What's the deal with "gamers" these days?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: What's the deal with "gamers" these days?

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Oh, don't get me started on graphics-obsessed people. Being into the Skyrim/FO3/FNV modding community has taught me that some people have a completely distorted image of what's "realistic" (or are obsessed with viewing everything through defective camera lenses).
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

IMHO these people were never really outside in the real world, where of course, most effects work differently than in-game.

And if they don't like reality...complain to God :D like God would have time to listen their whining...
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

I hear alot of people say the Wii U is "failing"... but I know why, And why is that?

Gamers today are spoiled.

Simply put pretty much the only thing they ever want to play these days is Call of Duty or Battlefield. And apparently if it's nothing like that or has "inferior graphics" than it automatically sucks. Doom honestly looks much better than Call of Duty IMO. At least it has some color rather than just Pale yellow, gray and a bit of brown and desaturated colors all around. Hell, I don't mind if a game has good graphics. Some games look amazing (Super Mario 3D World, SSB4) but they also have to play well. and those 2 games actually do. Call of Duty is just a rehash of what we have been seeing for the past 10 fucking years now.

To the point that the market is plauged with shovelware all trying to be a carbon copy of Call of Duty. Complete with Iron Sights, SOVIET RUSSIA, Mountaindew/Doritosdude!!11lol! and of course regenerating health and bland uninspired insipid linear level design. All of this is what is going to lead us to another Video Game Crash. You know... when the industry was getting nothing but clones and shovelware? It's happening again. ((Well I think just the FPS industry will crash while Platformers and other genres will most likely strive on... As long as I have Doom I'm okay.))
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

I sort of understand the craze about graphics. I mean, playing a hyper-realistic looking game a a good framerate is an awesome experience. And if you invested ~2000€ into your PC, you probably want to utilize it's capabilities.
I can't really say that today's games suck. They're not my style, yeah, but that's subjective.

I consider COD the Super Mario of FPS. Honestly, it is for FPS what Mario is for sidescrollers. And I honestly have to say, it's not a horrible game. None of the CODs is actually really bad. It's communities are.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

TheBadHustlex wrote:I sort of understand the craze about graphics. I mean, playing a hyper-realistic looking game a a good framerate is an awesome experience. And if you invested ~2000€ into your PC, you probably want to utilize it's capabilities.
I can't really say that today's games suck. They're not my style, yeah, but that's subjective.

I consider COD the Super Mario of FPS. Honestly, it is for FPS what Mario is for sidescrollers. And I honestly have to say, it's not a horrible game. None of the CODs is actually really bad. It's communities are.
I couldn't agree more with that.

Most of my friends are diehard nintendo fans, when i ask them what's so good about those games they just reply generic "Because it's all fun" "Because i had a childhood" and such, not that i dislike Mario games, nintendo games or anything, they're just not my type of games and i get so much shit when i tell them i'm not interested in those, and they get even angrier when i mention the "Nintendo Gamers are all Little Kids" stereotype, it just proves that communities have a big impact on how a game or franchise is seen by others, and it usually gets mixed with stereotypes likes the "Yelling Raging Kids" in shooters and the "Little Babies" that play nintendo's games.

But back to the real point of the thread, seeking "better" graphics is something that has always been there, but people seem to forget all the fun they had in Generic Game 3 when Generic Game 4 Ultimate Turbo HD Extreme gets released.

Now ask yourself why did you even read this post.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

MetroidJunkie wrote:
Just popping in to say this video is quite good. Thanks for the link!

Also, intentionally quoting it so folks who missed it on page 1 will get a second prompt to watch it. :P
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

Forget Cawadoody and the persistent clash between graphics and gameplay. You want to know what's the real deal with gamers these days? Look up Gamergate.
Big C

Post by Big C »

MJ79 wrote:Forget Cawadoody and the persistent clash between graphics and gameplay. You want to know what's the real deal with gamers these days? Look up Gamergate.
Oh PLEASE. That's just one drop in a bucket full of misery at this point. Even without Gamergate there's crap going on like the Valve paid mods fiasco and all of Konami's recent behavior.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MJ79 wrote:Forget Cawadoody and the persistent clash between graphics and gameplay. You want to know what's the real deal with gamers these days? Look up Gamergate.
MJ79 (and all others reading this), I would be very happy if that subject never, ever gets brought up on these forums. I've seen too many flamewars and ruined friendships, and I don't want that spreading here.
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

I know, I'm just saying that there's bigger scheißestürmen out there than COD and console conflicts. And Brütal Doom.
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xtyfe »

What's wrong with gamers? That's like saying "what's wrong with rock music" back in the 70s. It's the same thing really, we have grown up in different times and that is all there is to it.

Things wont ever be the same and that is that. Time to get with the times maaaan.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Clownman wrote:I hear alot of people say the Wii U is "failing"... but I know why, And why is that?

Simply put pretty much the only thing they ever want to play these days is Call of Duty or Battlefield. And apparently if it's nothing like that or has "inferior graphics" than it automatically sucks. Doom honestly looks much better than Call of Duty IMO. At least it has some color rather than just Pale yellow, gray and a bit of brown and desaturated colors all around. Hell, I don't mind if a game has good graphics. Some games look amazing (Super Mario 3D World, SSB4) but they also have to play well. and those 2 games actually do. Call of Duty is just a rehash of what we have been seeing for the past 10 fucking years now.

To the point that the market is plauged with shovelware all trying to be a carbon copy of Call of Duty. Complete with Iron Sights, SOVIET RUSSIA, Mountaindew/Doritosdude!!11lol! and of course regenerating health and bland uninspired insipid linear level design. All of this is what is going to lead us to another Video Game Crash. You know... when the industry was getting nothing but clones and shovelware? It's happening again. ((Well I think just the FPS industry will crash while Platformers and other genres will most likely strive on... As long as I have Doom I'm okay.))

Pretty much my thoughts. Today's gamer thinks that hyper-realistic graphics makes a game good. Which is of course, a bullshit. Graphics is only the 20% of a game, albeit the most obvious one. There is still programming (20%), storyline (20%), sound and music (20%) and level design (20%) involved. If it looks beautiful, but is unenjoyable, then it can go straight into the garbage can. As I told ya, ultra-realistic graphics is mostly an excuse for hardware manufacturers to sell their overpriced video cards. However, ultra-realistic graphics is also an effective tool to turn the players' attention away from the fact that the rest of the game is actually bad. It's like disguising a pile of shit with glitter.
I'm actually surprised how come that gamers didn't have enough of this crap, which gets cloned & rebooted every year just with different title, but the gameplay is just the same. Well, no matter. Eventually the fate of Medal of Honor will reach the likes of Battlefield and Call of Vérpistike as well...
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Call of Duty players in a single gif
Spoiler:
and Bugfield is just for the sake of Money

What i see alot today is the Youtubers trying be "gamers" but in fact they are just like PewDewPie, playing any shit just for the monetization
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

but isn't that from gmod idiot box when the guy gets banned from Counterstrike by gaben?
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

wildweasel wrote:
MJ79 (and all others reading this), I would be very happy if that subject never, ever gets brought up on these forums. I've seen too many flamewars and ruined friendships, and I don't want that spreading here.
If the forum I posted here a while back is of any indication, most of this forum seems apathetic to it, so no worries! :P

Return to “Off-Topic”