[Textures] Transparent cable textures (found!)

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Tormentor667

[Textures] Transparent cable textures (found!)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Whipped something up, inspired by esselfortium's cables in TSoZD
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Thu May 07, 2015 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Textures] Looking for transparent cable textures

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Tormentor667 wrote:...that can be used hanging from the ceiling, at a wall or sticking out of the ground. This shouldn't be hyper-modern as it is used in a WolfenDoom mod.
Hey Torm, any real-life example of 'em? Maybe I could have some but I need an example. :roll:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Found something useful in my Refinery, totally forgot about these

*EDIT*
(removed the traced variants, original work at the bottom)
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Looks really good. Also I see you've added 'em. So it's quite done. :-D
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Tormentor667 wrote:Found something useful in my Refinery, totally forgot about these (based on idea by esselfortium)
You mean "literally traced from textures by esselfortium"...

I should remind you that I only reluctantly allowed you to release these and the other TSoZD-based content as-is in Refinery because I was tired of all the nonsense after you lied to me several times about "remaking from scratch" all the TSoZD content that you weren't supposed to redistribute, when you had actually just noise-filtered and mirrored most of them. Yes, the released versions (after I caught you thieving them and lying about it) might be "made from scratch", but they're still 1:1 replicas of my work.

Comparisons of several of them downloaded from this thread, vs the corresponding TSoZD textures: http://imgur.com/a/fuXpj

Yeah, yeah, they're just textures in a Doom wad. I wouldn't care so much about this if you hadn't been so dishonest, deceptive, and ungrateful throughout the entire exchange.

(For those in the audience unfamiliar with the situation, this applies to a lot more textures than just the hanging cable midtextures shown here.)

edit 5/6/15: The textures in the OP have been replaced with new ones.
Last edited by esselfortium on Wed May 06, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Yes, I retraced them. Yes I have been dishonest, deceptive and ungrateful. And yes, we both know that I have excused myself when things happened. People make mistakes. Though feel free to continue being resentful and waste time and energy, for me this is just a perfect example of a bagatelle meanwhile who considers himself and his work to be more important than it actually is.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Tormentor667 wrote:Yes, I retraced them. Yes I have been dishonest, deceptive and ungrateful. And yes, we both know that I have excused myself when things happened. People make mistakes. Though feel free to continue being resentful and waste time and energy, for me this is just a perfect example of a bagatelle meanwhile who considers himself and his work to be more important than it actually is.
Of course. As always, the only problem with you stealing my shit and lying about it is my attitude. :roll:

If my work is truly so unimportant and insignificant, then you should have no trouble not ripping it off.

BTW, thinking that you can steal freely from other content creators and insult them over it without consequence really seems like something that would be done by a person who "considers himself and his work to be more important than it actually is".
Tarnsman

Post by Tarnsman »

Just throwing this out here, hear me out on it, because I know this is a radical idea. How about instead of saying "Oh hey I found this thing I made (that I totally shamelessly ripped off from another person)" instead say "Oh hey I found these textures by *insert said person here* can anyone think of something similar as these textures currently fall under 'Do not reuse'?". Don't try to perpetuate the actions that piss someone off and then try and take the high road and act like they need to be more adult about it. There is a word for that type of behavior but it's not suitable for polite society.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

If he created them himself, then should there at least be credit citing inspiration? I found those same cable textures either in cc4 or some other megawad resource. I see where Essel is coming from. I got ticked off by someone modifying an angled weapon I created without my permission or a quick notice, ya know? A resource used in Doom is free game, but it's always courteous to give credit where it's due. From an artist's perspective, I see where he is coming from. If you had an idea of how much stress and nonsense comes with people being jolly about rips from the people who created them, you'd know how it feels! It sucks, haha.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Tormentor667 wrote:Found something useful in my Refinery, totally forgot about these (based on idea by esselfortium)
I retraced them, it is based on work by essel but it is completely recreated with Photoshop. We have discussed that already years ago when The Refinery has been released and I already excused myself for the way I've acted. The situation was cleared. It's not that I didn't care back then. It's simply narrow-minded that essel starts over again.
This is exactly what it is: An idea by essel that he has prepared for TSoZD and that I recreated in Photoshop for my own projects. I see no reason to apologize again for something we have already discussed.

