[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

Post by Ed the Bat »

PlasmaRifle and BFG9000 replacers work exactly the same as the rest of the arsenal. I'm afraid I cannot imagine why these two would work differently than the rest, for you.

As an aside, I notice Project MSX is guilty of the same terribly outdated code that KDIZD was, before I came along...
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

That's a possible reason why they aren't replaced...

I'll see what happens if I change the load order...

EDIT 11/16/14: I changed the load order, and NOW it works perfectly (ALMOST)! All the weapons/ammo are properly replaced with Project MSX's weapons/ammo!

Here is my current load order for Project MSX: Knee-Deep In ZDoom --

kdizd_12fix.pk3
projectmsx_v0.2a.pk3
Doom Hi-Res Texture Pack.pk3*
pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad
BrutalDoomJetBlackAngstSoundtrackVol. 1.wad

*Name changed from original.

My previous load order had Project MSX on the top, with the fixed KDIZD right below it (and no music wad... unimportant, though). This also changed behavior in some of the Maulers which made them act somewhat strange, but now, they all act the same. The ONLY problem now (which was also present in my other load order) is that keys don't properly show up in the vizor's HUD (not even the red, blue, or yellow keys). But, other than that, it works just fine. :D
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoodlook

Post by Hoodlook »

So.....is there a download link? Sorry but this topic is extremely long and it will be extremely tedious to search through all the links.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Ed the Bat wrote:You're welcome. I originally did it for myself, but I was seeing that other people here were facing the same problem that I did. I've had to make custom revisions of so, so many projects* just to remove setslot and clearplayerclasses, since there's nothing that can override them. They've been deprecated, with good reason, since February 19th, 2009, and September 19th, 2010, respectively, so not only are they harmful to compatibility, they're grossly outdated, and using them is terribly sloppy if nothing else. Projects that came out before those dates (such as the original release of KDIZD) have an excuse, since there were no alternatives back then, but anything newer should be ashamed. I found it highly embarrassing when KDIZD 1.2 came out to fix the parser bug, but continued to use these commands.

*I've never released the vast majority of them to the public, because I figured I should procure approval/permissions of some kind first, and my crippling social anxiety has stopped me from moving forward with that.
You should make a thread for the ones you have gotten permission for, it'd be great to have a place to get up to date versions of things.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

I have so few that I've actually shown to their original authors for approval right now, so... maybe once I have some more checked off, I'll do that. If anyone sees any on my master list that they would like to see officially approved, I suppose they're free to ask the authors on my behalf, since I know myself well enough to say I'm not likely to be working up the nerve on my own in a timely manner. :(
Average

Post by Average »

Ed the Bat wrote:Aw, I really appreciate that! :D

I've probably made revised personal copies of close to 200 mods by now, to varying degrees (some of them just remove a couple of problem bits, like my KDIZD revision, while others completely rewrite things from the ground up). I keep copies of them on my webspace along with a downloads page, mainly to help myself organize a little. Once I make sure it's up to date, I could put a link to it in my forum profile, assuming I'm not overstepping too many boundaries with that. I'm also open to requests if there are mods out there that I've missed that need similar cleanup.
You're welcome. In all honesty, if it wasn't for your Lizard Squad build I probably wouldn't play with it anymore...

That's some list you've got there. I'll have to put aside some time to have a proper look through them all!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Hoodlook

Post by Hoodlook »

Thanks, by looking at the images on the page this looks amazing.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Alrighty... I just finished KDIZD a second time through with my new load order (lol, say it out loud, and it sounds a lot like "new world order" D: ) involving Project MSX.

After playing through most of Phobos Anomaly, I came to the final boss. Now, for those of you who wish to play KDIZD with Project MSX, pay close attention to what I have to say:

- The Orion EMSR Mark V Sniper Gauss Cannon (BFG-9000 replacer, occupies slot 8) and the Chimaera DM-REW9 Concussion Pulse Rifle (Plasma Gun replacer, occupies slot 7) do not deal ANY damage to the final boss. For whatever reason. It may have something to do with the fact that those weapons aren't really supposed to exist due to the fact that the BFG-9000 is supposed to be replaced with a rifle and the Plasma Gun with a grenade launcher, but I don't know for sure. Anyway... your best option (and when I say "best option", I mean your only rationally obvious option) is to use the Taurus SA22M5 Personal Autocannon (Rocket Launcher replacer, occupies slot 6). That thing will chew whole CHUNKS out of the guy's health, reducing him to zero after about 30 or fewer seconds of continuously firing at him with the Autocannon. Charged grenades also work, though I wouldn't fully depend on them.

- The remaining weapons do indeed work on the final boss, but they won't take out as much health (well, maybe the Raptor I4PA-ECS Nailshotgun could [Super-Shotgun replacer, occupies slot 5], but you'd want to keep your distance with that monster, and using the power suit's Power Jump, you can jump onto the elevated ledge to get him from afar, but then the Nailshotgun wouldn't be so effective). Besides, the Autocannon is a rapid-firing weapon that carries 30 rounds per drum. All I'm saying is... it's just a no-brainer to use the Autocannon against the final boss. I would suggest to use the Sniper Gauss Cannon or the Pulse Rifle, but for whatever reason, they don't work, so the Autocannon is your best bet.

- Using my new load order (listed in a previous comment), the credits map will not display, for whatever reason (the console will take up the screen, and at the very bottom, it will say that it can't load the credits map (because it appears to be nonexistent in my new load order). If you want to see it, have Project MSX and KDIZD switch places in the load order (so that Project MSX is on top and KDIZD is right below it), hit the console, and then type changemap credits into the console (of course you're going to press ENTER once it's typed in, right? lol).

- I fought against those ghostly spectre-like Nightmares in Eriance's "Demon Eclipse" mod, and they could be destroyed by weapons. I don't know if it's a KDIZD balance change, or if it's another bug caused by Project MSX or KDIZD on account of Project MSX, but nothing ranged will work on Nightmares in KDIZD, not even splash damage (so, no grenades). The only things that work against them are melee strikes with whatever weapon you're currently holding, your fists, or a direct contact Power Punch.

Alright, that's all for now. Other than those problems listed above, gameplay through KDIZD with Project MSX is stunningly beautiful!
Hoodlook

Post by Hoodlook »

Anybody know how to get KDIZD to work with Hideous Destructor?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Try loading hd.pk7 after KDIZD? If it generates any errors, you may need to modify some code.
doom_is_great

Post by doom_is_great »

Just played through this wad with ZDoom and this is seriously one of the best wads I've ever played. Combined with the DOOMambiance pack that replaces all the music with pure ambiance, it was seriously one of the creepiest wads ever. I actually felt like I was on a moon base possessed by hell. Is there a similar wad being made for the Shores of Hell episode?
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

doom_is_great wrote:Is there a similar wad being made for the Shores of Hell episode?
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29927

But is being developed very slow
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Right now it may well be considered dead, there hasn't been any activity for a looooong time...
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

actually vader uploaded a new shot, and stated its not dead about a month ago
It does exist.

Return to “Levels”