[Software] Custom wad/pk3 loader

Launchers like ZDL, DoomRunner, and others belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
armisius

[Software] Custom wad/pk3 loader

Post by armisius »

You have a lot of maps and therefore you're tired of managing lot of files? Unofficial GZDoom Launcher makes this a lot easier, just choose your IWAD and your custom files and press launch! And enjoy your favorites maps in no time!

Hiii I'm Armisius and I'm developing this software to ease the custom maps launching in GZDoom, I did this because I was tired of D&Ding (drag 'n drop) in the gzdoom.exe (also didn't googled for a launcher because I'm lazy as f***, and yes, I prefeer to make my own software)and with this is lot easier because saves the configuration for each wadpack or pk3pack or mappack however you want to name it, and then is easier to launch and have everything organized.

Let me now what you think about this! (Reviews, comments, recommendations)
For Admins: It's ok if I use puush.me to upload?
Spoiler:
Config file where everything is saved:
Spoiler:
If you think this is not apropiate just don't be agressive, have in mind that this work took time!
SamuraiSTALIN

Re: [Software] Custom wad/pk3 loader

Post by SamuraiSTALIN »

What advantage does this program have over, say, ZDL?
armisius

Post by armisius »

SamuraiSTALIN wrote:What advantage does this program have over, say, ZDL?
I don't even know really... Just that my launcher's size is 1mb :v, its something I've tried
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

ZDL is 40 Kb. Anything else?..
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Unless by "1mb" you actually mean 1 Megabit (0.125MB / 125KB), and not 1MB, that is rather substantially large for a basic GUI launcher.
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

here my 2 cents: the launcher seems easy, maybe too easy. With ZDL (or ZDE) I can launch/join network games, use DMFLAGS(2), edit some basic options, save/load/quick load profiles. A neat feature that you could implement are checkboxes for DMFLAGS(2) instead of typing their values (but if they change their values could be a mess). So, the question you could ask yourself is "why a guy should use my launcher?" maybe checking other launchers. IMHO being "lazy" it's not an excuse for making mediocre software (my personal opinion, which can be wrong for you)
armisius

Post by armisius »

Ok, I'll make it worth, but also, ZDL is 14MB not 40KB.... Image
merlin86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by merlin86 »

Actually main executable only is 1.4 megs... Maxed got wrong? Anyway if you put some beta online we could give a try...
armisius

Post by armisius »

Yeah 1.4 Mb for the executable, but if you delete all those DLLs it will not work, so, when you're determinig the programs size, you should add the DLLs you've used to make it run, my executable needs nothing but itself (1.179 KB)
MaxED

Post by MaxED »

I ment ZDL 3.1. And it IS 40 Kb.
Attachments
ZDL 3.1.rar
(16.05 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

I'm not going to knock this program just because it seems lesser than ZDL. It's nice to see someone delve into launcher/frontend coding. Maybe see about trying to add a few features on, perhaps? A more advanced menu for setting DMFLAGS would be neat.
armisius

Post by armisius »

This project is super pre-alpha, I'm not coming back here until I get something Stable and user-friendly. See you soon.
doony

Post by doony »

this programs for load wads are very cool since many mods use multiple wads or pk3 files, and some mods are incompatible to newer versions of zdoom, gzdoom not to mention the ones only avaliable for other sourceports like risen3d, edge or zandronum for example
I got problems for load wads properly many times already and I'm happy someone is fixing that
there is no problem have in have many ways to do the same thing, more means better :)
Average

Post by Average »

I'm always on the lookout for a shiny new launcher so I'm eager to see what you come back with. I've got a few ideas of what I'd personally like to see added to a 'basic' launcher that I've yet to see but I'll hold back sharing them with you (if you're even interested!) until you come back with your next stable release. :)

Anyway, welcome to the forum and good luck. :)
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

I stick by my decision to use nothing but Hobomaster's Doom Launcher forever until Windows 67 1/2 comes along and ruins backwards compatibility, whereupon I will load it in GLASSBOCS along with the GLZERTERNITY++ source port developed by friendly maverick reploids and reptilians from deep within the earth's crust.

Return to “Launchers”