Leaving home for a month

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Nash

Leaving home for a month

Post by Nash »

Will my computers be alright being off for a whole month? Got any advice for me? It would totally suuuuuuuck to come home to computers that won't work anymore, considering I had to unwillingly spend money on a graphics card that died a while ago...
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Leaving home for a month

Post by leileilol »

Depends on if a disaster happened while you are away (like for example, an earthquake unseating everything inside the computer), might at least unplug the thing to avoid the weather-related power surges.

other than that, a month of inactivity won't kill it. There will be more dust to clean on it anyway, maybe a web or two, but nothing fatal. You might want to make sure the case is covered anyway to reduce potential pest damage.

I've had experience in leaving (*old* 1985-2005 junkers) computers off for years at a time and having them work again on the first boot :)
Blox

Post by Blox »

You can unplug it and wrap it up in some plastic bag to make it dust- and bug-proof, but other than that there is absolutely nothing dangerous about leaving your PC idle for a month.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Make sure you unplug it. Sometimes (albeit very rarely) it happened that the computer refused to work after a Summer break, and I had to reinstall the whole thing, but otherwise, it'll be fine.
Nash

Post by Nash »

So unplug and cover from dust, got it, thanks!
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Don't forget to leave a trail of breadcrumbs so you can find your way back to your computers.

Return to “Off-Topic”