OMG Weapons and Monsters! V5 - TENTH ANNIVERSARy EDITION

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
deathz0r
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

OMG Weapons and Monsters! V5 - TENTH ANNIVERSARy EDITION

Post by deathz0r »

Spoiler: Old trailer
After ten millenia years, the ancient beast mod has been reawakened

I'm literally 12 and what is this

OMG Weapons and Monsters! (or OMGWPNS for short) is the first randomiser mod that was ever released. It was originally released here on the ZDoom forums and then a short time later at /idgames. It was pivotal in ensuring that RandomSpawner support was implemented in ZDoom, although it was never officially updated to use RandomSpawner until six years later, though I don't really consider that as a true update.

The philosophy of OMGWPNS was simple: stick to nothing but recoloured monsters and slightly modified weapon sprites and provide my vision of an expanded Doom experience, you could call it vanilla-esque because everything is balanced with respect to vanilla content. This was a shout out to old Quake mods from the 90s that I enjoyed a lot, such as Killer Quake Pack. That philosophy still rings true, which leads to an interesting design challenge in an era where ~50MB PK3s are the norm while OMGWPNS is <1MB PK3. If I can't fit it on a floppy disk, then something has gone horribly wrong.

Which brings us to today, where I have done a lot of rebalancing of the monsters and weapons, refined the recolouring of monsters and added new weapons and monsters in the mix, and fixing a lot of bugs and usability issues with the original version. On top of that, the Eternity Engine is now supported with the custom monsters!

Why are you even updating this and not making a new mod, you unoriginal twat?

My main reason is that I've been developing a mod for Zandronum named Endless Survival and in early versions I had all of the OMGWPNS resources integrated into it, and I was rebalancing everything in the process. When I noticed that the changes I were making would benefit regular maps, I decided to split the OMGWPNS stuff away from Endless Survival and had uploaded a new version a couple weeks ago, but only got around to uploading a trailer today because of HDD issues and being really busy IRL. I also want to see how much design space I really have when I'm limited to nothing more than recolouring monsters, projectiles and slightly modifying weapon sprites.

I don't really expect to update this frequently, but I will make an effort to update it when I get inspiration!

Download

Full mod:
OMG Weapons and Monsters! V5

Individual downloads:
OMG Weapons! V5
OMG Monsters! V5
Spoiler: Previous versions
Mutators

OMGWPNS as of V5 features custom CVARs for players and server hosts to have a flexible experience. You can change them via the options menu in ZDoom, or via the console in Zandronum. The available CVARs are as follows:

omg_vanillaweapons (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) allows all weapons to spawn, setting this to 1 (On) only allows vanilla weapons to spawn. If it is changed from 0 to 1, the effect on the player is immediate - you can pick up the weapons, but you can no longer select the custom weapons until you set it back to 0. If you have a custom weapon selected before you change it to 1 and you attempt to shoot after it has changed, it will switch weapons and alert monsters. Vanilla weapons will have normal Doom weapon switching speed with this enabled. This does not change what has already spawned on the map, but it will override individual weapon spawn settings. Default is 0.

omg_vanillamonsters (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) allows all monsters to spawn, setting this to 1 (On) only allows vanilla monsters to spawn. This is a global effect and will override individual monster spawn settings. Effect is applied after changing the map. Default is 0.

omg_removevanillamonsters (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) allows all monsters to spawn, setting this to 1 (On) only allows custom monsters to spawn. If you specify a vanilla monster to be spawned in the manual override spawns, that will override this effect for that monster. Effect is applied after changing the map. Default is 0.

omg_instantswitch (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) disables instant weapon switching, but weapons will switch at double the speed of regular Doom weapons. Setting this to 1 (On) enables instant weapon switching. Effect is applied immediately. Default is 0.

omg_simpleammo (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) allows custom weapons to have different ammo types from their vanilla oounterpart. (eg. the Laser Pistol uses Cells while the Pistol uses Bullets) Setting this to 1 (On) only allows custom weapons to have the same ammo type as their vanilla counterpart. Ammo usage for those weapons are rebalanced based on approximate damage. Zombiemen will also only drop clips instead of cells if omg_formerhumanitems is set to 0. Recommended for Survival Co-op and Deathmatch. Effect is applied immediately. Default is 0.

omg_passthrough (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) disabled player projectiles to pass through other players. Setting this to 1 (On) allows player projectiles passing through. Deathmatch automatically implies this to be set at 0. Effect is applied immediately. Default is 1.

omg_chainsawspawn (0-3)
omg_shotgunspawn (0-3)
omg_supershotgunspawn (0-3)
omg_chaingunspawn (0-4)
omg_rocketspawn (0-6)
omg_plasmaspawn (0-5)
omg_bfgspawn (0-5)
Manual spawn overrides for each weapon pickup. Setting to 0 (Random) will randomise weapon spawns, setting to 1 will spawn the vanilla weapon drop, while setting a value from 2 onwards will spawn specific custom weapons. Invalid values will spawn nothing. Effect is applied after changing the map. Default is 0.

