Troubles with recoloring images

Archive of the old editing forum
Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. This forum is archived - please use this set of forums to ask new questions.
Sandro

Troubles with recoloring images

Post by Sandro »

I was trying to recolor the sfx torches found in Hard Doom to increase the color possibilities, but I'm falling into an issue (probably transparency ?).
Spoiler:
The blue image was exported from Hard Doom.
The green one in the middle is a basic recoloring of the blue image (with hue variation).
I tried to add transparency in the third image to see the difference (but there is not, it applies the same with the blue image).
So it seems at a first glance that image 1 & 2 are of the same nature.
However, when I import both images in Slade3, the blank around the torch doesn't disappear on the green image, while the blue one does.

I expect this to be a novice mistake, but I would be grateful if someone could provide a solution. :)
Raziel236

Re: Troubles with recoloring images

Post by Raziel236 »

So the blue image has no background, but the green one does? I dunno how an imported image has no background, unless transparency is somehow saved in that image. To get rid of a background in slade you need to right click - graphic - convert to.. - and pick in this case white as the transparent colour down at the bottom.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Well, this doesn't work. With both Slade or Photofiltre, transparency will change it as seen as the third image. :?
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Don't understand the issue?
It always looks like the 3rd image, just the white background makes the edges look smoother.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

I mean, this is not what I want. :?
kodi

Post by kodi »

Did you make sure to export as .png from slade and save as .png in your image editing program? Assuming the sprites are trucolor alpha png's that should work.
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Transparency got lost, didn't think slade could do transparency in-program.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

kodi wrote:Did you make sure to export as .png from slade and save as .png in your image editing program? Assuming the sprites are trucolor alpha png's that should work.
Yes, I checked this.
Raziel236 wrote:Transparency got lost, didn't think slade could do transparency in-program.
Well, I could colourise the images in Slade, but the result is kinda vapid. Hue variation is much better... Is there a way to save transparency for this kind of editing ?
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Not sure, I know whole sprites can be transparent using renderstyles, and have seen lights with aura effects, but dunno how.

Return to “Editing (Archive)”