GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action (last post here 4-18-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 3/9/2015 [V0.9.

Post by Captain J »

Hetdegon wrote:Is that slimes? Blackberry flavored? Fun!
and tasty looking as a black pudding.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

i see it separates itself in half, but is it doing it for only once? or not, it might be a ultra-sticky situation to against them.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Captain J wrote:i see it separates itself in half, but is it doing it for only once? or not, it might be a ultra-sticky situation to against them.
It's a one time shot, and the clone can't replicate either.

I'm not as cruel as Term
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Combine_Kegan wrote:I'm not as cruel as Term
O right, gotta know the difference. :oops:
Zaratul

Post by Zaratul »

Never played this mod until today and i`m having a blast playing it.Great work on this mod! I have two suggestions:more weapons and\or subweapons and full Heretic and Hexen support.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Zaratul wrote:Never played this mod until today and i`m having a blast playing it.Great work on this mod! I have two suggestions:more weapons and\or subweapons and full Heretic and Hexen support.
Blaz is getting one more subweapon in the coming update. But two weapons per hero is the idea for GMOTA.

Don't worry though, there'll be more playable characters in the future, and as for heretic/hexen support? Possibly, but that's very low on the to-do list to be perfectly honest
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Been playing this version for a bit now, and I've got 2 major gripes.

1. the powered Blazter's shots are way too costly for the little they heal. Also, since the shots now break apart, the bouncy shots don't heal you either. I mean, it's 5 mana for 1 hp if you actually hit something. Not only that, they're also considerably more powerful than what they where before, so you really can't get a lot of health, even from a hell knight. The most you'd get is about 3-4 hp, and that's not counting any damage taken either. Kinda feels like it goes against the concept of using the Blazter's powered form. As it is right now, it's better to go for the alt-fire or use the spells, really.

Speaking of which, love the giant red beach ball. It does look a tad odd when it suddenly goes from beach ball to spiked orb when it smashes itself into the ground tho.

2. Why does the Shining knight take 120 arcane energy to activate and then run off of the piddly 80 you've got left over? It's almost never worth using right now since you waste so much just using it. I mean, right now arcane energy is hardly useful, what with the only actual way to use it is to get close to use a cleave. That's about it, really. To even be able to use it properly you'd need at least a full bar, anything less and it's wasted ammo. Prior to this, it made sense to have it take 160, since you'd always be guaranteed a pretty decent amount of time to actually use it. Now it just feels way too weak, the new item crashes and the improved cleave are both better alternatives for dealing damage. Also, I'm pretty certain the waves you fire got nerfed as well.

If anything, I'd reduce it to about 75 arcane, and give it a insta-clear move (sort've how Demonsteele's Iron Maiden has a Kamehameha move that obliterates everything but costs a large chunk of soul.) that'd cost another 75/100. That way the player has the choice of either using the buffs the Shining grants, or instantly clearing out a huge amount of enemies. Maybe something storm related?

For the record I still love how far this has come and the item crashes are a blast to use, though the knives are comparatively wimpy to literally everything else. I mean, I'd go for shield, axe, torch, or lance before I'd ever touch the knives. Think it has something to do with the fact that they've remained unchanged compared to the other crashes. They're decent, but I tend to overlook them often.

The axe crash is the best, especially once you've gotten several backpacks/expanders. Soooooo many axes.

The torch is the torch. It torches. Quite well, actually. FWOOOOSH.

Oh, one other thing, it seems like the lance's item crash tends to "die" on me pretty often. Or rather, it seems to not do much. I'm honestly not too sure if I'm supposed to aim it, or throw in the general direction of something. Looks awesome tho.

I have literally 0 complaints about the shield. The cyclone is wonderful for dispersing enemies, and the shield makes close combat an actual possibility. Despite losing it's status as free invincibility, I actually like using it now.

Looking forward to the rest!
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Cryomundus wrote:Been playing this version for a bit now, and I've got 2 major gripes.

1. the powered Blazter's shots are way too costly for the little they heal. Also, since the shots now break apart, the bouncy shots don't heal you either. I mean, it's 5 mana for 1 hp if you actually hit something. Not only that, they're also considerably more powerful than what they where before, so you really can't get a lot of health, even from a hell knight. The most you'd get is about 3-4 hp, and that's not counting any damage taken either. Kinda feels like it goes against the concept of using the Blazter's powered form. As it is right now, it's better to go for the alt-fire or use the spells, really.

Speaking of which, love the giant red beach ball. It does look a tad odd when it suddenly goes from beach ball to spiked orb when it smashes itself into the ground tho.

2. Why does the Shining knight take 120 arcane energy to activate and then run off of the piddly 80 you've got left over? It's almost never worth using right now since you waste so much just using it. I mean, right now arcane energy is hardly useful, what with the only actual way to use it is to get close to use a cleave. That's about it, really. To even be able to use it properly you'd need at least a full bar, anything less and it's wasted ammo. Prior to this, it made sense to have it take 160, since you'd always be guaranteed a pretty decent amount of time to actually use it. Now it just feels way too weak, the new item crashes and the improved cleave are both better alternatives for dealing damage. Also, I'm pretty certain the waves you fire got nerfed as well.

