What's the deal with "gamers" these days?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: What's the deal with "gamers" these days?

Post by Zanieon »

demo_the_man wrote:but isn't that from gmod idiot box when the guy gets banned from Counterstrike by gaBAN?
FTFY

and yeah, but Call of Duty is under the same rules by now, just add 9 years old kids.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

As if the Doom community doesn't have its share of stupid, obnoxious kids. :roll:

Humans are humans. I'm sure embroidery enthusiasts can be just as cutthroat and elitist. :P
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Yeah, there are brats in all corners but the more recently popular games are bound to attract more of them because brats tend to flock to what's currently in.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Yeah, there are brats in all corners but the more recently popular games are bound to attract more of them because brats tend to flock to what's currently in.
And that ladies and gentlemen is another reason we dislike/hate brutal doom. ( asides the author being a uncrediting nazi of course )
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

insightguy wrote:
MetroidJunkie wrote:Yeah, there are brats in all corners but the more recently popular games are bound to attract more of them because brats tend to flock to what's currently in.
And that ladies and gentlemen is another reason we dislike/hate brutal doom. ( asides the author being a uncrediting nazi of course )
Salvador Dali supported Spanish fascist dictator Franco Fransisco, but I can still appreciate the genius of his work regardless.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Could we perhaps not have that discussion again? It's been discussed to death across all facets of the Doom community, ad nauseum. I would think everybody has made all the points that could be made, and few people are going to change their opinions about it now.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Reactor wrote:Pretty much my thoughts. Today's gamer thinks that hyper-realistic graphics makes a game good.
As has already been pointed out in this thread, it's hardly just "today's gamers" who prefer good graphics over good gameplay. Back in the 80s, countless people decided to buy a Amstrad CPC on the basis that it had better graphical capabilities than its competitors (e.g. it supported 27 colours, rather than the Commodore 64's 16 and ZX Spectrum's 15), the quality of games that were available for each platform having little or no impact on their decision.

There are also numerous people who are of the opinion that the mass appeal of the original Quake was due almost entirely to its graphics. That does explain why the modern day Quake 1 community is so small in comparison to Doom's, with most of the original fans having long since moved on to more graphically advanced titles.
Reactor wrote:Eventually the fate of Medal of Honor will reach the likes of Battlefield and Call of Vérpistike as well...
I'm not sure why you're treating Medal of Honor like it was some major fad of the time. The best selling entry in the MoH series, Frontline, sold little over 8 million copies; in comparison, every CoD since number 3 has sold more copies than that (even 3 only sold about half a million less) and Modern Warfare 3 and the two Black Ops titles have all sold more than triple that number, with Ghosts almost doing so as well. MW3 and the two Black Ops are in the top 20 best selling games of all time, and Ghosts, MW1, MW2, and World at War are in the top 40. Frontline doesn't even make it into the top 50.

You can't use the excuse that more people buy games now than they did back then, because it just isn't true. The 1985 title Super Mario Bros is something like the fifth best selling title of all time (IIRC GTA V has recently overtaken it) - with sales of over 40 million... and that's just on a single platform, any subsequent ports to later Nintendo consoles being excluded from the 40 million figure. In fact, over a quarter of the top 40 best selling games are at least 13 years old (the same age as Frontline).
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

There has always been a section in the gaming community whose collective attitude stinks. I grew up during the height of the Mega Drive/Super NES debate, which at times felt more like a civil war than friendly banter between mates.

I've recently become active on GTAForums again after a five+ year hiatus amd it's made me realize just how comparitively relaxed and inviting the Doom community really is. Almost every discussion seems to end in a fanwar between either the V fans who see the IV fans as hipsters and the IV fans who see the V fans as philistines, or the typical PCMR v console flamebait. Honestly, if I read the word "peasant" one more time, I'm probably gonna have a stroke or something.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

My question is what will the industry do when they hit the absolute ceiling of graphical fidelity that cannot go any higher?
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

scalliano wrote:Almost every discussion seems to end in a fanwar between either the V fans who see the IV fans as hipsters and the IV fans who see the V fans as philistines
GTA1 is the only real GTA anyway.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Glaice wrote:My question is what will the industry do when they hit the absolute ceiling of graphical fidelity that cannot go any higher?
Probably when we reach the point where our own human eyes literally can't perceive any more increases on fidelity. It probably won't happen for quite a while, although the differences are beginning to stagnate because there's only so much that they can continue to add.

Spoiler:

Obviously, there's still a difference but it isn't a huge one. Nowhere near as noticeable as, say...

Spoiler:
I bet you the differences between the Ps4/One and the next generation will be even smaller.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

NiGHTMARE wrote:I'm not sure why you're treating Medal of Honor like it was some major fad of the time. The best selling entry in the MoH series, Frontline, sold little over 8 million copies; in comparison, every CoD since number 3 has sold more copies than that (even 3 only sold about half a million less) and Modern Warfare 3 and the two Black Ops titles have all sold more than triple that number, with Ghosts almost doing so as well. MW3 and the two Black Ops are in the top 20 best selling games of all time, and Ghosts, MW1, MW2, and World at War are in the top 40. Frontline doesn't even make it into the top 50.

You can't use the excuse that more people buy games now than they did back then, because it just isn't true. The 1985 title Super Mario Bros is something like the fifth best selling title of all time (IIRC GTA V has recently overtaken it) - with sales of over 40 million... and that's just on a single platform, any subsequent ports to later Nintendo consoles being excluded from the 40 million figure. In fact, over a quarter of the top 40 best selling games are at least 13 years old (the same age as Frontline).
Well, I just talk about what I witnessed here. 10 years before, Medal of Honor was just like Battlefield, and Call of Vérpistike is today. It was worshipped, praised, and hyped everywhere. And today, nobody plays it anymore, at least here. Medal of Honor couldn't be immortalized, as it had no factors like Doom or Half-life, or even Wolfenstein has. It was a pretty generic world war shooter following "kill everyone in different coloured uniforms" politics. GTA could reach high publicity and profit because it was the very first complete crime-simulator, no such game was made before. No wonder it became a LOT more successful than Mafia. Well, main thing is, Call of Vérpistike hasn't any factors which could save it from oblivion. Sooner or later, a new "cool game" shall be developed, and Call of Vérpistike will be nothing more than a bitter memory.
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Glaice wrote:My question is what will the industry do when they hit the absolute ceiling of graphical fidelity that cannot go any higher?
Probably when we reach the point where our own human eyes literally can't perceive any more increases on fidelity. It probably won't happen for quite a while, although the differences are beginning to stagnate because there's only so much that they can continue to add.
Well, aiming for more than 30 frames per second as a standard would be a nice place to start (it's nice to see some games making an effort to do so on the latest consoles). Besides that, I'm sure the industry will find new ways to increase "realism" without increasing polycount, but by that point in time the cost of labour and time to produce such games would be more than it is to crank up the graphics for a diminishing return. I could be wrong, I can say that when Super Mario Sunshine came out it was hard to imagine anything looking smoother. We could always be surprised.

In any case games with good art design will not need to rely on huge polycounts and 4k textures, like Team Fortress 2. I think more stylized, technologically future-proofed games will be coming in the future in a similar way small name studios use pixel art to reduce costs right now.

In either case I figure people will begin to get less excited about the graphics of an upcoming game and more about what the game is.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Guess the fanboys will have to find something else to argue about once fidelity reaches the point where our human eyes can't perceive anything further. Then again, I've seen people refuse to buy a game just because the pixel resolution was slightly less than 720p.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Is it just me or are games trying to be too political nowadays?

Return to “Off-Topic”