The Mansion: Ao Oni

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Yommiao

The Mansion: Ao Oni

Post by Yommiao »

Greetings, members of the ZDoom community!

Today the final release date of the Mansion project has arrived, at last! Hopefully, the two years of development were worth it!

To encapsulate, the Mansion project, is a game that essentially recreates Ao Oni in 3D, allowing people to play the game in a new perspective of view. While additionally offering extra content that wasn't present in the original game. One should take note that a major difference between the original Ao Oni and this game are the chase sequences. While the original made use of a time mechanic, this game instead relies on luring the Oni to rooms. Almost each room and closet can be used at least once as a safespot from the Oni. If the player evades the Oni too quickly, chances are he will get stuck due to Doom's inferior A.I. Hopefully, this will not interrupt or prove a significant annoyance during regular gameplay.

It contains 10 playable classes, the Mansion map divided in two maps, and two other bonus levels. Which adds up to a total amount of 4 maps.

Download the mod here!

STORY:
Spoiler:
CLASSES:
Spoiler:
SCREENHOTS:
Spoiler:
Surely, I would welcome constructive criticism and feedback, remember. I don't perceive this as the best Doom project myself either, so please rate it and leave a message behind to share your thoughts about this! Thanks in advance.

CREDIT:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Yommiao on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grouchbag

Re: The Mansion: Ao Oni

Post by grouchbag »

I like the looks of this.The sky is very beautiful as well.Will play tomorrow. :D
doony

Post by doony »

Madotsuki is a playable character ?! downloading... :!: :!:
Yommiao

Post by Yommiao »

grouchbag wrote:I like the looks of this.The sky is very beautiful as well.Will play tomorrow. :D
Thank you! I applied my utmost efforts into this wad, so it's great to hear at least one person likes it! c:
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Oh yeah, I remember this. Used to be Hihicyclyn's project before she left Doom modding apparently. Said she'd let anyone continue it if they wanted, I considered doing so but I guess now I don't have to.

I'm still not too keen on Mr. Game n Watch being a playable in a horror mod, or all the weird memes like Sonic.exe or I.M. Meen running around. Kind of too silly, that.
Yommiao

Post by Yommiao »

Jaxxoon R wrote:Oh yeah, I remember this. Used to be Hihicyclyn's project before she left Doom modding apparently. Said she'd let anyone continue it if they wanted, I considered doing so but I guess now I don't have to.

I'm still not too keen on Mr. Game n Watch being a playable in a horror mod, or all the weird memes like Sonic.exe or I.M. Meen running around. Kind of too silly, that.
Actually, I.M. Meen is already absent, MR. Game & Watch is just one of those few unusual classes that contrast a bit more with the other classes. Everything related to memes, or stupid jokes is removed aside from Sonic.exe.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I'm still traumatized with that ao oni vesion with a single 70mb wave music
Yommiao

Post by Yommiao »

ibm5155 wrote:I'm still traumatized with that ao oni vesion with a single 70mb wave music
That's a pretty bad excuse for disliking the modification. That's completely irrelevant to what this mod is today, and shouldn't be mentioned in a version where those issues are long gone. If you're really so inclined to complain, then do it about something that's in regards to the latest version.
SamuraiSTALIN

Post by SamuraiSTALIN »

Yommiao wrote:
ibm5155 wrote:I'm still traumatized with that ao oni vesion with a single 70mb wave music
That's a pretty bad excuse for disliking the modification. That's completely irrelevant to what this mod is today, and shouldn't be mentioned in a version where those issues are long gone. If you're really so inclined to complain, then do it about something that's in regards to the latest version.
Whoa there, pickle. Where did he say he disliked it? So much for responding to criticism :roll:
Yommiao

Post by Yommiao »

SamuraiSTALIN wrote:
Yommiao wrote:
Whoa there, pickle. Where did he say he disliked it? So much for responding to criticism :roll:
I just found his quote unnecessary, and it doesn't even qualify as criticism since it's not relevant to this mod. A statement like that gives me the feeling that all this work of improvement was for nothing because some people will perceive the game in the same way, regardless of the changes, don't pull conclusions if you haven't even played the modification itself. I have complete respect for people who criticize the game for valid points, and this was not one.

Besides, my response was completely polite and did not contain insults at all. You're the one who's nitpicking on me for no reason whatsoever.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Putting WAD files in the root of PK3 files is VERY bad. Why are you even using a PK3? This mod is literally just a WAD file inside a PK3.
Doing this wastes RAM. You're loading a ~73 MB WAD file into RAM for no reason. Seriously, make the download just the WAD file.
SamuraiSTALIN

Post by SamuraiSTALIN »

Yommiao wrote:
Besides, my response was completely polite and did not contain insults at all. You're the one who's nitpicking on me for no reason whatsoever.
Last edited by SamuraiSTALIN on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yommiao

Post by Yommiao »

phantombeta wrote:Putting WAD files in the root of PK3 files is VERY bad. Why are you even using a PK3? This mod is literally just a WAD file inside a PK3.
Doing this wastes RAM. You're loading a ~73 MB WAD file into RAM for no reason. Seriously, make the download just the WAD file.
All right. One of my friends gave me that suggestion and it convinced me due to the fact that the filesize decreased upon doing this, but if you say so, I will change it ASAP.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Ideally, you could do this instead:
[wiki]Using ZIPs as WAD replacement[/wiki]
Yommiao

Post by Yommiao »

SamuraiSTALIN wrote:Image
Oh, my! What a legitmate response! Nice try circumventing confrontation with facts by childishly posting a GIF!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”