Specific issues you had with Hexen

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SamVision

Re: Specific issues you had with Hexen

Post by SamVision »

The issue is not that, the issue is that Hexen is just plain boring and dull. I would rather play Rayman or Unreal than trudge through Hexen's unbearable dull levels. I got the most enjoyment out of the game playing as the Fighter because of how satisfying his weapons were to use against lower tier enemies.
Vegeta(dw)

Post by Vegeta(dw) »

Hexen is one of my favorite games of all times. And the multiplayer is one of the best, I love to slaughter mages with the axe.,

My only gripes are that Monsters are too easy and the difficult it is to make a decent Hexen map.

I understand that the average player doesn't like it though, the game is more demanding for the player than the average fps, and if you don't bother about story lines you'll enjoy it even less.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

That brings up something I've been wondering about, is there a good complete lore reference for heretic/hexen?
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

SamVision wrote:the issue is that Hexen is just plain boring and dull.
Basically sums it up for me.
Even with Guncaster, which is actually good, it's not really that fun for longer then 10 Minutes because of the levels.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Wait, Guncaster works with hexen?
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

I think it was made for Hexen.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

It was made for Heretic. A doom patch was made later.
Athel

Post by Athel »

Oh, yay! I can rant!

Oh, Hexen, where do I begin? I guess I'll start with the goods with what little I've played.

- It has increased my skill as a puncher in other doom related games.
- Its basically Heretic, minus the tomes of power.
- Punching that bell in the tower was kinda cool, even cooler that when you look up in software, you get the sense of 3D
- Introduction of troll Instant death floors, fall damage and TrollScript ACS.
- You can get crushed by moving walls and doors. Nice touch!

Oh, but the cons!
- The MAZE OF HUBS! I mean, c'mon! It's like the original was too short so they went back and slapped some mazes to extend it to, like, a year to beat. (I dunno really. Never finished it.)
- Jump-crouching breaks some maps scriptwise. Now, this is more of my fault. If I had never played Half-Life, I wouldn't know about this. I jump-crouched into a pit, pressed the switch and got stuck.
- Bland! I mean, the very first map I made on Android was better than half the maps here! (Believe me, thats saying something.) Not to mention the only colors are about 50 shades of grey, a butt ton of brown and very rarely red and yellow. Not counting stained windows.

- A "D'Sparil Horse" at each puzzle ending? C'mon!

Thats just off the top of my head.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Crouching isn't possible in Hexen normally. It's a source port feature. I wouldn't call the maps bland, either. They are less bland and better-looking than like 95% of community made Doom maps, in my opinion.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Ixnatifual wrote:Crouching isn't possible in Hexen normally. It's a source port feature. I wouldn't call the maps bland, either. They are less bland and better-looking than like 95% of community made Doom maps, in my opinion.
If Hexen's maps were completely linear they would work perfectly well, but they are not, you will have to run around them maps for a long time seeing the same scenery over and over again and notice just how dull the maps can get even with the neat added decorations compared to Heretic and Doom maps.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

I think it was just too early for it's style of maps back then.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

SamVision wrote:
Ixnatifual wrote:Crouching isn't possible in Hexen normally. It's a source port feature. I wouldn't call the maps bland, either. They are less bland and better-looking than like 95% of community made Doom maps, in my opinion.
If Hexen's maps were completely linear they would work perfectly well, but they are not, you will have to run around them maps for a long time seeing the same scenery over and over again and notice just how dull the maps can get even with the neat added decorations compared to Heretic and Doom maps.
I agree they get old when you're constantly running through the same areas again and again, but that really has more to do with the hub design and "missing switch x or item y so now I have to look everywhere again" than the looks of the level. Any level would get repetitive in that scenario.
Blox

Post by Blox »

The silly Hide & Seek game with the switches and the lack of UNF in the weapons are the biggest offenders, although I would agree on the enemy changes too.

Hexen is much better suited for slaughtering armies of shit than it is for wandering through the same areas five times in search for that one little corner you didn't check the last four times to progress.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

Blox wrote: Hexen is much better suited for slaughtering armies of shit than it is for wandering through the same areas five times in search for that one little corner you didn't check the last four times to progress.
Heretic & HeXen should have been switched around. Heretic is fighting armies of monsters with weak weapons.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Peter Bark wrote:Heretic is fighting armies of monsters with weak weapons.
The weapons are fine, the monsters have higher HP and pain resistance than Doom ones.

Return to “Off-Topic”