"Display driver stopped working and has recovered"

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Viscra Maelstrom

"Display driver stopped working and has recovered"

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i've been having this issue for about a week or so now. randomly, when i'm using the computer (not even to play games, but it's been happening when using the internet or not using the computer at all), that the screen goes black, then comes back, saying that the display driver stopped working and has successfully recovered. no BSOD or anything, but it's making me deter slightly from playing games on it.

how come? is the problem a faulty driver, something wrong with my hardware? i'm using a Geforce GTX 750 Ti and this started happening some weeks ago i believe.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: "Display driver stopped working and has recovered"

Post by wildweasel »

I'd try updating the driver first, and also check the GPU temperature when that happens.
Viscra Maelstrom

the GPU temps appear to be normal and i am using the latest driver.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I had this EXACT thing happen to me a few months ago. I was just sitting on my desktop browsing through discussions in the Steam client when suddenly I went to some guy's profile page and it just went black. Came back and said exactly what you say here. It only happened that one time, hasn't happened since, and it doesn't happen in games. There have been a couple times in the past where my screen went grey and didn't come back. Once again, it only happens on the desktop. Lastly, there was one time where I opened a PDF file and then the screen went black for literally one second, and came back like nothing happened. No message and no errors in Event Viewer.

I blame Windows. :blergh:
Hellser
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

Try uninstalling your GeForce drivers then reinstalling. I've had this issue before and pin-pointing the cause is hard. It can range from dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager.. for Windows) to Google Chrome. The way I found to fix it was to reinstall the drivers. If you wish to do this; install a driver as usual but select the "Clean Install" option, or "Uninstall previous version" - forgot the exact wording. But it'll look squeaky clean to click on.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

When that is happening, it is the actual display driver crashing. This can indicate bad settings on your GPU, or bad overclocking set for it.

The other thing that can cause this is a program in the background using your gpu in an improper manner.

Does this happen in safe mode?

Temperatures can play a part, but usually when it happens, it's from the clock speeds of the GPU not being set right.

I recommend at least checking your GPU settings/clock speeds with a utility like GPU-Z and make sure nothing is set funky.

If something does appear out of the ordinary, you could use something like MSI Afterburner and reset the clock speeds to stock on your GPU. This is usually what fixed it for me. If it's not that, then it's something in the background trying to use your GPU in a way that it doesn't like. Drivers don't crash like that by themselves.

Another thing to point out is that when I would have these kinds of problems it was ALWAYS from bit mining with my gpu. Perhaps you need to check for malware? Could be possible something is running that you're unaware of.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, this is something I've had a lot of experience with. ;)
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I've had this kinda issue aswell, though admittedly while developing my own video game :P
The culprit in my case was a memory leak (i guess vram filled up, no easy way to check usage in Java..), which went away as I fixed my code.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I get this a lot when I'm using slade. Doesn't happen any other time.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

i can never pinpoint when this happens for me, but I can often trigger it by running Minecraft and Second Life at the same time.
MethaneCaves

Post by MethaneCaves »

I think that this started happening after one automatic Windows Update (which came May 13th) that flushed some settings. Re-installing video driver kind of helped, but that's a puzzle. Windows has its built-in accelerated video driver or something, uninstalling the external driver activates that one, but display errors persist. Installing new one while that one is active and the error is still happening, causes a BSOD. So new driver should be installed after check that display acceleration is not running.

Also, a thing sometimes happens in the registry when WIP versions of DirectX applications are running: they accumulate somewhere. There is some branch of registry where new settings are created with each new version of the application, and nothing cleans them up; eventually their number becomes so big that creating new user seems to be the only way to solve.
Viscra Maelstrom

okay, so i thought i had the solution to the problem, but the display driver crashed twice after it happened. but when it happened the second time, i noticed something: foobar seems to be the culprit. everytime this happened, foobar had to be shut down, and the process being terminated in the task manager before i could use it again. something about an OpenGL kind of failure for it? anyone know something about this?
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:okay, so i thought i had the solution to the problem, but the display driver crashed twice after it happened. but when it happened the second time, i noticed something: foobar seems to be the culprit. everytime this happened, foobar had to be shut down, and the process being terminated in the task manager before i could use it again. something about an OpenGL kind of failure for it? anyone know something about this?
Same thing happens to me but with slade.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I've had this happen before, ati drivers updated and all, and i did have foobar opened while it happened, so that seems to point somewhere, if it doesn't happen anymore it's because it's indeed foobar, since i haven't installed it yet.

And i guess i'll have to look for another program to play music :p
Viscra Maelstrom

yeah, it's definitely foobar that seems to be the culprit with this kind of problem i've been having. WHY i am having this problem i don't know, though. i suspected the harddrive was bad, but i checked its health and apparently it's not about to die soon. it's an external drive, though, maybe that makes foobar freak out? but if so, why's it only happening recently and not earlier?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I reproduced it by making a certain simple model in Blender and rotating the viewport around. Sent it to them since, no fix

Return to “Off-Topic”