Konami is pretty much dead

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Clownman

Konami is pretty much dead

Post by Clownman »

I know I might be very late on this but basically about a week ago, my friend told me that Konami might just be going under. They have recently delisted themselves from the New York Stock market, Cancelled quite a few of their own upcoming games from what I was told and are now recently saying they are going to be switching to the Mobile market claiming "It is the future" and believe using the "Pay for exclusive items" method on said Mobile Games are what they think is likely to help them survive.

Articles:
http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/14/konam ... on-mobile/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/k ... -platform/

Thoughts? Personally I think they deserve the hole they are in after killing Bomberman. This is why you don't kill off one of your own leading franchises. Capcom did it: and look where they are today. And Konami happened to do the same thing and here we are right now.

What do you all think?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Konami is pretty much dead

Post by Graf Zahl »

Clownman wrote:switching to the Mobile market claiming "It is the future" and believe using the "Pay for exclusive items" method on said Mobile Games are what they think is likely to help them survive.
The mobile game market is going to eat most of its contributors in the next few years. So much for 'it's the future'. I'm getting tired of this nonsense.The business model used to make money there is so sick that it's doomed to fail sooner or later.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a doesn't work in the real world.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Konami are nowhere near dead. IIRC they've consistently been making a profit for at least ten years, with the profit for the last financial year being $79.2 million US dollars. And that figure certainly isn't going down - in the previous financial year their profit was about $61 million.

What you have to understand is that only something like 40% of their income comes from the home video game market. The other 60% came from things like health & fitness clubs, slot machines, arcade machines, and trading cards.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Maybe the company is secretly run by the Patriots.
Nash

Post by Nash »

MJ79 wrote:Maybe the company is secretly run by the LaLiLuLeLo.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Nash wrote:
MJ79 wrote:Maybe the company is secretly run by Leileilol.
:P

EDIT: In case of confusion, this post was intended as utter absurdity, not some sort of stealth insult. I noticed how similar the two names looked and just had to make a joke. :P
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

I hope there's a chance for them to change their minds, or that this is just over-exaggerated news/badly structured words.
MJ79 wrote:Maybe the company is secretly run by Shrek.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZpg2OViI7Q

As the man said, "Konami don't know how to business".

In other news, Castlevania is dead. Long live Bloodstained.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Big C wrote:
Nash wrote:
MJ79 wrote:Maybe the company is secretly run by Leileilol.
:P
I would revive Lightning Legend and make that the primary franchise to follow SF4's footsteps and cancel *mania, sell off metal gear to behtesda, and castlevania to wayforward, because those companies love milking that legacy IP udder.

Return to “Off-Topic”