[Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.9 desu~

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DoomKrakken

Re: [Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.74 NEAT STU

Post by DoomKrakken »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Yes, the Exodus is very much a heavenly weapon, summoning a flaming version of the Petrine cross.
Ah. Ok. I was wondering whether it was that or an inverted crucifix.

Thanks for the tip!

Ok, so now, where do I download this new version?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Wouldn't it be cool if there was another person who went along with Jung Hae-Lin, who was available as another player class, and could wield two of every weapon that Jung Hae-Lin had (except for the Kharon, cuz that's restricted to Jung Hae-Lin, and the Iron Savior armor, as it's impossible to dual-wield armor). He'd still have access to the Iron Savior, but maybe he can have a couple things he does differently from Jung Hae-Lin.

It'd be almost like Kamen Rider, with the Primary Rider (Jung Hae-Lin) and the Secondary Rider (the proposed new guy).
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Well in the beginning this was focus on melee and now into guns? lol ;) trying to get a balance for what i see :) hope the guns let you get souls too no much as with melee but will be something good
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

Frosthammer special attack on latest beta does not appear to actually do anything?

Suggestion: pistol special should leave behind a trail of cleansing flame because that would look bloody awesome.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

HexaDoken wrote:Frosthammer special attack on latest beta does not appear to actually do anything?

Suggestion: pistol special should leave behind a trail of cleansing flame because that would look bloody awesome.
That's hellfire for you, bro... :D
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

DoomKrakken wrote:Ok, so now, where do I download this new version?
Unless you want to get it now and download the version off Github, the release version is coming out extremely soon. I've sent it over to a few testers, and barring a few changes (player sprites, minor tweaks) if nothing major pops up, it'll be the release version. :D
DoomKrakken wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if there was another person who went along with Jung Hae-Lin, who was available as another player class, and could wield two of every weapon that Jung Hae-Lin had (except for the Kharon, cuz that's restricted to Jung Hae-Lin, and the Iron Savior armor, as it's impossible to dual-wield armor). He'd still have access to the Iron Savior, but maybe he can have a couple things he does differently from Jung Hae-Lin.
It'd be almost like Kamen Rider, with the Primary Rider (Jung Hae-Lin) and the Secondary Rider (the proposed new guy).
Could be interesting. If this came with a typical anime-style rival character, I'd rather not half-ass it and probably would give him/her a completely different arsenal and fighting style--probably a different kind of power source as opposed to Hae-Lin's divine origin. Maybe technological, or psionic, or from nature?
And at that point, it'd probably be another gameplay mod on its own, haha.
Mav3rick wrote:Well in the beginning this was focus on melee and now into guns? lol ;) trying to get a balance for what i see :) hope the guns let you get souls too no much as with melee but will be something good
The focus was and always will be on melee. The guns shouldn't be left behind in the dust, though, so they're getting a few tweaks and tricks as well.
HexaDoken wrote:Frosthammer special attack on latest beta does not appear to actually do anything?
That's strange. I just fired it into a room and it went to work perfectly fine, tested on both Zandro and GZDoom.
And sure, I'll put some burning fire in.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Could be interesting. If this came with a typical anime-style rival character, I'd rather not half-ass it and probably would give him/her a completely different arsenal and fighting style--probably a different kind of power source as opposed to Hae-Lin's divine origin. Maybe technological, or psionic, or from nature?
Considering the fact that each of the weapons are one-handed, it'd be cool to see someone use two of them at the same time. I mean, seriously! Dual-wielding handheld 'nade launchers?! SO EPIC! Dual-wielding Arrogant Weapons? (le gasp!) Dual wielding lever-action double barrelled shotguns? A phenomenon that had only been experienced in Doom II Xtreme Edition, and somewhat reflected in Russian Overkill, with the dual-wielding triple-barreled Leviathan shotguns. Dual-wielding pistols/SMGs? Badass before, badass still!

