Virtual reality can cure phobias (allegedly)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
stevevr

Virtual reality can cure phobias (allegedly)

Post by stevevr »

An Aussie professor claims VR can cure phobias and I'm curious as to what phobia you're hoping it will help you overcome - if her allegation is actually true.

Mine is fear of heights.
TheBadHustlex

Re: Virtual reality can cure phobias (allegedly)

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Any source?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

stevevr wrote:An Aussie professor claims VR can cure phobias and I'm curious as to what phobia you're hoping it will help you overcome - if her allegation is actually true.

Mine is fear of heights.
Hmmm...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... -allegedly

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=170271

Identical posts on three forums (one with the same name as here)? Joined ZDoom recently? Spam account? Maybe not looking at his other posts here.
BlackLagoon

Post by BlackLagoon »

What if you have a fear of sex?
(^^)
Spoiler:
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Sounds spammy.
Shadelight

Post by Shadelight »

Seems to be that way. Found the same posts on a few other forums too. Can't link at the moment though.
Trooper 077

Post by Trooper 077 »

I am literally petrified of learning how to drive
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah, I Google-searched the text of his post and found a bunch of seemingly disparate users posting the exact same topic, all this morning, all on different forums. I'm not sure what's going on. He doesn't look like a spam bot, but I am just not sure what could motivate someone to crosspost that much...
Big C

Post by Big C »

wildweasel wrote:Yeah, I Google-searched the text of his post and found a bunch of seemingly disparate users posting the exact same topic, all this morning, all on different forums. I'm not sure what's going on. He doesn't look like a spam bot, but I am just not sure what could motivate someone to crosspost that much...
I want to say viral marketing except there's no specific product being marketed.
stevevr

Post by stevevr »

Enjay wrote:
stevevr wrote:An Aussie professor claims VR can cure phobias and I'm curious as to what phobia you're hoping it will help you overcome - if her allegation is actually true.

Mine is fear of heights.
Hmmm...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... -allegedly

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=170271

Identical posts on three forums (one with the same name as here)? Joined ZDoom recently? Spam account? Maybe not looking at his other posts here.
No,posted on different forums to get different opinions because each forum has got a whole different bunch of people - not everyone hangs out on the same forums - and as you can see, my name is the same on ALL of them :)
stevevr

Post by stevevr »

TheBadHustlex wrote:Any source?
My bad I should have linked the NEWS article but it was way too early in the morning for me when I posted - here it is: http://www.couriermail.com.au/business/ ... 7456043783
stevevr

Post by stevevr »

The conspiracy theories here are rather entertaining but no viral marketing, no spamming, no product to sell, just looking for opinions about fears.

That's all folks. sorry to disappoint you by not living up to any theories you built up in your heads :D
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

You shouldn't make several posts in quick succession, if you want to quickly express something after you submitted a post, you can edit it and add more text. It's not really a big deal, but it's not good when there's only two minutes between each reply.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

stevevr wrote:and as you can see, my name is the same on ALL of them :)
BBBBBut, on The Escapist, it was posted by "oioiboi". :P

And now that you have linked to the article there's not really any more worthwhile information. It's a minimal article saying that there will be some VR on display at the Queensland University of Technology open day and a completely unsupported statement that says "It can be used in a variety of ways, from helping people overcome phobias to assisting an injured person to walk." That's it. After a quick poke around their site, I have come to the conclusion that "The Courier Mail" is a shitty news outlet dealing in tabloid headlines, shitty clickbait stories and general bullshit. The article itself is really just an advert/notification of the QUT open day - and it's not even a particularly good article for doing that either.

If you'd wanted opinions about fears, you'd probably have been better simply asking about peoples' fears rather than alluding to such a poor article with its throwaway statement. The way that you phrased your post made it sound like there was some actual research and facts to be read about (although, the lack of source was always going to be an obstacle :P ). Making that post on a bunch of forums and then monitoring them for replies is an impressive feat of some kind I guess. :trippy:

My phobia? I'm terrified of VR. Take that Dr Debra Polson. Image :P
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Enjay wrote: My phobia? I'm terrified of VR. Take that Dr Debra Polson. Image :P
Can be cured by playing Doom in VR in Doom. Or maybe Doom in Doom in VR.

Return to “Off-Topic”