

edward850 wrote:It shows you on that page, and is the same syntax as everything else in decorate:

Code: Select all

dropitem "Actor_Name", 1, 1
Although you don't need an amount defined for something that isn't ammo.
Alright thanks, I got it figured out :D
koopanique

Post by koopanique »

Hello,
I made a monster that has 50% chance of resurecting after it has been killed; to achieve that I utilise a A_JUMP action function in its death state, that has 127/255 chance of sending him to a custom fake death state, where it falls, stay on the ground for a few seconds and then rises again.
It kinda works, because when I kill it, sometimes it stays dead, sometimes it revives and rises again. However, when it revives, I can't kill it anymore! Any bullet/projectile I throw at it passes through its body.
I think this is due to the fact that his health is in fact 0, since I killed it a first time.

Thus my question is this :
How could I make it so when the monster revives, it also regains all its health points? Is there an action function that could give health to an actor when it enters a certain frame?
Thanks!
edward850

Post by edward850 »

You haven't actually revived it at all, you just dumped a dead monster into a different set of frames, which is not going to do anything other than exactly what you told it to do.
If you want to raise something properly, you need to actually raise it.
koopanique

Post by koopanique »

You haven't actually revived it at all, you just dumped a dead monster into a different set of frames, which is not going to do anything other than exactly what you told it to do.
If you want to raise something properly, you need to actually raise it.
Oh wow that's just what I needed. Thank you so much. Yeah I figured that the monster was dead even after being 'revived' and that it the problem came from that, from the fact it had 0 HP left even after being 'revived'...
Thing_Raise is indeed what I need.

While I'm at it, I'd like to place my Player1Start on a 3D floor; is this even possible in ZDoom ? When I set its Z position as higher than the actual ground below the 3D floor, it stills spawns the player on the ground, below the 3D floor. Anyway to counter that ?
Thanks!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

cortlong50 wrote:how do i make it so a particle (in this case, a spark) disappears when it hits water?
Something from this raindrop actor might help:
Spoiler:
Specifically the "A_JumpIf(waterlevel ..." stuff.

That will work for deep water. As for regular water flats... not sure.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

koopanique wrote:While I'm at it, I'd like to place my Player1Start on a 3D floor; is this even possible in ZDoom ? When I set its Z position as higher than the actual ground below the 3D floor, it stills spawns the player on the ground, below the 3D floor. Anyway to counter that ?
Thanks!
In your mapinfo definition, set the [wiki=Map_definition#UsePlayerStartZ]UsePlayerStartZ[/wiki] flag.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”