[Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.9 desu~

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby mumblemumble » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:42 pm

I can't express how good those sprites look. (especially compared to the place holder). Will she have separate sprites for all weapons?

Also testament sometimes makes baron fly away since his dodge reaction stacks from a shotgun blast. This is a bitch since he can fly across a level

EDIT: Archviles dramatic bleeding like a fountain death can be grinded upon for style points, hit until the end of the (very lengthy) death animation. Not quite enough to get slayer, but enough to get behemoth from no points. Intentional?

Not sure if fixable, but the drone of the devil driver that prevents hae lin from getting up close and slashing, ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS the iron maiden shield. The multiple fast explosions mean it can drain it all in a little over a second it seems. Might be intentional but god damn

Not a glitch but you made the blackened revive guys like the arch vile too? fuck you =l
mumblemumble
King of typos
 
Joined: 23 Aug 2013

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby Captain J » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:22 am

mumblemumble wrote:Not a glitch but you made the blackened revive guys like the arch vile too? fuck you =l
hey there now, least we have many ways to exorcise them. explosive way, or physical way.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby mumblemumble » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:14 am

I know cj. Thing is term really ramped difficulty up on many monsters and while offensive capabilities are higher, defensive is not as far as i see (also almost all new attacks require soul, which is mainly gained via sword kills, requiring careful defense to be up that close and not get zapped ) . This is why im a bit bothered by things like doubled sergeant fire speed, double imp attacks, doubled mancubus shots, and something like triple baron attacks. Yes hae lin can kill shit more effectively but her few means of defending weren't boosted any as far as i noticed (slashing shots, and dodging are exactly the same, sheath was made slightly faster but it would be best as instant (was, but had delay re-added? Or am i just tripping? ))

I CAN see BOSSES having insane attack patterns but it sort of feels like legitimate play on higher difficulties simply can't happen now, since some situations you simply cannot avoid damage. Barons, and in certain situations the new mancubus 4 shot spread is notoriously bad about this (but sergeants and imps have moments.)

MAYBE im just a giant wuss but some things just feel off, like sergeant being about an equal threat to chain gunner (same fire speed but sergeant stops after a pretty hefty 5 lasers. Funny since sergeant is supposed to be a joke but is actually pretty dangerous now ) and barons filling screens up with a 3 x 4(i think) shot volley as an alt. Add in mancubi who wall off areas entirely with 4 x 4 shot volleys with projectiles as fat as they are, and some situations its downright impossible to dodge, when before it was merely tricky.

Honestly can't tell if im a terribadumb demonsteele player and whining too much, if im missing a huge defensive strategy, or if the update will just flat out make demonsteele harder. (but im guessing the last one)
mumblemumble
King of typos
 
Joined: 23 Aug 2013

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby Arctangent » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:44 am

mumblemumble wrote:Funny since sergeant is supposed to be a joke but is actually pretty dangerous now

... huh.

I find those guys far easier to deal with in Demonsteele than in vanilla Doom. In fact, they're one of the most dangerous enemies for me in vanilla. :|
User avatar
Arctangent
squawky
 
Joined: 06 Nov 2014
Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby iSpook » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:16 am

mumblemumble wrote:I know cj. Thing is term really ramped difficulty up on many monsters and while offensive capabilities are higher, defensive is not as far as i see (also almost all new attacks require soul, which is mainly gained via sword kills, requiring careful defense to be up that close and not get zapped ) . This is why im a bit bothered by things like doubled sergeant fire speed, double imp attacks, doubled mancubus shots, and something like triple baron attacks. Yes hae lin can kill shit more effectively but her few means of defending weren't boosted any as far as i noticed (slashing shots, and dodging are exactly the same, sheath was made slightly faster but it would be best as instant (was, but had delay re-added? Or am i just tripping? ))

I CAN see BOSSES having insane attack patterns but it sort of feels like legitimate play on higher difficulties simply can't happen now, since some situations you simply cannot avoid damage. Barons, and in certain situations the new mancubus 4 shot spread is notoriously bad about this (but sergeants and imps have moments.)

MAYBE im just a giant wuss but some things just feel off, like sergeant being about an equal threat to chain gunner (same fire speed but sergeant stops after a pretty hefty 5 lasers. Funny since sergeant is supposed to be a joke but is actually pretty dangerous now ) and barons filling screens up with a 3 x 4(i think) shot volley as an alt. Add in mancubi who wall off areas entirely with 4 x 4 shot volleys with projectiles as fat as they are, and some situations its downright impossible to dodge, when before it was merely tricky.

Honestly can't tell if im a terribadumb demonsteele player and whining too much, if im missing a huge defensive strategy, or if the update will just flat out make demonsteele harder. (but im guessing the last one)


The best defensive strategy for all these buffed monsters is:
Spoiler:

But in all seriousness, the changes to difficulty depend on what difficulty level you play on (as far as I can remember.
User avatar
iSpook
What is this, I don't even.
 
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Location: In the middle of Stephen King Territory

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:01 am

do not worry friend, uit is essey to win at this metal demon mod
first of, you should use your sword on the demons
step 2: don'ts forget to shot with the guns

you can kill most of the monsters by killing them :)
User avatar
Sgt. Shivers
 
Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby Captain J » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:00 am

and we have our own strategies and tastes, though. so i would advice you to get used to it, that's what we are doing.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby HexaDoken » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:37 am

mumblemumble wrote:if im missing a huge defensive strategy

Run into monsters while screaming.

Yes, that is a defensive strategy. It works because of mercy invincibility. Yes, there are more shots all around, but remember that once you get hit there is a fairly long amount of time where you are guaranteed to not get hit at all. In other words, 2000 projectiles in your face at once is absolutely identical to 1 projectile in your face. Which is why, to compensate, there are more projectiles and they are harder to dodge.