Oh, one more thing... to compensate for having two guns and no sword, he'd carry twice the ammo.

OOH! ONE MORE THING! He could be Japanese, and when transforming into his armor, he can shout, "HENSHIN!" (super Kamen Rider fan...)

If this did become a separate gameplay mod, it'd be cool to have it be compatible with DemonSteele. :D
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TerminusEst13 wrote:Could be interesting. If this came with a typical anime-style rival character, I'd rather not half-ass it and probably would give him/her a completely different arsenal and fighting style--probably a different kind of power source as opposed to Hae-Lin's divine origin. Maybe technological, or psionic, or from nature?
Brainstorming time (let me know if you want me to stop):

Our rival character has similar but opposing origins to Hae-Lin's. Where Hae-Lin met an Archangel and obtained an evil weapon, this rival was in the process of forming an Infernal Contract when her contractor died. With the contract only half-fulfilled, her own transition into demonhood stopped midway, leaving her in a sort of "demifiend" form, or Hitoshura. While this does grant her a few of the perks of demonhood (basically the same sorts of mobility bonuses Hae-Lin gets), she is still very much mortal, and due to the nature of her contract, she will be forced into limbo should anything happen to her physical form.

Her main weapon, on the other hand, is angelic in origin, the war mace Sharur. As a bashing weapon, its purpose is not to seamlessly slash through hordes of enemies, but rather to knock them down and away. It is heavier, and less capable of the quick comboing that the Kharon can do, but it is capable of combos through hitting enemies into each other to deal damage, or causing general chaos by striking the ground for a massive radial thrust called Banish. The only problem is, since its new wielder is half-demon herself, Sharur's most powerful attacks come at a cost of health. Banish in particular is intended to purge the immediate area of sinful objects and beings, and since our new character is not free of sin, Banish essentially attempts to pull her apart when she uses it.

As for the rest of the arsenal: our antihero's weaponry is not exactly capable of dual-wielding in the traditional sense. Sharur being a two-handed mace does complicate matters considerably, but the head of the mace conceals a capability to combine it with a handful of add-on weapons, enabling the mace to fire everything from pistol bullets to holy-water bombs and white-hot arrows of purging light. Needless to say, the holy weaponry is just as dangerous to our half-demon as it is to the full-blood demons she's up against.

...And somehow I can't come up with a decent name for her. =P
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Would be interesting to see someone use a buckler as a melee weapon, maybe like a kite shield bucker which boosts defense abilities (block x amount of shots before a shield break, or put all effort into shield for full one side blocking) in exchange for being much slower. Could also use kite shield tip like a massive dagger, but i have no idea how this would balance well. (if at all) but i picture maybe a warrior of Valhalla, older, not "up to date" on what all the young warriors use, but still has arms like crossbows (maybe a crank automatic crossbow like berserker comic), a full chain flail doing more damage at higher range with more ammo(chain links which shatter on use) , but faster as it wears down (perhaps with option to add or remove chain peices, and gathering chain links as ammo) chakrams that explode into holy shrapnel, and as a bfg perhaps a horse mount which lets him trample enemies under him, deal damage based off velocity, and of course have a significant speed buff... Unsure if this could be balanced though.

Btw term, why can i shotgun jump higher than rocket jump? Not the end if the world but seems odd.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

wildweasel wrote:...And somehow I can't come up with a decent name for her. =P
talking about the name, since hae-lin is korean. so what kind of race she would be first so we could name her easily? japanese? or chinese?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

mumblemumble wrote:Btw term, why can i shotgun jump higher than rocket jump? Not the end if the world but seems odd.
You can jump with the Testament?!
Big C

Post by Big C »

Captain J wrote:
wildweasel wrote:...And somehow I can't come up with a decent name for her. =P
talking about the name, since hae-lin is korean. so what kind of race she would be first so we could name her easily? japanese? or chinese?
Indonesian. :rock:
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

TerminusEst13 wrote: That's strange. I just fired it into a room and it went to work perfectly fine, tested on both Zandro and GZDoom.
And sure, I'll put some burning fire in.
Weird. Works now. Huh.

