[WIP] Classic Arcade!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Athel

Re: [WIP] Classic Arcade!

Post by Athel »

There was a wad. I think it had Pong,,Doom Racer and Doom Hunt in one room, 3 separate arcade machines. I don't remember the name of it. But its quite similar to this.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

fellowzdoomer wrote:Oh god. THAT wad? Heh I like that wad but maybe its better that its in its own arcade.
It isn't part of Doom Center, I'm just using textures from it.
Caligari_87 wrote:What about those older ACS demos such as Pong and Breakout in Doom? Anyone remember those?

8-)
fellowzdoomer wrote:There was a wad. I think it had Pong,,Doom Racer and Doom Hunt in one room, 3 separate arcade machines. I don't remember the name of it. But its quite similar to this.
That would be ACS Arcade, by Isle
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

The Zombie Killer wrote:It really does, I need to figure out how to make pickups work with the "fake player" so that I can add more weapons than just the pistol.
you can with a_radiusgive, you need to include this into the shotgun actor, obviously the fake player need to be a monster, so with a_radiusgive make give the shotgun to any monster actor, but for make the difference, create a script were if the fakeplayer has the inventory this make the fakeplayer use the shotgun.
The Zombie Killer

I was thinking of doing that, but then how am I supposed to make the item disappear after the player picks it up?
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

The Zombie Killer wrote:I was thinking of doing that, but then how am I supposed to make the item disappear after the player picks it up?
try this:
Spoiler:
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Did you script this in a way that would make it easier to use the scripting to do things like controllable turrets in a level? Kind of like what happens on a lot of TimeSplitters levels. That would be the shit.
The Zombie Killer

Well, the code could certainly be used for that I guess. I have an old project called "Room Doom" where I remade my room in UDMF and added a controllable toy tank (usable by using a laptop sitting on the desk) although I never released it outside of the ZDoom Skype Group.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Apparently this got some attention over on reddit. I'm not sure why they called it a 'hack' though...
The Zombie Killer

Yeah, it's been covered on almost 30 gaming sites as well, my four YouTube videos of Classic Arcade have a ginormous amount of views now (ranging from 1,000 to 180,000+), when previously my max was around 400 views.
The Zombie Killer

Just implemented a use key, so now you can use doors and switches, etc.
Now I need to add item pickups and movement bobbing

EDIT: Showing off updates, with a little surprise at the end
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

Since nobody asked yet: how feasible would it be to have MAME running inside Doom?

Since that would positively blow my fucking mind.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

PooshhMao wrote:Since nobody asked yet: how feasible would it be to have MAME running inside Doom?

Since that would positively blow my fucking mind.
You would probably have better luck trying to port Doom to MAME than the other way around. I don't think any of ZDoom's scripting languages are powerful enough to emulate an entire arcade game down to the processor...and it'd probably wind up being slow as hell, to boot.
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

I'm not talking about porting MAME to ACS. That would be just plain silly.
But what about either spawning MAME as a background process and using a Doom texture to display the output?
Or maybe even integrating MAME's source into GzDoom's.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Doom has no form of external file access beyond saved games and WAD files. You'd need to make changes to source code, and at that rate, why would Doom even need to be involved?
PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

It probably would require a custom build of (G)zDoom, sure. But asking why Doom would need to be involved is like asking why they bother to make Doom run on calculators, tiny mp3 players and smartwatches.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”