Online music stores

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
jpalomo

Online music stores

Post by jpalomo »

Does anyone know of any good online digital music stores that fulfill these requirements:
  • DRM-free
  • High quality loseless format of some kind (FLAC, WAV, etc.)
  • Good selection of music, not just indie artists
The only site I know of is Bandcamp, but that doesn't have the artists I'm looking for.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Online music stores

Post by Zanieon »

https://www.beatport.com/

the only one that i think fits on your requirements, however i dunno what you mean with DRM-free
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

jpalomo wrote:The only site I know of is Bandcamp, but that doesn't have the artists I'm looking for.
If your primary deal-breaker is that your chosen site doesn't have the artists you want, then you're kind of stuck; artists generally choose one or two sites on which to upload their albums, so if they haven't put their stuff on a site you like, then that's nothing the consumer can really do anything about.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Revilution wrote:however i dunno what you mean with DRM-free
Digital rights management. Basically, it is a restriction placed on files that prevents it from being played by unauthorized software or devices. It is very consumer unfriendly and a deal breaker for some. It is supposed to combat piracy but pirates typically don't have to deal with DRM. It seems beatport meets that requirement. I'll check it out, thanks.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

The only music format i've met with this DRM so far was WMA which nobody uses anymore.

Also beatport is equivalent to iTunes, but in a form of site instead of program, so prolly you will find the artists you want there.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

jpalomo wrote:Does anyone know of any good online digital music stores that fulfill these requirements:
  • DRM-free
  • High quality loseless format of some kind (FLAC, WAV, etc.)
  • Good selection of music, not just indie artists
The only site I know of is Bandcamp, but that doesn't have the artists I'm looking for.
DRM-free: Amazon embeds some purchase information in it's files, but there are ways to scrub that if you're sufficiently paranoid.
Lossless Formats: A quick Google led me to HDtracks, which offers DRM-free FLAC downloads.
Good Selection Of Music: Order the CDs off of Amazon and rip 'em yourself! :P
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Removed.
Last edited by Nevander on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Nevander wrote:Record the music from YouTube or something using Audacity.
Considering how much he emphasises lossless, studio-quality audio formats in his OP, I think you just gave him a brain aneurysm.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Kinsie wrote:
Considering how much he emphasises lossless, studio-quality audio formats in his OP, I think you just gave him a brain aneurysm.
You can find perfectly high quality versions of 90% of songs on YouTube. They sound as good as they'll ever need to be for me for practically any use. Also lossless studio-quality audio can really rack up the MBs quick. I prefer low file sizes and good quality sound. My way satisfies both.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

I accept musics on 44.1KHz on 128kbps with no worries, however 48KHz on 320kbps is another world and this is what he wants i suppose (considering MP3 format)
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Nevander wrote:You can find perfectly high quality versions of 90% of songs on YouTube. They sound as good as they'll ever need to be for me for practically any use. Also lossless studio-quality audio can really rack up the MBs quick. I prefer low file sizes and good quality sound. My way satisfies both.
...have you actually read anything in this thread?

"Perfectly high quality" is not lossless. It's great that you prefer that, but OP does not. You're also advocating piracy.

In relation to the question though, Wiki has a comparison chart that may interest you.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

GooberMan wrote: In relation to the question though, Wiki has a comparison chart that may interest you.
Many thanks, this should make the search easier.
Kinsie wrote: Lossless Formats: A quick Google led me to HDtracks, which offers DRM-free FLAC downloads.
This has been the best site so far, thanks. It happens to have the artist I was looking for.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

Nevander wrote:
Kinsie wrote:
You can find perfectly high quality versions of 90% of songs on YouTube. They sound as good as they'll ever need to be for me for practically any use. Also lossless studio-quality audio can really rack up the MBs quick. I prefer low file sizes and good quality sound. My way satisfies both.
i don't think you understand what "lossless" means.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:i don't think you understand what "lossless" means.
Of course I do. It's right there in the name. It's basically uncompressed forms of audio in which nothing is lost and it's in a raw format like WAV or something. Lossy means that it is compressed in some way and certain frequencies may be cut out to save space, like MP3. I know OP said he wanted lossless, and in my post I said I can't tell any difference between lossy and lossless so I just go with 128kb/s MP3.

Removed.
Last edited by Nevander on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nevander wrote:Also I would say that it technically isn't piracy, since it's a recording and you're using it for yourself. It's not a direct rip of a CD or something that you share. Now recording and distributing is different.
So, you get a copy of the music track to listen to whenever you want to on your devices for as long as you like for nothing and it's not piracy?

Don't you know...
Spoiler:

Return to “Off-Topic”