Wall portals

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Wall portals

Post by StrikerMan780 »

I'm wondering the same. Been a few months with no word, I hope this doesn't go the way of the dodo, as this has amazing potential.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Aw man why you bump I hoped for an update :/
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hope this doesn't suffer the same fate as AFADoomer's automap branch... :/
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

HI

Got myself pointed to this thread on Zandronum IRC.

Basically I'm coding the new version on occasion and only once I get (random) insights on how to do stuff the good way so it won't randomly bug out, unlike the /portals branch which had pretty much proof-of-concept code just so I could experiment (and also see it on my screen that "it actually works!")
Sorry for people that expected this to be in the next ZDoom release and/or expected that /portals branch is "the almost complete" version :\

Sadly nothing new happened in few months.. but anyway I'll probably finish the Z-difference physics enabled portals in the /portals2 branch soon, most likely featuring large changes to mapthing collision C struct... which is what I was trying to avoid in /portals btw, instead trying to calculate the necessary info with recursive physics calls. Which at the end resulted in odd behavior shit while touching simultaneously "real" and "portal" objects, as well as things in two different portals. Just an example of why /portals branch is bad even though its "almost complete".

Also one thing I definitely need to have an insight about is stuff sticking out of a portal, and collisions with such things, I don't think the blockmap would allow me to specify that "thing X comes from portal Y and thus has coordinates Z instead of thing->x/y/z" while linking it there multiple times. The way it works right now, is doing the reverse check — checking if the collided thing is coming from a portal, if it's too far away, but was encountered in the blockmap.
But that's unreliable for setups like: two close portals looking at each other, different heights, and a cacodemon sticking out of the upper portal into the lower one. The cacodemon would have x-y collision both in the portal and the real plane... oh and the hitscan tracers aren't working properly there too. For the same reason.

The current idea is ditching the physics voodoo and spawn a ghost invisible thing of the same dimensions through the portal that would transfer damage to the original... and possibly do some AI... and prevent the master from going anywhere if it gets stuck, too.

Also wat does this automap branch do?
Gez

Post by Gez »

AFADoomer worked on something that'd make the automap a widget that can be placed in the status bar.
Nash

Post by Nash »

ZZYZX wrote: Also wat does this automap branch do?
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... map+branch

Good to hear from you BTW! Best of luck with your endeavors.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Gez wrote:AFADoomer worked on something that'd make the automap a widget that can be placed in the status bar.
I badly hacked it into the code at the time. I just don't have time to re-do it properly now... Don't even have a dev machine set up. I really don't think it would be difficult - the existing automap code is already set up to take 'window' coordinates, that just needs to be externalized to a proper function that can pass dynamic sizes, and then be set up to work cleanly via ACS.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

AFADoomer wrote:[...] and then be set up to work cleanly via ACS.
Wouldn't it be better as an SBarInfo feature?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Probably better in SBarInfo, yes. I originally intended to set it up to be able to be used like an on-screen scanner that could be turned on and off, hence ACS...

Either way, we're threadjacking :-).
boris

Post by boris »

Saw this being mentioned on DW. Just wanted to say that it looks amazing, keep up the great work!
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Indeed. It would be a beyond glorious feature if it were to make it into the main codebase.
Kizoky
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Kizoky »

Wow, keep up the good work!

.. I can already see that Terry-trolls will use this, a lot.
Gez

Post by Gez »

KiLerZolika wrote:.. I can already see that Terry-trolls will use this, a lot.
Thanks, now I'm less sad about this not having had any progress at all since December last year.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Hey, commits!
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

And a video!

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”