What's the deal with "gamers" these days?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Shadelight

Re: What's the deal with "gamers" these days?

Post by Shadelight »

I think wildweasel told you to drop that subject and yet here you are trying to bring it up again very subtly.
Big C

Post by Big C »

BlazingPhoenix wrote:I think wildweasel told you to drop that subject and yet here you are trying to bring it up again very subtly.
He's done that more than once lately, as seen in the Wishlist thread.

On that note, while I appreciate what you and WildWeasel do to keep the peace around here, a a number of people on Zdoom.org just seem to lack tact or an ability to learn from their mistakes/reprimands and no amount of warnings or punishments seems to make them less foolish or mood-swingy.

Even if the problem people tend to either burn themselves out or get themselves banned, they make the forums really unpleasant to read in the meantime.

Sorry for kvetching, but I really, really, REALLY get tired of watching flame wars erupt over petty things and people repeatedly not knowing when to stop acting gross/antisocial/whatever, and I don't know what else to do besides ignore it (which gets hard when it eventually shows up even in my usual 'turf' on a forum) or complain about it (which I am doing here).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Big C wrote:Even if the problem people tend to either burn themselves out or get themselves banned, they make the forums really unpleasant to read in the meantime.
I wonder how many other users feel this way, out of curiosity?
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

wildweasel wrote:
Big C wrote:Even if the problem people tend to either burn themselves out or get themselves banned, they make the forums really unpleasant to read in the meantime.
I'm just gonna come right out and confirm what Big C said. I generally prefer the Zdoom forums over other Doom forums because it's more civil, hence why I mostly post here when I do post. However, as of late I just can't help but shake my head with the level of hostility coming from from certain users and their posts. :|

So yeah, I feel this way.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Slydir also told me on Steam that he stays the Hell away from Off-Topic because of threads like, say, the Pacific Trade Partnership thread a few rows down---it started off bad and somehow RV-007 made it infinitely worse. At least he won't be making anything ELSE worse now.

It used to be just the Brutal Doom brigade squatting in Projects threads, and those guys were a clear and present problem that seems to have mostly been tamped down. In the past few weeks, though, I've seen two long-esteemed Doom community members (Tormentor and Esselfortium) get into a very public fight, seen Graf Zahl get sarcastic with people in another thread about something I now forget (I do remember it was rude enough that Weasel had to politely steer Graf into keeping on track, but nothing banworthy), MJ79 trying to bring up Gamergate in this thread TWICE and acting gross-ish towards either Viscra or her online persona (it's not clear which), and a bit of a brief spat between Vaecrius and Crudux Cruo in the Hideous Destructor thread (although this one thankfully didn't last too long and seems to have MOSTLY resolved itself).
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

wildweasel wrote:
I also feel this way. Noticed it myself.
kodi

Post by kodi »

I think these forums are pretty good, relatively speaking. The few posts/posters that are out of line are dealt with, but not the extent of excessive over-moderation. In some forums threads are locked as soon as there's a slight difference in opinion or there are more than two or so off-topic posts, like a harmless joke and a response to it. I think that's even worse than total anarchy.

Only difference between the gamers of today and the gamers of yesterday is that they're more diverse and there's more of them.
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I agree with Kodi.I 'll also add that I have been very well treated here,and that for the most part,it is a relaxed place.Hope everyone has a good weekend!
I also don't care too much about graphics. If the game is good,it works for me.
Last edited by grouchbag on Sun May 24, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

what kodi said
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

And then wildweasel closes this thread for being off topic.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Going back to the topic at hand, am I the only one who finds it ironic when console gamers put all their stock on graphics? I mean, really, if you're willing to pay premium for graphical fidelity anyway then you may as well just get a PC and be done with it. Consoles will never be as graphically advanced as PC hardware since the latter is updated constantly. Guess that's why I took more of a liking to the Wii, because the other two were just trying to be watered down versions of PC's for the most part while the Wii was going for something different.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Honestly, I think graphics are extremely important, but I don't mean the technology behind them so much as the art direction. Even a game on a 20-year-old engine can still look fantastic if the art assets are good enough; look at Foreverhood and Urban Brawl.
Nash

Post by Nash »

kodi wrote:In some forums threads are locked as soon as there's a slight difference in opinion or there are more than two or so off-topic posts, like a harmless joke and a response to it. I think that's even worse than total anarchy.
Like the BethesdaNazithesda forum... -_-

Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3 are games from 2001 and 2003 respectively and I think their graphics are much better than most horror games in 2015. It's definitely about aesthetics and how you get around technological limitations (ie, see the Total Chaos mod for GZDoom - looking bad-ass in an engine that doesn't even do lighting). And then there's games that literally came out in 2015 but look like a 2007 game even at max settings (yet require expensive hardware from 2015), grumble grumble Witcher 3...
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Or games like Skyrim that came out in 2011 and yet looks (and performs) worse than a lot of 2007 games. :P

But the playerbase will put up with that because they have their Russian proprietary graphics mod to "fix" it all, by ruining performance even more. And there's always all the mods they can install. Who cares if the base game sucks when you can just mod it?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

wildweasel wrote:Honestly, I think graphics are extremely important, but I don't mean the technology behind them so much as the art direction. Even a game on a 20-year-old engine can still look fantastic if the art assets are good enough; look at Foreverhood and Urban Brawl.
Even something that's almost photo-realistic can be saved from the "looks extremely dated" pile by having a more whimsical style. (E.G. Dishonored) Even something that still does aim for as much realism as possible can be saved by having a solid style behind it. (E.G. Bioshock, Fallout 3)

I seem to be in a very tiny group that thinks Skyrim's default textures are just right (with a few small exceptions) and the HD pack looks noisy and terrible.

Also, it seems like equating bad administration to actual genocide is one of those annoying behaviors of the "gamers" this thread was started about. :?

Return to “Off-Topic”