If anything, I'd reduce it to about 75 arcane, and give it a insta-clear move (sort've how Demonsteele's Iron Maiden has a Kamehameha move that obliterates everything but costs a large chunk of soul.) that'd cost another 75/100. That way the player has the choice of either using the buffs the Shining grants, or instantly clearing out a huge amount of enemies. Maybe something storm related?
I actually removed the life drain effect for the big cannon's primary fire for the next upcoming version, it's now assigned to the powered sword's melee strikes, and you're going to be wanting to use those spinning bola shots more often as well, I've nerfed the reach of all stages of the buster shot (pellet, mid, max charge), meaning the only two attacks that have infinite range are darts and bola shots.

as for the shining knight issue, I'll look into giving it some kinda screen clearing attack and maybe reduce the cost of calling upon it. Right now I've been preoccupied finishing up Zandronum compatibility.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

I'd give the pellet infinite range tho, it's your one and only accurate ranged attack, and the darts are more scatter shot, unless you want to revert that to the old accurate style, just with the new sprites and burst fire modes. Otherwise, you'd just wind up with the problem you had at the beginning of the mod, enemies too far out of range for you to hit. (revenant sentries, minigunner sentries, cyberdemon sentries, mastermind sentries, arch-vile sentries, really anything on a platform/cliff-face that you can't pull off with the hookshot)

Also, I noticed that the lance's item crash only does it's big Lightingstrike when it hits a cyberdemon. Also, it does a surprisingly small amount of damage for the incredibly crappy range it has. Maybe give it chain-lighting?
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Cryomundus wrote:I'd give the pellet infinite range tho, it's your one and only accurate ranged attack, and the darts are more scatter shot, unless you want to revert that to the old accurate style, just with the new sprites and burst fire modes. Otherwise, you'd just wind up with the problem you had at the beginning of the mod, enemies too far out of range for you to hit. (revenant sentries, minigunner sentries, cyberdemon sentries, mastermind sentries, arch-vile sentries, really anything on a platform/cliff-face that you can't pull off with the hookshot)

Also, I noticed that the lance's item crash only does it's big Lightingstrike when it hits a cyberdemon. Also, it does a surprisingly small amount of damage for the incredibly crappy range it has. Maybe give it chain-lighting?
Use a charged buster shot for long range, save up mana for bola shots, carry a lance, or use the dart's charge attack. I'm not backing down from this decision either, Blaz was never meant to be this powerful at long range, you want a sniper character? Wait til the second character is ready then.

The rocket lance only calls down lightning when it hits a target that can't be ripped, like boss monsters, Skuttles, etc, and it does a -lot- of damage, given the fact you can kill a cyberdemon with two of them, and you can potentially carry up to 9 of them.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
Cryomundus wrote:I'd give the pellet infinite range tho, it's your one and only accurate ranged attack, and the darts are more scatter shot, unless you want to revert that to the old accurate style, just with the new sprites and burst fire modes. Otherwise, you'd just wind up with the problem you had at the beginning of the mod, enemies too far out of range for you to hit. (revenant sentries, minigunner sentries, cyberdemon sentries, mastermind sentries, arch-vile sentries, really anything on a platform/cliff-face that you can't pull off with the hookshot)

Use a charged buster shot for long range, save up mana for bola shots, carry a lance, or use the dart's charge attack. I'm not backing down from this decision either, Blaz was never meant to be this powerful at long range, you want a sniper character? Wait til the second character is ready then.

The rocket lance only calls down lightning when it hits a target that can't be ripped, like boss monsters, Skuttles, etc, and it does a -lot- of damage, given the fact you can kill a cyberdemon with two of them, and you can potentially carry up to 9 of them.
But you just said that you were gonna shorten the charge shot's reach, so wouldn't that make using it for long-range kinda moot? And the dart's charge shot gets slammed into the ground pretty quickly so that's a no-go either (believe me, I've tried sniping with that, it's pretty much a close-range quadshotty kinda weapon, it get's 0 air after a certain point. ). Lance is a completely random drop, so that's also unreliable. And you need mana to use bola shots, not to mention those also cost 5 mana a shot too. They're also pretty large, so they've got a good chance of clipping into decorations/walls/ground.

I mean, a lot of maps kinda depend on you having ranged weapons. In particular the rocket launcher, that's pretty much one of Doomguy's go-to weapons. It'd be kinda hard to kill icon of sin style boss's without having a ranged explosive. I can't imagine trying to do something like Dark Tartarus without any ranged weaponry.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Cryomundus wrote:
Combine_Kegan wrote:

But you just said that you were gonna shorten the charge shot's reach, so wouldn't that make using it for long-range kinda moot? And the dart's charge shot gets slammed into the ground pretty quickly so that's a no-go either (believe me, I've tried sniping with that, it's pretty much a close-range quadshotty kinda weapon, it get's 0 air after a certain point. ). Lance is a completely random drop, so that's also unreliable. And you need mana to use bola shots, not to mention those also cost 5 mana a shot too. They're also pretty large, so they've got a good chance of clipping into decorations/walls/ground.

I mean, a lot of maps kinda depend on you having ranged weapons. In particular the rocket launcher, that's pretty much one of Doomguy's go-to weapons. It'd be kinda hard to kill icon of sin style boss's without having a ranged explosive. I can't imagine trying to do something like Dark Tartarus without any ranged weaponry.
Charged buster shots don't have -that- limited of a range, relax. You'll see for yourself when I release this version.
Combine_Kegan

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Did you miss me?
Captain J

Re: GMOTA: Fantasy arcade action, NEW UPDATE 5/29/2015 [V0.9

Post by Captain J »

Thou art Back! hast thou any news about updates(not sure they are all correct tho)?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”