What's it's role anyway, huge power at cost of not being immediate damage?

As for fire, I was thinking more in line of a trail of fire left by the bullet mid-flight, i.e. firing one would generate a line of fire midair between you and your target. This would make it look much more awesome, right now the holy bullet is probably most visually unimpressive special in the game.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

wildweasel wrote:Brainstorming time (let me know if you want me to stop):
This is a rad as hell idea, honestly. I guess her overlord was an infernal majesty. :D
A lot of people have told me just how fun smashing things up with the Omen and the Iron Maiden really is, so if there was a second character I guess it'd be appropriate to focus more on a blunt melee weapon of some kind. Loading up a weapon into the mace itself would require a hell of a lot of unique assets, but would easily be the most stylish and over-the-top method to dual-wield something in a long time.
I think this has a lot of potential and definitely could be an interesting character design. As for what the character would be named...well...my knee-jerk reaction would be Yoshiko, but I'll leave the final details up to you. :p
mumblemumble wrote:Would be interesting to see someone use a buckler as a melee weapon
This could also be an interesting idea. It'd lend itself very well to a defensive playstyle, which would be nice for all the people who have trouble dodging all around constantly and parrying down shots. Plus, old-fashioned norse-style vikings and honorabru warriors are everywhere in metal.
mumblemumble wrote:Btw term, why can i shotgun jump higher than rocket jump? Not the end if the world but seems odd.
Shouldn't be able to. The Testament's jumping "damage" is only 112, while the Exodus' jumping "damage" is about 160. If you're getting higher with Testament (outside of the special), then that's a glitch.
HexaDoken wrote:Weird. Works now. Huh.
What's it's role anyway, huge power at cost of not being immediate damage?
As for fire, I was thinking more in line of a trail of fire left by the bullet mid-flight, i.e. firing one would generate a line of fire midair between you and your target. This would make it look much more awesome, right now the holy bullet is probably most visually unimpressive special in the game.
The clouds have a mind of their own and hunt enemies down--if there's enemies in close range, they'll cover you as you pick enemies off from a distance. If there's only enemies at a distance, they'll home in and won't miss. I suppose the closest role would be "backup"? Either way, you can blame Shivers--he insisted on a damaging cloud for the special attack, haha.
And all right, that might be cool. I'll have to do that come Zandro 2.0, though, when FastProjectile missiletypes can leave trails.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Glad to see you are entertaining the idea of a viking warrior for it. That would be pretty damn rad. Would LOVE being able to be a little tanky with a shield, and have a "defense is offense" style. maybe skills based on carefully absorbing and redirecting fire. (perhaps a special attack being "heating" the sheild with shots, then using the heat as a special attack. idk)

Hate to break it to you but you are wrong about the shotgun and grenade launcher jump heights. I don't know about the number you put, but the EFFECT still is that the shotgun makes you rocket jump higher. I JUST tested this with the CURRENT pk3 on github, I can go maybe 30% higher with the shotgun. Again its not a huge deal, but its there. I recommend you test it out on a map with high ceilings like map15 of doom 2 and see for yourself.

Also frosthammer special seems nice but has a few problems. Mainly, they string detonate each other which has 2 effects : one, when they all go off at once, my ears start bleeding, and 2, the over-all power is kind of limited since if they all go to one zombie, the mancubus behind it shrugs and then incinerates hae lin. I don't know if this is intentional (since my evil idea of stacking them in the start of map 07 doom 2 completely failed) but its worth bringing up. Especially since the stacked explosion sound pretty much breaks the audio. Other than that its cool, and still useful, but if the chain explosion could be disabled it would be really nice. (then I could beat dead simple with only a few seconds after lowering the gate hehe)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”