Is doomworld down?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
4thcharacter

Is doomworld down?

Post by 4thcharacter »

I checked the website's status on isitdownrightnow.com and according to them the website is fun and running, but when I try to visit it I get a connection timed-out. And if I ping it on CMD it seems fine as it should be. Am I the only one who's seeing Doomworld as down?
TheMightyHeracross

Re: Is doomworld down?

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Works for me.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Doomworld is still up and running.
However, for how much longer is anybody's guess.

See http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-genera ... ting-down/
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

It's fine for me now, my ISP is being silly again.

EDIT: Regarding Doomworld's inevitable shutdown, that made my heart sink. Lots of interesting things regarding Doom/Hexen/Heretic etc. can be found in there. I don't have an account but that that's pretty much everything. Also, the idgames archive, since it's connected to Doomworld, I hope they have a workaround or plans for that since you can find plenty of wads and mods in there.

I feel like I have a curse, every places or sites I go into either shuts down or turns into a pile of crap. I joined reddit at the start of this year, and it turned crap thanks to internet drama, SJWs who care about their non-existent internet points and censorship. I started to lurk on Doomworld not too long ago to look for interesting stuff and discussions, only to find that it may shut down months later. Months later after joining TV.com, the blogging feature and "emblems" (their equivalent of medals or forum achievements) section on everyone's profile page is removed.

And so on, and so on. Hope this forum doesn't get problems just like Doomworld.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

4thcharacter wrote:EDIT: Regarding Doomworld's inevitable shutdown, that made my heart sink. Lots of interesting things regarding Doom/Hexen/Heretic etc. can be found in there. I don't have an account but that that's pretty much everything. Also, the idgames archive, since it's connected to Doomworld, I hope they have a workaround or plans for that since you can find plenty of wads and mods in there.
Uhm... They are going to move the website to another server, as stated in the OP. Did you read the thread at all, or just the title? Because it seems like you just read the title. :P
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

thank god Doomworld had backup plans going, however there is a far, FAR bigger site atomicgamer hosts files for where something will definitely be lost in the process.
Spoiler:
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

leileilol wrote:thank god Doomworld had backup plans going, however there is a far, FAR bigger site atomicgamer hosts files for where something will definitely be lost in the process.
Spoiler:
I'm surprised nobody's done an ArchiveTeam kind of thing on the stuff that needs archiving (NaliCity etc.) and stuffed it all in a big old Bittorrent. Although I suppose dumping tens of thousands of maps into UT99 would cause the engine to have a coronary any time you tried to start a practice session...
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

edward850 wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:EDIT: Regarding Doomworld's inevitable shutdown, that made my heart sink. Lots of interesting things regarding Doom/Hexen/Heretic etc. can be found in there. I don't have an account but that that's pretty much everything. Also, the idgames archive, since it's connected to Doomworld, I hope they have a workaround or plans for that since you can find plenty of wads and mods in there.
Uhm... They are going to move the website to another server, as stated in the OP. Did you read the thread at all, or just the title? Because it seems like you just read the title. :P
You are kinda right, since I only read the first question and answer and just skipped to read the comments below. I actually thought that idgames holds stuff that is around 50 GB and higher but in reality it's just 35. It would be slightly worrisome if the former is the case. And it's a heaven for those who have their favorite wads and mods there.
leileilol wrote:
Spoiler:
And I was planning to buy Unreal months later.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

4thcharacter wrote:I actually thought that idgames holds stuff that is around 50 GB and higher but in reality it's just 35. It would be slightly worrisome if the former is the case. And it's a heaven for those who have their favorite wads and mods there.
/idgames has nothing to do with doomworld. It's an FTP on a completely different service maintained by completely different people. It's the equivalent of saying that Google runs the websites its search engine lists. :P
IMX

Post by IMX »

leileilol wrote:thank god Doomworld had backup plans going, however there is a far, FAR bigger site atomicgamer hosts files for where something will definitely be lost in the process.
Spoiler:
Damn you UT3, damn you all the way to hell!!!
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

edward850 wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:I actually thought that idgames holds stuff that is around 50 GB and higher but in reality it's just 35. It would be slightly worrisome if the former is the case. And it's a heaven for those who have their favorite wads and mods there.
/idgames has nothing to do with doomworld. It's an FTP on a completely different service maintained by completely different people. It's the equivalent of saying that Google runs the websites its search engine lists. :P

That's good. Well since there's a back up plan anyway so that saves the helpful forums and the files from doomworld are maintained by different people then there's nothing to worry at all. Just hope they still have the past messages from the forums since there's a bunch of neat and helpful stuff there.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

4thcharacter wrote:Just hope they still have the past messages from the forums since there's a bunch of neat and helpful stuff there.
You still haven't read that Doomworld thread, have you? Everything is safe and will be carried over, except for 3DDownloads links (which have been preserved on Archive.org).
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Kinsie wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:Just hope they still have the past messages from the forums since there's a bunch of neat and helpful stuff there.
You still haven't read that Doomworld thread, have you? Everything is safe and will be carried over, except for 3DDownloads links (which have been preserved on Archive.org).
Oh yeah.... Well, that was kinda embarrassing.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Fortunately Beyondunreal seems to be fine and well managed with its backups already so that's good.

What I really worry about are telefragged/3ddownloads-era files on the atomicgamer files section.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Now it's down and apparently full of malware. That can't be good.

Return to “Off-Topic”