June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Jaxxoon R

Re: June 14th: Doom 4 Gameplay Reveal (Teaser Inside)

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Devianteist wrote:Just got off the Doomworld forums, and I must say the opinions about Doom 4 are rather polarized in both pathetic and hysterical extremes. There are a large number of reasonable perspectives, though, so yay.
Ohohoho well, I can only hope I'm one of the reasonable ones!
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

It definitely looks like it could be a rail gun since it seems to have 2 prongs on the sides with an opening for something to come out of, it's not bulky enough to be the BFG.
Jaxxoon R wrote: Ohohoho well, I can only hope I'm one of the reasonable ones!

Same, my only real beefs were it appearing to be too linear and the aesthetics being too restrictive in their colors and it seems both of those are being addressed for the most part. I just hope there are secret areas, can't have a Doom game if you aren't humping every wall to see if there's something behind it. :lol:
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

That thing is neither the BFG or the railgun. Both of those weapons can be seen clearly in the trailers. So it is either a new weapon or a different firing mode for an existing weapon.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Rewatching the trailer, i think it could be a part of the bfg animation when you first obtain it, but it could be anything.
It could be that the amount of weapons is even higher than Quake 4's (including the napalm thing), since at some points in the trailer i saw some weapons that were seemingly the same have different names in the weapon wheel (but that could just be me needing to sleep), a sniper rifle and a different rocket launcher in the multiplayer trailer.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

I know for a fact that some weapons have alternate firing modes. The plasma gun has a stun shot thing, and the chainsaw has something called "super chainsaw" or something. We've already seen the alternate modes for the shotgun and the heavy assault rifle.

Speaking of which, the heavy assault rifle, the chaingun, and the plasma gun all appear to be essentially the same weapon.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Jaxxoon R wrote:
Devianteist wrote:Just got off the Doomworld forums, and I must say the opinions about Doom 4 are rather polarized in both pathetic and hysterical extremes. There are a large number of reasonable perspectives, though, so yay.
Ohohoho well, I can only hope I'm one of the reasonable ones!
Can't honestly say I've seen any of your or MetroidJunkie's posts, unless you go by different usernames on DW.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

The author of Project Brutality not only managed to go to Quakecon, but he also got to converse with Marty Stratton himself:
They've played Project Brutality and I got a compliment from him actually, and yes he said Brutal Doom was the one thing that stood out because the amount of praise it has received, but he knows that some people "hate" brutal doom for whatever reason and wanted remain humble and not mention it officially, due to how divided Doom's community can be. But that is awesome. They play our mods. They see what we like. Amazing. And you know, these are just guys like you and me; they want Doom to be DOOM, and they want to stay true to it and make it as fun as possible. Also [the modder who shall not be named here], they said Snapmap isn't the limit for doom, he couldn't tell me exactly, but he said that they want it to give people as much capability and ability for advanced users (mods, textures, models, sounds, maybe coding) for advanced people with more knowledge at some point. The game is aimed at release in the Spring, but he said (and emphasized) they want this polished and NOT rushed out the door, and want top quality.
Hellstorm Archon

Hellstorm Archon wrote:The author of Project Brutality not only managed to go to Quakecon, but he also got to converse with Marty Stratton himself:
They've played Project Brutality and I got a compliment from him actually, and yes he said Brutal Doom was the one thing that stood out because the amount of praise it has received, but he knows that some people "hate" brutal doom for whatever reason and wanted remain humble and not mention it officially, due to how divided Doom's community can be. But that is awesome. They play our mods. They see what we like. Amazing. And you know, these are just guys like you and me; they want Doom to be DOOM, and they want to stay true to it and make it as fun as possible. Also [the modder who shall not be named here], they said Snapmap isn't the limit for doom, he couldn't tell me exactly, but he said that they want it to give people as much capability and ability for advanced users (mods, textures, models, sounds, maybe coding) for advanced people with more knowledge at some point. The game is aimed at release in the Spring, but he said (and emphasized) they want this polished and NOT rushed out the door, and want top quality.
Ok, so there seems to be a disconnect between what Marty had said and what Pete had said, and I seriously doubt the former said what he said just to keep the hype train going with buzzwords.

Until everything seems to clear up, cue the 1/10s and 0/10s on Metacritic and the backlash being potentially worse than DmC: Devil May Cry.
Hellstorm Archon

Double post (sorry), but there seems to be an entire shitstorm coming solely from Snapmap and what it's capable of (case in point.) I know that reddit threads are not to be taken too seriously, as it's more of a mob mentality there, but this topic of Snapmap has been very controversial nevertheless. Pete Hines has address this matter, and it's a matter of time before we'll find out what Snapmap is truly capable of.

Return to “Off-Topic”