[ECWolf] ECWolf Classics: Second Encounter

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[ECWolf] ECWolf Classics: Second Encounter

Post by Woolie Wool »

Download (455 KB)

High-quality 3DO music from Macenstein Third Encounter (7.1 MB)
Requires a recent development build of ECWolf due to some of the new objects inheriting from Mac actor classes.

Updated 5/29/15
* Unused files removed
* Added Mac episode graphics
* Added boulder wall w/ blood
* Locked doors are now marked like in Mac Wolfenstein
* Flamethrower/RL bugs fixed

This is a port of Wolfenstein 3D: Second Encounter, the unique level set common to all of the "Mac Family" versions of Wolfenstein (SNES, Mac, Jaguar, 3DO, Apple IIGS). This port was based on a much rougher version done by Sam Feichter (AstroCreep), I rebuilt it almost from the ground up to create a more complete and polished experience. The presentation here is basically a hybrid of the Mac and PC versions--the levels and music are Mac, as are the new weapons, items, and bosses, but the graphics are from the PC (with some bits and pieces sourced from Coffee Break), the music is in IMF format, and the ceiling colors are set per level instead of uniform like on the Mac. While the levels are straight from Macenstein Second Encounter, this is NOT a Macenstein conversion--there would be no point as ECWolf will soon support the real Macintosh version of Wolfenstein.

What you get
* All 30 levels from Wolfenstein 3D: Second Encounter plus duplicates of the first three as a First Encounter episode
* The rocket launcher, flamethrower, and backpack from Mac Wolfenstein with 64x64 PC-style sprites
* The Ubermutant and Death Knight return from Spear of Destiny
* Ceiling colors! Mac Wolfenstein can't do this!
* PC graphics, so no crab-walking guards
* A WDC definition for Macenstein that probably works

What you don't get
* This isn't Macenstein, you don't get the Mac graphics, the Mac sounds, or the revised damage formulas and enemy behavior
* Third Encounter, because it's split into episodes and is a really terrible conversion of PC Wolfenstein

This port also comes with a WDC definition file for Macenstein Second Encounter. It is not tested--use at your own risk!
Last edited by Woolie Wool on Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
AstroCreep

Re: [ECWolf] ECWolf Classics: Second Encounter

Post by AstroCreep »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

EDIT - Lol, I see you kept the ham.

EDIT 2 - There seems to be an issue with the flamer. It's not flaming lol. You have the weapon shooting FlamerShot when it should be FlameShot
Last edited by AstroCreep on Thu May 28, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

BTW I commented my xlat stuff, so this should be useful for you if you want to learn best practices when doing ports like this.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Aight, sweet. It'll def come in handy for later. Def appreciate it.
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

This is really nice. I like the dog standing pose. =D

Some points I would like to make:
- The mac version is based on the 3DO version, which is based on the Jaguar version, which is based on the SNES version. All these could be used as a reference.
- IMHO it's not necessary to include the First Encounter, since it's just the shareware executable of the Mac version (the Second Encounter is called Original Encounter in the 3DO).
- I noticed the gray rocks texture is missing the bloody variant, but instead of making one I would recommend using the magenta rocks since it was used in the SNES version before the 128 x 128 graphics were added.
- The Death Knight drops a gold key in the SNES and Jaguar versions. Maybe you should keep that since you are not including the Third Encounter.

Here is some misc Wolfenstein 3D stuff I did a while ago that you may be interested in:

Rips
Spoiler:
Spritework
Spoiler:
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

The mouse cursor seems to be stuck/bound by the game window in both windowed mode and fullscreen, so I can only turn a few degrees before it gets stuck. Also, weird graphical glitch after I changed from windowed to fullscreen:

Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Kinsie had that problem too. Try rolling back your version to ecwolf-150509-2250.7z.

The pk3 has just been updated with some of Fox666's stuff and some key-marked locked doors. Fox666, would you be able to rip from Macintosh mods? If so I might have a job for you...:D
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

This re-upload still has the decorate error. All that needs to be done to correct it is to go to flamer.txt and change FlamerShot to FlameShot
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

Should be fixed now.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Well the music pack you released seems to alleviate half of the headache inducing high pitched sounds of the Mac version as well lol. Now I should be able to play the regular Mac version in the dev version without getting a migraine lol. Now all thats left to do is to do something about those horrible sample rates on the sound bytes lol
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

Woolie Wool wrote:Fox666, would you be able to rip from Macintosh mods? If so I might have a job for you...:D
Probably. What do you need specifically?
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

I have a number of Laz Rojas' mods I'd like to extract the resources from.
AstroCreep

Post by AstroCreep »

Laz used to have most of those resources up for download but so far all I've found is dead links.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Childhood Gifty is weeping with joy. I got Macenstein on floppy disk many years ago and I've only had fleeting opportunities to play it since I'm not a Mac user.
Fox666

Post by Fox666 »

Woolie Wool wrote:I have a number of Laz Rojas' mods I'd like to extract the resources from.
Okay. Where do you want I to start from?

Return to “Levels”