Looking to get into 3D modelling, advice wanted

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Flynn Taggart

Looking to get into 3D modelling, advice wanted

Post by Flynn Taggart »

Recently I've taken up an interest in 3D modelling and would like to know what is the best program for a beginner like me with a good interface that can also make great looking models for some possible game/mod use (such as .MD2/3 and 5 formats). I've tried to use Blender on a few occasions but I couldn't wrap my head around any of it, but I hear it's regarded as the best free modelling program out there. I don't have the cash to drop on programs like 3DSmax, Maya, or similar ones so I'm only interested in freeware programs right now.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Looking to get into 3D modelling, advice wanted

Post by leileilol »

Blender is your best free option right now.

There's only like 2 or 3 3d modelers here.... that actually model that is.

People that suggest Milkshape3D or Gmax, (which there definitely will be), have no idea how outdated, buggy, archaic and useless those programs are.
Last edited by leileilol on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Blender, as Photoshop, 3D Max or Maya is hard to do anything when you start work with the programs by yourself, but you learn anyway and actually is the best for what you want.

My avatar in example was animated by me and rendered on Blender, as leilei said above, there are few modellers around here, my case is animator, i don't get much effort on modelling (no patience for primary production)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Blender for days. I used to talk so much shit about Blender but I've made the switch in 2013 and don't ever see myself going to any other software

It's just annoying finding documentation or help for it... unless you enjoy sitting through 1-hour-videos when all you were looking for was a freaking step-by-step (REALLY? I HAVE TO WATCH 3-PART 40 MINUTE VIDEOS JUST TO LEARN HOW TO OUTPUT SPRITE-STYLE SHADED RENDERS?)

Also they tend to break things here and there, bit by bit, with every new release

But yeah Blender is definitely the way to go if you want free. And the UI has gotten soooo much better recently
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

I second everyone else here about Blender. It has a bit of a learning curve but there are tutorials everywhere and, as far as freebies go, you won't find one with as many options or as much complexity as Blender.

Return to “Off-Topic”