[Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Software projects like source ports (3DGE, Eternity, etc), launchers like ZDL, and other useful utilities belong in this forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby ibm5155 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:43 pm

Ok I did a try to compile it, and I ended up in some points
-It's missing glew-1.10.0 (not included from tutorial since it's a zdoom tutorial not gzdoom)
about the glew library, is that one? "lib/Release/Win32/glew32.lib" because there's the release and release mx folder, also, include glew32.lib or glew32s.lib?
ok next step was that I'm missing the libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll file for running GLOOME.exe...
but it compiled over Visual Studio 2013 :D (just some wrong paths on cmake for openal, sndfile and mpg123 but it was easy fixed)

edit: Found a generic dll over the internet and it's now working :D
Sugestion: Autoload lights.pk3 since it'll not be more vanilla doom look...

and for people who want to play it with nice midi here're two sugestions:
-Coolsoft Virtual Midi Synth: it's a virtual synthetizer that loads .sf2 file, it's like timidity, but it works for everywhere (windows media player,...)
-YMF262 SYNTH EMULATOR, it's a virtual opl3 synthetizer (actually better than the one inside zdoom [even boths comming from mame, but idk whats going there, maybe zdoom is using some outdated code]) but I would recomend if someone want to use opl3 on their new games, record it to mp3 and it'll be fine :)
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Marrub » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:08 pm

JPL wrote:This is really cool to see and I'm glad it exists, thanks for the shoutout in the readme! One hope is that this clarifies the remaining work required to remove or make optional (via #ifdef or whatever makes sense) the code in mainline [G]ZDoom that keeps it from being incompatible with commercial and more liberal license use cases.

Thank you.

JPL wrote:It seems like there's two possible futures for this project:

It seems to be going both ways at once. I've been adding requested features that I think would be useful, and also some more major changes like moving the cheats (i.e. idkfa) to KEYCONF (for the purpose of redefining them).
User avatar
Marrub
Secreta In Exile
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Discord: Marrub#5455

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby ibm5155 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:46 pm

if people are going to make games with it, it would be nice to be able to disable cheats, I don't remember the last game that I played that had cheat support (hm quake2?)

I just think the only thing required is a good clean up over options menu, there're too many vanila settings that people never touched it, and may feel confused (like opening blender for the first time or visual studio) or maybe, a way to let the modder choice what configurations will be visible to the end use...
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:14 pm

Agreed w/ibm's last paragraph, but I strongly recommend making sure noclip, give/take, warp and god are always available because

a) Sometimes as players we just want to read the story and see what happens without spending hours learning how to push a sequence of buttons at exactly the right time (sometimes not even an option due to carpal tunnel, work/family/school commitments, etc.)

b) Sometimes people just release glitchy shit and people get stuck
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
 
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Marrub » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:27 pm

ibm5155 wrote:if people are going to make games with it, it would be nice to be able to disable cheats, I don't remember the last game that I played that had cheat support (hm quake2?)

Working on that right now, actually.

5515mbi wrote:I just think the only thing required is a good clean up over options menu, there're too many vanila settings that people never touched it, and may feel confused (like opening blender for the first time or visual studio) or maybe, a way to let the modder choice what configurations will be visible to the end use...

This can already be done with MENUDEFS.
User avatar
Marrub
Secreta In Exile
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Discord: Marrub#5455

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby ibm5155 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:32 am

Ok, everything on my game is working with Gloome, but, there's only one thing that's making me sad, My game had a heretic loading screen modified, it would work fine as a mod, but I never could make it work on a "Doom 2 IWAD" well, I think I'll just drop it :( .
At least Gloome already detect the two iwads, the portuguese and the english version ( and also load the big file that shares the rest of the game data with both iwads).

I hope I can re-release it today if you guys let me :)

Also, is there some specific page for each Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow projects?

EDIT: Also thanks for the great port, ehm, it would be nice to share some binary with people, so they could test it (I already did one windows build, but it came with a file that I think it shouldn't be required...)


AH, before I miss, my game/mod was using gzdoom before, it has a folder called LICENSE, and inside of it there're alot of .txt files talking about bsp, freedoom, doom engine, zlip?,... Do I need to keep that files with Gloome? (they're the same files inside of licenses.zip from zdoom)
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Zeberpal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:05 am

I'M JUST A GUY WHO LIKES TO MAP, KNOWS BASIC ACS AND THAT'S ABOUT IT.
Please keep that in mind, because I have two noob questions that bothers me:

1) Is it still in progress?
2) Do I need some additional knowledge to combine/compile this whole thing together to release it as my own indie game(with own maps,decorate, etc)?
User avatar
Zeberpal
 
Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Location: RU

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby ibm5155 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:46 am

You're not noob, and a badass mapper...


