What Got You Into ZDooM?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Athel

What Got You Into ZDooM?

Post by Athel »

A curious question. What got you into ZDooM? Was it a recommendation by a friend/family member/pet? Or was it an awesome looking wad that got you so psyched that you downloaded it?

For me, it was when I was randomly browsing doom videos back in '08, when. I saw a video titled Doom Infight mod. Admittedly, I tried to run the wad under vanilla doom until it crashed. So I looked closely and saw the program used to play the mod. Incidentally, its how I bumped into Skulltag and the like. ZDoom was my first source port (not counting Doom95).

Ok, your turn. What got you into ZDooM? Also what was your first wad played in ZDoom?
SamVision

Re: What Got You Into ZDooM?

Post by SamVision »

I discovered source ports via Doom Legacy, and worked my way through several of them until I found ZDoom to be the most stable and reliable.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The fact that it could also run Heretic and Hexen. Then stayed for the powerful console, advanced mods with a lot of features, and the fact I never managed to get the mouse feel "comfortable" in other ports I tried, they either turn too slowly or too fast, or too slowly and too fast at the same time.
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

I wondered if Doom bots existed and I found this.
Then I found Doom legacy which had better bots. =P

Then I got ZDoom again, for its mods.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

The (now deprecated) Console Doom wad.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

i couldnt run doom, and dosbox seemed too complicated to me, so looking for solutions i found skulltag

later i got curioys about skulltag, since i dint know about sourceports and found out it was no longer being developed, when i realized it was based on zdoom i decided to give that a try
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I seem to recall I discovered ZDoom for the first time when I found version 1.22 on FilePlanet in late 2000. Damn, that blew my mind. It looked fantastic, and one of the first actually ZDoom-specific mods I ever played was tqtrust.wad.

There was a long time where EDGE was my port of choice, owing to how easy it was to figure out the DDF language. Soon, though, ZDoom came back to prominence for me as Decorate weapons became a thing, and I have basically never looked back since.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

The original ZDoom Demo Wad, way back before DECORATE was so much as a twinkle in the milkman's eye.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

I don't remember exactly what I was doing, but I believe it was sometime around 2002-2003, and I had come across it via some means (I think it was DoomWadStation) and decided to give it a try. I had gotten the DOS version for whatever reason, but I remember being really impressed with having freelook in Doom, amongst other things. I eventually got ahold of the now famous 1.22 and have been using ZDoom regularly ever since.
XCVG

Post by XCVG »

I decided to get back into Doom a few years ago after some fond memories of playing all sorts of WADs in Doom Legacy resurfaced. Legacy refused to run under Windows 7, so I looked around for a new port and went for the most feature-rich one, which was ZDoom. I liked it a lot but disliked the software renderer- I was used to Legacy's OpenGL one. Then I discovered GZDoom and I was happy. Then I realized there was a whole glut of ZDoom-exclusive mods and I could do a lot of things I wished I could do back in the day but couldn't, and now I'm hooked.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Sometime after I finally bought Doom Collector's Edition (for Final Doom, this was before Steam was a thing) I was looking for more stuff I could use with Doom and I was getting sick of using Doom95. What a pain in the ass it became. I looked up Doom source ports and ZDoom was the first one that caught my eye. It was simple, easy to use, small, portable, and whatever else. Quickly realized Doom95 was a turd and ZDoom is where it's at. Then after a while I discovered GZDoom for using OpenGL rendering. At this point it was certain: I'd never need a better port to enjoy Doom.

Eventually I tried Doomsday and it's nice and all but it's overly complex for what I need. It also has issues with my video drivers. I use Chocolate Doom from time to time to go back and experience good ol' DOS Doom. Just recently I got all my Wolfenstein files back and tried out ECWolf. Good stuff.
Athel

Post by Athel »

I remember one of the first wads I played was Runaway Train. It amazed me how cameras were in Doom, as well as other goodies such as deep water, colored lighting and other things.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

wildweasel's [wiki=The_Stranger]The Stranger[/wiki] is one of the earliest ZDoom mods I remember playing. My brother had shown me a video of the mod so I decided to look it up. At that point, I didn't realize that Doom was still going strong and tons of content was being made for it. I didn't register an account here until almost a year later.
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

[wiki]CsDoom[/wiki]
TIL there was a newer csDoom.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Skulltag multiplayer skype group call hilarity.

Return to “Off-Topic”