[Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.9 desu~

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.8 OSHITOSHI

Post by Captain J »

and that's how why alteisen named that gauntlet like that, i presume. those kind of naming senses are pretty beats me.
TerminusEst13

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.82 OSHITOSH

Post by TerminusEst13 »

OKAY SO THAT WAS AN ADVENTURE AND A HALF.

So Zandronum 2.0 came out, right? And I thought updating DS to it would be easy, just adjust for the inclusion of cvarinfo and bam everything's good.
NOPE turns out there was a whole ton of shit to re-do under the hood in order to make sure everything stayed streamlined and didn't break in the face of the new ZDoom features.

Thankfully, (mostly) everything's good now! So, slight update, 0.8 has been turned into 0.82, and there's been a whole slew of netplay-related changes.
Now, if you're not into netplay, then most of these features are probably going to be completely irrelevant to you. And that's fine! It's only been, like, a week since 0.8's release and asking to re-download 50 megs for a source port you don't play is kind of dumb.
But if you DO play on Zandronum and DO play on netplay, then you're definitely going to want to upgrade to this build.

http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/download?file= ... -v0.82.pk3
http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/download?file= ... i-v3.2.pk3

Image OR ESLE Image
Spoiler: CHANGELOG
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

I want to enjoy this but I'm beyond terrible at it and struggle even on Episode 1 wads. Is there like some training course map to learn how to play this properly?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Don't feel bad about lowering the difficulty, if you need a little more health.
Likewise, MAPTEST is available for you to practice as you wish the basics explained in the how to play image.

Dodge often, conserve souls and don't spam special attacks, recognize enemy cues, and in short time you'll be tearing enemies limb from limb.
Alteisen

Post by Alteisen »

Shit, we already have skeletons. Now DEMON SKELETONS?! Fuck, run for your lives!!!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I thought Revenants were these supposed "demon" skeletons... I mean, really... who has a skeleton as big as that Revenant?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Woolie Wool wrote:I want to enjoy this but I'm beyond terrible at it and struggle even on Episode 1 wads. Is there like some training course map to learn how to play this properly?
This may not be obvious, but every difficulty is UV spawns. The only difference between difficulties is how much health you have. And score multipliers, but the bit about health is more important.

So yeah, if you're having difficulty, go ahead and choose the easiest difficulty so you have the most health. It'll still be Ultra Violence regardless.
SigFloyd

Post by SigFloyd »

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I saw Demonsteele mentioned in PC Gamer. I was browsing magazines at a bookstore when I saw a screenshot and blurb about it. I thought it was pretty neat.
Laggy

Post by Laggy »

The "Placeholder" skin doesn't seem to work. :|
Oh well, the other secret skin is cool, too. :D
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

TerminusEst13 wrote:- Snuck in a scary demon skeleton that OH NO HE FOUND US OH NOOOOO
moar skeletons.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Captain J wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:- Snuck in a scary demon skeleton that OH NO HE FOUND US OH NOOOOO
moar skeletons.
Good thing he's slow. Otherwise I'd be spooked.
EEEEEEEEE!
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

I gave this a go, thinking I would like it. I didn't.

I didn't like the sounds, since they all existed within the same general range they all sounded very similar and so fights would just become a wall of mushy noise. Not to mention, now all Doom monsters sound relatively the same because every one has the same gurgley hissy sounds. Except Archvile, he's hilarious,

I also didn't like the feel of the weapons, they just didn't feel... right. There's basically zero thought to combat, and fights consist of just kind of running up to monsters and mashing the mouse. It's also weird to slam monsters with a giant hammer, only for them to slide maybe a foot. Guns are worthless when everything blends.

I dunno, I guess it's just not my thing.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Jaxxoon R wrote:I didn't like the sounds, since they all existed within the same general range they all sounded very similar and so fights would just become a wall of mushy noise. Not to mention, now all Doom monsters sound relatively the same because every one has the same gurgley hissy sounds. Except Archvile, he's hilarious,
To be fair, the majority of vanilla Doom monsters have the same exact idle and pain noises.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Jaxxoon R wrote:I also didn't like the feel of the weapons, they just didn't feel... right. There's basically zero thought to combat, and fights consist of just kind of running up to monsters and mashing the mouse. It's also weird to slam monsters with a giant hammer, only for them to slide maybe a foot. Guns are worthless when everything blends.
well, guns are DOES useful when some enemies are at the far. far away or cannot reach to smash 'n slash or too much stronger or many to handle them with the only sword.

and about melee combat, that's what every kind of games does. and i'm still have no problems that against me.

otherwise, least we have our own different tastes. i can understand you.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Ethril wrote:To be fair, the majority of vanilla Doom monsters have the same exact idle and pain noises.
Except those sounds are the least important, well, at least pain sounds are.

As it stands, all monsters added in Doom 2 had unique sounds for idling (sans the recolor that is hell knight and chaingunner). But really, that's not what I mean. What I mean is, most monsters sound similar all around. In the original game you could walk into a room and hear "UWAAAH" "AAAAA" and "MMMH-WRAGH" and know you're dealing with a baron, a revenant, and a mancubus without even looking at them. Now you walk into a room and it's just "HSSSGRMBRGRLGMR" from almost everything, and it's kind of an unnecessary change anyways. They still look exactly the same as they always did, why change how they sound--- and to make them so generic, no less?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”