[Beta] Contra Doom b06 - Wanted: Player skins

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Beed28

[Beta] Contra Doom b06 - Wanted: Player skins

Post by Beed28 »

Spoiler:
About
Contra Doom aims to replicate the gameplay of Contra, particularly Contra III: The Alien Wars, including the ability to hold two weapons at a time, one hit deaths, and scoring points. While Contra III is best represented here, some elements from other games are taken, such as Super Contra (Arcade), Contra: Hard Corps, and Contra 4.

The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, TNT: Evilution, Plutonia Experiment, and Heretic IWADS are currently supported.

Weapons
Weapons are obtained by picking up eagle shaped tokens with a letter on them. You can hold two weapons at a time. Picking up a weapon you already have equipped will upgrade it.
Spoiler: Description of weapons

Death & respawning
Unlike normal Doom, you can freely respawn when you are killed, as long as Contra Doom is loaded last. However, you will lose whatever weapon you had selected at the time and lose your Rapid Fire upgrades.

In Single Player, you have a limited number of lives, starting at three. If you lose them all, then the Game Over screen will appear. You can earn an extra life upon reaching 20000 points, and then every 60000 points after that. After a Game Over, you can restart the current map you're on from the beginning, but it'll be a fresh start; no weapons, no score, and only one bomb. In Cooperative mode, or if the Infinite Lives CVAR is enabled, you will simply receive a score penalty instead that scales depending on your difficulty level.

The game will try and respawn you where you died, but sometimes you'll respawn back at the level's start (although the level won't reset). This occurs when you've been telefragged, suicided with the "kill" console command, or your respawn point is obstructed by something (best seen with crushing ceilings).

In Heretic, the Wings of Wrath lasts until the end of the level, just like in Hexen. You'll respawn with them if you die after picking one up.

Compatibility with map packs
Contra Doom works with most Doom or Doom II map packs, but Contra Doom should be loaded last or you may not be able to respawn in single player. However, any DeHackEd modifications, particularly monster replacements, may not function properly. See below for a .zip file containing patches that allows proper support with certain map packs. When playing with TNT: Evilution and Plutonia, it is recommended that you load their retrospective patch included with Contra Doom so that you get the proper automap names and text screens. When playing with Heretic, load its retrospective patch so that you get the correct player sprites, palette translations, automap names, and text screens.

Contra Doom also includes an optional music wad that replaces the in game music with select songs from Contra III: The Alien Wars and Contra: Hard Corps. It works with both Doom II and Ultimate Doom. For Heretic, you'll get a variety of tracks taken from the Castlevania series, mostly from Super Castlevania IV, Dracula X, and Bloodlines.

Patches
r02: https://www.sendspace.com/file/6uuh4h
Spoiler: Included patches

Contra Doom specific CVARS
Spoiler:

Todo list
Spoiler:

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:

Downloads
(If the ZDoom version doesn't load, try getting a recent SVN version of ZDoom of GZDoom. Also, load it after any PWADS you might add or you may not be able to respawn in singleplayer)
(Zandronum users: You must use the 3.0 alpha to load Contra Doom)
b06: https://www.sendspace.com/file/mb47kt
Last edited by Beed28 on Tue May 10, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Ribo Zurai

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b01

Post by Ribo Zurai »

This is just awesome!
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

This is perfect! Doom just got 200% faster! Now we just need fitting levels
Is there, by any chance, hope of seeing the Hard Corps weapons? I'd like Browny's bouncy, spinning homing energy whip thingy and Fang's power punches.
Maybe the slide dodge mechanic?

But then again, I can always dream. Maybe it's too much.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Tried it with a enemy-packed Oblige map and it was pretty fun, I like it quite a bit. I've seen other mods trying to do something similar, but I think this one feels just right. Definitely going to keep an eye on this.
My nitpicks:
1) The C weapon seems very underpowered, and it is slower than it should. With that rate of fire it should be more destructive.
2) The lost soul seems too durable for what it is. I think it should have a bit less health. More than a difficulty/balance thing, it's just that it feels off. In a Contra game that kind of small flying enemy tends to die in two hits or less. The rest of the monsters feel mostly OK in terms of health.
3) A limited amount of lives would be nice to have. Also the score penalty for dying seems too low, maybe you should take a much larger amount every death.
4) The invincibility sphere wasn't reskinned to the shield. I guess just changing the pickup and changing the "monochrome-inverted" color for a bluish tint can do the trick. I just mention it since it's not it on the todo list and it fits the theme nicely.

I appreciate the score counter, by the way. I miss score in games. I am so old.
Beed28

Re: [Beta] Contra Doom b02

Post by Beed28 »

New version already. This fixes Crusher Missiles after a last minute change rendered them nearly useless.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler:
Download
b02: https://www.sendspace.com/file/t83ie9

I'll refine the OP whenever I get the time.

EDIT: Added Barrier to Todo list.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Some contra 3 sounds might help this mod along.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Cool man! Good luck with the project.

It would be awesome if you were to create doom style sprites of these guys, with the full rotations, and replace the vanila doom monsters.

With some careful consideration in execution, it would be possible to build off of the original 2D sprites, when creating the rotations. While using the original sprites for the 3 and 7 frames. I had done that for the Jason Vorhees sprites, for my LJN Friday the 13th mod.
VriskaSerket
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by VriskaSerket »

Also, there's no music replacement for Ultimate Doom?
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Konami's Pause sound or its Jingle for DSSECRET or it didn't happen.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

Man, that brief update made the Crusher a whole lot more viable. It's actually rather fun to swarm through enemies with the Spread Gun and the Crusher Missiles, using the spread to take out all the weaklings and a few good crushers to pick off the stronger ones. Then again, a good player with Spread can eviscerate pretty much everything so long as they avoid damage. This really makes for a great way to play Doom again, surprisingly.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Thank you for the comments! Music replacements for Ultimate Doom should be coming soon; I plan on using music from the NES Contra games to different it from the SNES and Mega Drive/Genesis soundtracks used in Doom II, except from Contra Force because you could barely call that a proper Contra game.

I couldn't find any Contra III sounds out there, I'm afraid.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Beed28 wrote:I couldn't find any Contra III sounds out there, I'm afraid.
Contra 3 had a sound test, for what i saw.
Does it count? You could just record it from audacity, that's what i do.

Edit: I found out that the sound test option was only in the japanese version, called, Contra Spirits. and yes, it's a secret code. Right, Right-Down, Right and X to access it.
Last edited by YukesVonFaust on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

This is what Action Doom was supposed to be.
Big C

Post by Big C »

This is so simple, yet so, so entertaining.

Any possibility of making the Konami Code usable in this mod? :P
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

I don't have any plans for the Konami code at this point... but it's referenced in one of the quit messages. ;)

So yeah, it's a blast being able to play through your favourite megawads in a new way. But of course, there are a few that may present compatibility problems with Contra Doom, the main issue being custom DeHackEd monsters. Contra Doom doesn't touch Commander Keen, which is one of two popular things to be replaced, but it does edit the Wolfenstein SS, the other popular candidate, resulting in cases where a replaced monster acts exactly like Contra Doom's edited Wolfenstein SS or a Commander Keen replacement nailing the player with a possible hitscan attack. This is where patches are going to come in, which converts these monsters to DECORATE while bringing them in line with the other edited monsters of Contra Doom so they have the usual old-school "explode into nothing" death and give out score.

Incomplete list of which wads need patches to work properly; note that there's currently no plans for covering total conversions at this point:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure if I need permission to do these first...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”