The ideal "final level" music

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Ichor

Re: The ideal "final level" music

Post by Ichor »

adamaH_oriH

Post by adamaH_oriH »

TimeSplitters 2 - Scrapyard remix...

wait... that's one that can go with DooM altogether...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQMixunGnA[/youtube]
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

adamaH_oriH wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFQMixunGnA[/youtube]
Welcome to the forums! I notice you seem to be having some trouble with the Youtube tag; you might want to consult our Official ZDoom Forum Rules thread, where I've cleverly (*cough*) hidden a guide on how they work.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Here's two of my personal favorites:

Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

I believe both kind of tracks should be there: the sorrowful one for when the level starts, and the action packed one when the actual fight starts, then some solemn epic track for the ending with a "In the end, I prevailed... in solitude and silence, I reflect upon the recent events while looking at the horizon with a stern face expression, only to realize that the fight never ends. It's a part of me, and the curse I chose. It is my destiny. To catch the bad guy before he gets away way, to be the iron fist of justice in a world of madness and evil. I'm the lone hero. I'm a space marine" kind of vibe to it.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Last edited by EddieMann on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Looks like you're having trouble with Youtube embeds. Have a look in the forum rules for a guide.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

wildweasel wrote:Looks like you're having trouble with Youtube embeds. Have a look in the forum rules for a guide.
Thanks for the help, weasel.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Very good selections, I am impressed! I shall need 3 "final level" music, and according to the storyline, I decided with 3 different ones: an action-style fierce track, a very depressing, sorrowful "all is lost" music, and finally something which combines the both. It'd be a fast music track, but you won't find any sign of joy in it, not even with high-precision microscope! :) I believe this ought to do it.

Final level music was always an interesting topic. I could never really understood, why include a very sad, depressing track for the final level, but thanks to the Skype group, we could discuss this in-depth :)
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

For me, it's all about a buildup to a grand battle. Epic thematic music. Here's what I'm picking for my final level of my own megawad (a MIDI version though):

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Nightwish is very good :) I also admire many of their songs. Tristania is very similar as well, no wonder my project was/is about them!
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Just a reminder of awesomeness back in 2005
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Since (G)ZDoom has the ability to switch music during a level, for a final level, I could very easily envision using it as well. This is good, as you could utilize 2 or more songs for the level, not just one.
The level would begin with an "it's quiet...maybe TOO quiet!"-style music, and once the player stands face-to-face with the boss, and the big bad overlord blurted his cliché expressions about killing the protagonist, and ruling the world, mwhahahaha, then an action-packed music would kick in. This'd fit final levels, which have no other enemies than the big bad overlord, except maybe 2-4 weak goons.
Would any of you utilize this? Or having 1 music for 1 level is enough?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

If done right, it would work great. Valiant does it for the final map and even one of the other maps (Rocket Zone II's super secret area).
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Pretty much any of the Freelancer tracks will do, depending on the atmosphere. Well, maybe except for the bar ones.

From 51:29, or 59:10, or even 1:04:57 which is, in my opinion, one of the best. I'm pretty sure most old games' soundtracks will fit. It's all about what atmosphere you want to enforce. I've played Doom levels where the soundtrack itself has given me chills; combined with a proper map architecture, it can ensure an epic experience.

Return to “General”