Sometimes, it is indeed impossible to dodge. In these cases, you do your strategy a 180 and stop dodging, letting your invul carry you through.

The mod does seem to just become simply harder with time, but DemonSteele is already stupidly easy on anything non-slaughterfest.

EDIT: i cant see exact times on github, but term, did you just buff the blackened a bit again right after we started complaining about it

because based on the timing, it sure looks like exactly that
HexaDoken
 
Joined: 01 Dec 2011

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby TerminusEst13 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:02 am

Captain J wrote:FINALLY, she's going to have her own sprite now! anyway is this made by 3d model?

mumblemumble wrote:I can't express how good those sprites look. (especially compared to the place holder). Will she have separate sprites for all weapons?

Thank you. Yeah, they're taken from a 3D model, custom made by Gundere. They still need a little bit of touch and polish to get rid of the obvious "made from a 3D model" aspect, but I'm really quite fond of them.
Unfortunately, no, she won't have separate sprites for all weapons. Like how Doomguy constantly carries that rifle, Hae-Lin's sprites will always be swingin' the Acacia and Kharon.

mumblemumble wrote:Also testament sometimes makes baron fly away since his dodge reaction stacks from a shotgun blast. This is a bitch since he can fly across a level

This is a bit of a complicated matter, I'm not sure if I can take care of this easily. I'll try, though.

mumblemumble wrote:EDIT: Archviles dramatic bleeding like a fountain death can be grinded upon for style points, hit until the end of the (very lengthy) death animation. Not quite enough to get slayer, but enough to get behemoth from no points. Intentional?

Fixed.

mumblemumble wrote:Not sure if fixable, but the drone of the devil driver that prevents hae lin from getting up close and slashing, ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS the iron maiden shield. The multiple fast explosions mean it can drain it all in a little over a second it seems. Might be intentional but god damn

Iron Maiden now has 0.5 resistance to DD attacks instead of 0.75.

mumblemumble wrote:Thing is term really ramped difficulty up on many monsters and while offensive capabilities are higher, defensive is not as far as i see (also almost all new attacks require soul, which is mainly gained via sword kills, requiring careful defense to be up that close and not get zapped ) . [...] Honestly can't tell if im a terribadumb demonsteele player and whining too much, if im missing a huge defensive strategy, or if the update will just flat out make demonsteele harder. (but im guessing the last one)

Actually, Hae-Lin got a MASSIVE defensive boost by fixing a bug that took multiple tokens on single hit. Now she'll only get one token removed from everything. If anything, I need to ramp up the difficulty even further to accommodate this, because now Mancs, the DevilDriver, and the Emperor's big risk got removed.
...that'll be for later versions down the line, though.
For now, though, yes, it is still possible to do runs through mods on higher difficulties. I've been running everything on Facing Hell/Killing Machine, and there's always been an out. Either the dodging, or the sheathe, or Exodus' repulsion, or the projectile blocking of the back special (this is GREAT for clearing out a path!), but there's always an out.

HexaDoken wrote:EDIT: i cant see exact times on github, but term, did you just buff the blackened a bit again right after we started complaining about it
because based on the timing, it sure looks like exactly that

Tee hee.
User avatar
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.
 
Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Postby Captain J » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:58 am

oh well, if we should follow the original way what doom did, i have no words about separate sprites for all weapons. but i hope her sprites can be shaded excellently.
User avatar
Captain J
'OH YE'
 
 
 
Joined: 02 Oct 2012
Location: Secret Chamber
Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.8 O SHIT O

Postby TerminusEst13 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:58 pm



This is actually a little early, but a friend's having a birthday today--so in honor of his birthday, I'm releasing today. Happy birthday, Pres!
There's still a few things that aren't polished and still need a few touches, but this upate has been too long in the making. There's been a whole ton of new features added, polish done, and more. Please enjoy.

http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/download?file= ... e-v0.8.pk3
http://www.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/download?file= ... idi-v3.pk3

Spoiler: DemonSteele changelog


Spoiler: Metal jukebox changelog
User avatar
TerminusEst13
I'm just a guy.
 
Joined: 09 Nov 2009
Twitch ID: TerminusEst13

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.8 O SHIT O

Postby Valherran » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:04 am

Nice, DL now!
User avatar
Valherran
 
Joined: 27 Oct 2009

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.8 O SHIT O

Postby Big C » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:10 am

TIME TO HENSHIN-A-GO-GO SOME SHIT.
User avatar
Big C
 
Joined: 19 Oct 2010

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.8 O SHIT O

Postby Sgt. Shivers » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:57 am

Image
Guess I can post this. :D
User avatar
Sgt. Shivers
 
Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Discord: Sgt. Shivers #4769

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.8 O SHIT O

Postby HexaDoken » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 am

Oh, hey.

I present thee, made in around 40 minutes.

This patch is only relevant if you play with doomhealth. It does not do anything if you do not turn doomhealth on. It may actually break something if you do not turn doomhealth on, because I haven't tested it. Avoid using this without turning doomhealth on.

As promised sometime before, this is a patch that reskins all doomhealth items to their DemonSteele equialents. It also makes them give you points on pickup.

On top of that, there are two minor actual gameplay changes here.
1) Health Bonuses are once again removed - they felt a bit off in DSteele. They are now once more replaced with random soul shards.
2) Fortune Cookie now gives 50 overlife, up from DSteele's 25. This is because a number of reasons, some of which are the fact that torches already drop medkits that give 25, so why not have rarer cookies give more, plus this may help counteract the inexistance of health bonuses, yada yada.
The main reason though is SHADOW WARRIOR

Have fun.
HexaDoken
 
Joined: 01 Dec 2011

PreviousNext

Return to Gameplay Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pompous Seed, PresBarackbar and 14 guests