Black Magnetic (now with dynamic lights!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Angry Saint

Black Magnetic (now with dynamic lights!)

Post by Angry Saint »

Black Magnetic is my level built for the Doomja-Vu contest on the Realm 667 forum.

I tested this level with GZDooM version 1.8.2. I don't know if it works with other versions or with ZDooM.

You may find the gameplay different from the typical Doom one. Monsters are mainly hitscanner with high health so you will have to get cover very often.

Even if the contest is over (and this level scored 4th), I still consider it as WIP, so any comment is welcome!

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rny1z ... ckmv13.rar

New Screenshots of the dynamic lights:
Spoiler:
Old Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Angry Saint on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [WIP] Black Magnetic (now with download link!)

Post by Ozymandias81 »

That was really awesome to test for DoomJa-Vu, I was pleased of the overall quake2-ish design. I bet that if you add some nice lights here and there, a new skybox and a fitting music you'll get a piece of art with it.
Angry Saint

Post by Angry Saint »

I agree regarding skybox&music.

I'm not sure about lights... if you mean dynamic lights. I think they are something that you use consistently in all the level or don't use. I see no point in using them only in some places.
Angry Saint

Post by Angry Saint »

Some experiments with new skyboxes:

Image Image

The first one has the clouds moving.

Which one looks best?
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I think you can use both. Also some rain would fit well IMHO. :-D
Average

Post by Average »

I really like the first one. I'm a sucker for animated skies in Doom (or in this case, Wolfenstein...) as it's not often done. :)
Angry Saint

Re: [WIP] Black Magnetic (now with dynamic lights!)

Post by Angry Saint »

I have added dynamic lights in the level. You can see the new screenshots and download the updated version in the first post.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

im reaally digging on this.

i have a question.
how did you make the skies clouds move?
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

You create a skybox sector off in the void of your map. The shape itself doesnt matter, but you'll need to make the Impassible boundaries of the sector have a Line Horizon special. Now, next you choose your sky texture, note that if you use F_SKY1 it will only display the default sky texture and not your custom one. Once your sky texture is chosen, you can use a dummy sector to make the ceiling scroll at an angle, or use ACS to do it instead. Pick your poison! Lastly, place a Skybox Camera thing within your sky sector and BAM! Your skybox will be used for each and every sector that uses the F_SKY1 flat for its ceiling. This can only be done in Hexen-formatted configurations, or UDMF. You can also layer skies using 3D Thin translucent floors as well!
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

posted my review, this was a pretty fun adventure. dig the little microcosm you've dreamed up.
Angry Saint

Post by Angry Saint »

kmxexii wrote:posted my review, this was a pretty fun adventure. dig the little microcosm you've dreamed up.
Thank you so much for your review, I really liked it! It put in the correct light the relevant issues of the map, like the use of 3d floors and the hitscanner enemies.

Return to “Levels”