2)The situation now is that they only released the source, if you want I can sent my windows compiled build. (it's just like gzdoom 1.8.3 but without some copyrighted stuff)

You just need to edit the iwadinfo inside of engine.pk3 for let Gloome know what maps it needs to check to know it's your IWAD. Also you could load extra .wad files if your wad was detected (like I did on cursed maze, there're two iwads, both only have maps, voices and texts, but they share the CM.wad where all the sprites, decorate and the rest of the game is)
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Zeberpal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:09 pm

ibm, I would highly appreciate that!! I wonder if I can put a puppet IWAD without textures/sprites/sounds etc, and put all this stuff in pk3 folders as usual.
User avatar
Zeberpal
 
Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Location: RU

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Marrub » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:01 am

Zeberpal wrote:1) Is it still in progress?

Yeah.
Zeberpal wrote:2) Do I need some additional knowledge to combine/compile this whole thing together to release it as my own indie game(with own maps,decorate, etc)?

Builds will be uploaded some time soon-ish. I will also be writing up a tutorial for making games with it, probably along with some tools to assist in this.
ibm5155 wrote:Also, is there some specific page for each Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow projects?

No, wildweasel asked us to keep GLOOME projects in this thread.
ibm5155 wrote:AH, before I miss, my game/mod was using gzdoom before, it has a folder called LICENSE, and inside of it there're alot of .txt files talking about bsp, freedoom, doom engine, zlip?,... Do I need to keep that files with Gloome? (they're the same files inside of licenses.zip from zdoom)

The builds I will upload will have a licenses.zip just as ZDoom along with the source code, as it is required by some licenses.
User avatar
Marrub
Secreta In Exile
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Discord: Marrub#5455

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby TerminusEst13 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:36 am

As requested by a few people, I've set up a public Github/Copy folder for Nocturne, that people can peruse through and poke at whatever they'd like:

https://github.com/TerminusEst13/NocturneInYellow
https://copy.com/l8kOw6GUJwu30lFv

Image

Maps still haven't been started and enemy/weapon graphics are still in placeholder status, but we're picking and stabbing at replacing things bit by bit.
User avatar
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.
 
Joined: 09 Nov 2009

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby ibm5155 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:51 am

Marrub wrote:Builds will be uploaded some time soon-ish. I will also be writing up a tutorial for making games with it, probably along with some tools to assist in this.

I hope it's not too late to ask :oops: , but can I already use the build that I made from it for my game?
Marrub wrote:
ibm5155 wrote:Also, is there some specific page for each Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow projects?

No, wildweasel asked us to keep GLOOME projects in this thread.

I don't see a need for that since the projects would run over zdoom/gzdoom just fine ( It's like this forum could only post zdoom only projects and not gzdoom only projects, if the project works in both engines I don't see a need for it but, I'll not enter in details over this case).
And just in case, I'll need to post my GLOOME projects only on this thread or can I make other threads? (Like I already had the cursed maze thread, but it was using gzdoom before)
User avatar
ibm5155
Just Spooky
 
Joined: 20 Jul 2011

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Marrub » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:17 am

ibm5155 wrote:
Marrub wrote:Builds will be uploaded some time soon-ish. I will also be writing up a tutorial for making games with it, probably along with some tools to assist in this.

I hope it's not too late to ask :oops: , but can I already use the build that I made from it for my game?

Yeah, sure. And I'm not just saying that because I'm legally obligated to. :)
ibm5155 wrote:I don't see a need for that since the projects would run over zdoom/gzdoom just fine ( It's like this forum could only post zdoom only projects and not gzdoom only projects, if the project works in both engines I don't see a need for it but, I'll not enter in details over this case).

They won't, though. GLOOME already has features that are not in mainline (G)ZDoom.

ibm5155 wrote:And just in case, I'll need to post my GLOOME projects only on this thread or can I make other threads? (Like I already had the cursed maze thread, but it was using gzdoom before)

I'm not sure, you'd have to ask weasel.
User avatar
Marrub
Secreta In Exile
 
Joined: 26 Feb 2013
Discord: Marrub#5455

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby wildweasel » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:50 am

I don't remember saying anything about projects being limited to this thread. Just tag it in the title.
User avatar
wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: avatar by kurashiki

Re: [Engine] GLOOME / [WIP] Project 67 & Nocturne in Yellow

Postby Mikk- » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:12 am

Just curious, what features does this currently have that (g)zdoom do not?
User avatar
Mikk-
blub blub blub
 
Joined: 30 Jun 2009
Location: Space station base of the UAC
Discord: Mikk0451#3922

PreviousNext

Return to Software and Ports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MrDowntempo and 2 guests