And that's the end of the matter, don't expect any further posts from me in this thread.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'm actually not very happy in general with the way Tormentor is conducting himself in regards to resource usage. I was not (initially) contacted about using the Nazis codebase for Blade of Agony, and I almost feel as if it was a mistake granting him the benefit of the doubt, given this situation.

Don't disappoint me, Tormentor. Figure something else out. I don't want it to escalate from here.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

torm thats not recreating, when you recreate you do so from memory not by tracing. you could and still can draw up new cables, and then do the same type of shading you did on the traced ones.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I simply take the situation with a pinch of salt. I always state in my mod's text files that people are free to use resources or base their work because it makes things easier (with crediting of course). For me this is kinda usual and sometimes I simply forget to ask (but never forget to credit). I mean, do people ever ask 3D Realms, GT Interactive or even ID Software if it is okay to edit or reuse their work in different games? It's actually the same situation. Not that I consider this to be a call to rip and copy the hell out of other people's work but to a certain extend, this is what keeps the community alive. Not everyone is a good sprite artist but maybe a good mapper or coder.

Concerning the cables: As I have stated before, the situation has been cleared up back then. For me Essel's instigations are a proof that this is not about the cables but a more personal thing. Just for the comparison: Wildwessel sent me pm concerning ww-nazis, wouldnt have a pm from essel be enough saying "Hey Torm, misunderstanding regarding the cables!". Instead he drags a cleared situation into public, that has been discussed privately in the TSoZD forums and via pm, fishing for supporters. Honestly,... is this necessary?

*EDIT*
See first post for new cable textures, build from scratch.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Tormentor667 wrote:I simply take the situation with a pinch of salt. I always state in my mod's text files that people are free to use resources or base their work because it makes things easier (with crediting of course). For me this is kinda usual and sometimes I simply forget to ask (but never forget to credit). I mean, do people ever ask 3D Realms, GT Interactive or even ID Software if it is okay to edit or reuse their work in different games? It's actually the same situation. Not that I consider this to be a call to rip and copy the hell out of other people's work but to a certain extend, this is what keeps the community alive. Not everyone is a good sprite artist but maybe a good mapper or coder.

Concerning the cables: As I have stated before, the situation has been cleared up back then. For me Essel's instigations are a proof that this is not about the cables but a more personal thing. Just for the comparison: Wildwessel sent me pm concerning ww-nazis, wouldnt have a pm from essel be enough saying "Hey Torm, misunderstanding regarding the cables!". Instead he drags a cleared situation into public, that has been discussed privately in the TSoZD forums and via pm, fishing for supporters. Honestly,... is this necessary?
Why would I expect anything positive to come from PMing you about it after how you've treated me over it before, and again here? And yes, it is necessary. There was never a "misunderstanding", you understood the terms exactly when you were ripping off my stuff and lying to me about it. I've not exactly been given a reason to tread lightly or assume an innocent mistake here.

As I explained above, the situation was never properly "cleared up" satisfactorily. In the end I gave up in frustration because I was tired of being lied to, having my intelligence insulted, and being handed the responsibility of picking through each incarnation of the resource wad you sent me to check whether I would notice that you were being dishonest.
*EDIT*
See first post for new cable textures, build from scratch.
And to think, it only took three years :lol:

Okay then.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

esselfortium wrote:Why would I expect anything positive to come from PMing you about it after how you've treated me over it before, and again here?
Then why the public effort? For your bandwagon campaign? We both know it's not about the cables anymore, but if you know my ignorant point of view, I don't get it why you invest so much time to describe factoids.

Anyway, you're repeating, I have already excused myself 3 years ago and neither can I withdraw what's happened nor am I willed to excuse myself over again 3 years later. I am not as simple-minded as you think. The sole purpose of pulling this into public has nothing to do with the original point of contention anymore, and in my eyes that's a waste of time.

By the way, have you ever noticed the original retraced cables in Refinery can be found in various other projects already even though the copyright clearly states "You MUST NOT use material from this project."? I wonder if you have contacted those authors...

Return to “Resources”