Dsdoom3 - 32 map Total Conversion almost done!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

Re: Dsdoom3 - 32 map Total Conversion almost done!

Post by osjclatchford »

doomfiend wrote:His original idea was he wanted to make wads for the DSPort of Doom 1/2 he started off with sub par wads back in the day when he was still learning how to map. and I tried and poked and prodded him that Boom format was obsolete and he should stop limiting him self. little did I know, Not only is the boom format popular, but with such limitations you can be even more creative. sometimes maps will surpass maps that are abusing the modern features. as far as I know he still likes working on the same idea of ds wads, and hats off to him to sticking to his guns. I applaud it. even going as far as working around dehacked to make it work the way he wishes
indeed... this mindset to projects is something the community sorely needs more of...
DominicWhite wrote:
doomfiend wrote: my map project will purposely be incompatible with Brutal doom anyway you slice it,
Purposely? As in, it could be compatible but you're deliberately breaking it so it isn't? If so, that's rather petty. I hope I'm reading that wrong - If it's inherently incompatible due to new enemies/scripting/weapons that BD would break, then fine, but blocking stuff just seems silly.
if so, not at all petty. I for one am sick of this obsession with brutal-doom. to me its over-amped somewhat ridiculous and just a little bit disturbing. don't get me wrong, the sprite/code work involved on said project is truly awe inspiring. hats off to them too, but to me the end product is something I'm sick and tired of having rammed down everyone's throat. its not for everyone and as an author of mods myself it does bother me when people judge a mod as 'bad' because it doesn't support bd. (truth be told its never happened to me personally but is bugs me nontheless) generic mods should support the basic official iwads doom,doom2,tnt,plutonia,heretic,hexen etc...
some mods have a specific specification when the mod is conceived; if they fail to do what the original spec of the mod was then yes, that is a failure. otherwise its just personal prefferences. if you don't like it, learn how to change it and keep it to yourself. bugging an author to do something they don't want to do, and drumming up support from others along the same lines is just going to piss the author off and more likely to reduce workflow as desire falters...
please bear in mind that I'm am speaking i n generalities here. its on my mind at present and I thought it was relevent here...
ok off rant and back on topic: :wink:

this mod is awesome and I can barely wait for march 8th.

there much better than my moaning, no?
FANADICALCOWHEAD

Post by FANADICALCOWHEAD »

Devianteist wrote:Just had a thought;

Why is this called DSDoom3? Is it playable on the DS system or something along those lines?
Yes it is and still is intended to be played on the Nintendo DS port of doom titled dsdoom. However, as the wad began coming together, I realized that most ports of doom outside of a computer were PrBoom based. So the conclusion? If your device runs PrBoom, your device will run this wad.

In terms of brutal doom compatibility, you'll be in for some nasty surprises. It can work, probably, but someone will need to make a secondary patch of brutal doom's decorate or acs or whatever the hell you zdoomers do to fill the dehacked void, some of the monsters have bossdeath or level end or something that triggers doors and shit. Some of the monsters have different masses, ie the vulgar replaces the baron of hell, the vulgar is the size of an imp and standard baron (if I remember correctly are about 8 - 16 units taller) So the conclusion? It will play, but dont be surprised to see a rogue hud weapon as decoration in the map, yeah dehacked the 90's way.

edit:
Not that brutal doom isn't good or anything, so far I've only really seen videos of it because the mod itself works terribly on my 2004 computer and its just too complicated for me. However a mod that would be killer with dsdoom3 is Doomero's Revenge of evil, now that would be a spectacular mix, but I don't know what editing would be involved for the two wads to be compatible with one and other, and I dont know if doomero has interest left after completing his projects, no offense to him, but having to go over a project of his magnitude that far down the road is worth doing. Not to mention I've seen some incredible preliminary maps to along with his project, so my assumption is that he will probably continue his project his way, but I will say that doomero is a hell of a lot more dedicated than I am, its a real shame that large portion of the community is unaware of his talent. But who knows, maybe some rogue modder will bridge dsdoom3 with revenge of evil, or even bridge BD with dsdoom3.
Last edited by FANADICALCOWHEAD on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

FANADICALCOWHEAD wrote:...yeah dehacked the 90's way.
:D
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

You're talking about that Doom 3 mod Doomero made, right? Well, I've played it with beta builds of the mod before, and I have good news; even with all the Dehacked shenanigans it SEEMS, at least, to be 100% compatible the last time I tried it. Granted, this was with a beta build of DSDoom3 that's likely around a year old at this point, but I imagine not much has changed dehacked-wise since then to matter much.

And yes, it is a fantastic combination.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Should be compatible my mod if you are not using ACS. Also if you want a special version for your maps you should ask me and maybe i can include cutscenes, or a new history, etc...
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

if you want to go over the top I'm getting really good at Dynamic lighting. if you choose to make a port for modern engines with all it's spiffed up stuff...
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

id actually like to see you do that fiend
Alyansnik

Post by Alyansnik »

I would like to play that Total Convertion, but i can't send PM messages to author.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Alyansnik wrote:I would like to play that Total Convertion, but i can't send PM messages to author.
Your account was still in Approval; try it now.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

the maps actually run fine on modern sourceports after a little bit of mapinfo tinkering

sorry man i can play doom without OpenGL its my bae
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

you can't*? you mean?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

am I wrong or is this getting released today?
Pisstepank

Post by Pisstepank »

No you're right !
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Oh yeah... I mustn't forget time zone differences too... :oops:
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Yea this was supposed to be released today im looking forward to playing this with weapons of saturn

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”