omg_formerhumanitems (0-2)
Setting this to 0 (Normal) allows Zombiemen and Nazis to drop clips or cells on death, Shotgun Guys drop random Shotguns and Chaingun Guys drop random Chainguns. Setting this to 1 (Vanilla) only allows vanilla item drops. Setting this to 2 (Classic) allows the old item drops from previous versions. If omg_simpleammo is set to 1 while this is set to 2, this will act like it has been set to 1. Effect is applied immediately. Default is 0.

omg_spawnmultiplier (1-100)
Mutliplies the amount of monsters and ammo spawned, similar to "10x" mods like 10xu. If all other monster spawn settings are set to default, it will randomise
the monsters that are multiplied, otherwise it will respect any settings that are applied. Valid ranges are 1-100. Effect is applied after changing the map. Default is 1.

omg_monsterjump (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) allows Blood Imps, Psychoskeles and Minions to move like regular monsters. Setting this to 1 (On) allows them to randomly jump a small distance while chasing their target. This is useful if these monsters are spawned at a location where they cannot attack the player under normal circumstances, such as on a cliff or the top of a pillar or a crate. Effect is applied immediately. Default is 1.

omg_superbosses (0-1)
Setting this to 0 (Off) disables super bosses from randomly spawning. Setting this to 1 (On) allows very tough custom bosses to randomly spawn that have a decreased chance to spawn than regular bosses. This will not override individual Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind spawn settings. Effect is applied after changing the map. Default is 1.

omg_zombiemanspawn (0-4)
omg_shotgunguyspawn (0-4)
omg_chaingunguyspawn (0-5)
omg_impspawn (0-5)
omg_demonspawn (0-4)
omg_spectrespawn (0-2)
omg_lostsoulspawn (0-4)
omg_cacodemonspawn (0-4)
omg_hellknightspawn (0-4)
omg_baronofhellspawn (0-4)
omg_arachnotronspawn (0-4)
omg_painelementalspawn (0-4)
omg_revenantspawn (0-4)
omg_mancubusspawn (0-4)
omg_archvilespawn (0-4)
omg_spidermastermindspawn (0-7)
omg_cyberdemonspawn (0-8)
omg_nazispawn (0-4)
Manual spawn overrides for each monster. Setting to 0 (Random) will randomise monster spawns, setting to 1 will spawn the vanilla monster, while setting a value from 2 onwards will spawn specific custom monsters. Invalid values will spawn nothing. Setting omg_nazispawn to 1 (Nazi) is recommended for WADs featuring DEHACKED lumps that change Nazis to a new monster. Effect is applied after changing the map. Default is 0.
Spoiler: the fun house, cool people only
Changelog
Spoiler:
Special thanks

TerminusEst13 and Ijon Tichy for the Samsara weapon pickup code, which was essential reading for writing the V5 weapon pickup code

Soundwave for being an awesome beta tester and giving excellent feedback
Last edited by deathz0r on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:47 am, edited 26 times in total.
Triple S

Re: OMG Weapons and Monsters! V3 - THE REBIRTH

Post by Triple S »

Oh my god it can't be

Downloading this right away. I still run through shit with the original.
deathz0r

Post by deathz0r »

It totally is, son

Oh yeah and the fast fists is affected by the Berserk powerup now, forgot to add that in the video
HeX

Post by HeX »

This mod is shit and so are you.

10/5
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

I LOVE YOU DEAT
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't think I ever gave this an honest review back in the day. Perhaps when I get home I'll give it another go.
Imp Hunter

Post by Imp Hunter »

This wad was (and still is) an inspiration for me! It's nice too see it back :D
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Spoiler: re: trailer
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Zenon »

<3
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home

Post by Armaetus »

Why not move the contents into PK3 format?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Anything with randomly colored monsters/weapons is right up my alley.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

This was the first weapon- and monster-mod I've played. I have to try this out.
Untitled
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Untitled »

I think you probably should move the Demon of the Pit (rare boss) from Cyberdemon to Spider Mastermind - we already have a Super-Baron in the cyber slot, and traditionally, nastier bosses should be put in the Mastermind slot (due to the Spider Mastermind being much rarer).

Also, I feel the revenant lord could be moved to the Cyber slot - it's not terribly large, and given that Cyberdemons are way more common than masterminds it could easily go in there.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Is... Is this a dream?
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

This mod is what got me into doom modding years and years ago. That being said I'm liking all the new changes, oh and welcome back deathz0r <3

Return to “Gameplay Mods”