Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: EA just killed Maxis!

Post by Xtyfe »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Xtyfe wrote:They don't appreciate games like we do
How condescending and arrogant...
Maybe it is, but kids these days with their xboxes and their halos and their devil rap music just don't know how much better things were in the 90s. I know for one we certainly didn't act like they do.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Seriously? Were you fucking born yesterday or something?

Christ. You know, there's nostalgia and then there's bitching, and this thread is full of bitching. Everyone wants a champion they can put on a pedestal and a big enemy they can punch up at.

Yes, let's all blame the AAA devs for everything and ignore the poorly-run Kickstarters and Early Access bullshit that's come up in their wake as a result of people's blind faith and naivete. I'm no fan of EA either, but if you wanted heroes you're probably in the wrong hobby.

I'm starting to dislike the entire Zdoom forum here---or at least the off-topic subforum---because of angry nostalgia wank like this. It's no fun.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Big C, while I understand your frustration, angry posts like that will solve nothing.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Xtyfe wrote:I know for one we certainly didn't act like they do.

Yeah, yeah, blah, blah.

Every generation said that of the younger one and yet the world still hasn't ended. Our parents were the same, having little to no understanding for our tastes. It's sad to see that some people tend to forget this and repeat the same shit all over again.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Who's angry? I'm quite happy with how things are. Sure it's a little boring without having new stuff to play but I get to go out and do real life things more often. Plus I'm saving my money for more practical things like a girlfriend.

What's great is that I don't need to be a "angry nostalgia wank" at all. I can just continue rolling along while the industry implodes on itself and things can start fresh again. So really, maybe we should be thanking EA instead.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Xtyfe wrote:I know for one we certainly didn't act like they do.
You just did.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

I don't condemn EA for everything new they do, since there were recent games which i liked, Mass Effect is the most obvious since BioWare knows how to do stuff still being a subsidiary of EA, i liked Spore on 2010 too i think it was the real last innovative game from Maxis before they started only keep the actual franchises with no great additions to them.

About Digital Illusions CE, well, they aren't totally BAD because i liked the 2010 Mirror's Edge too, i just think they do stupidities with new games in a such buggy engine called Frostbite 3.

My only real complaint about the actual Electronic Arts is that they like make a game, then release Image DLCs to it costing half the price of the game and provides no bugfixes in obvious bugs (the ones that you don't need search to see).
Big C

Post by Big C »

wildweasel wrote:Big C, while I understand your frustration, angry posts like that will solve nothing.
Fine, fine. My problem was most specifically with Xtyfe anyway, because...
Xtyfe wrote:Who's angry? I'm quite happy with how things are. Sure it's a little boring without having new stuff to play but I get to go out and do real life things more often. Plus I'm saving my money for more practical things like a girlfriend.

What's great is that I don't need to be a "angry nostalgia wank" at all. I can just continue rolling along while the industry implodes on itself and things can start fresh again. So really, maybe we should be thanking EA instead.
My bigger problem with you is your know-it-all attitude and acting like you're better than other people for poorly-defined ad hominem reasons.

As for EA, at least they've got Origin and some solid titles (like Crysis and Dead Space 1/2) under their belt. You want a circus sideshow? Go look at the Hype Train event around Payday 2. Overkill Software's either gone desperate or mad.

If I sound like I'm tired of people complaining about how bad things are, it's because I've seen them get WORSE just as often.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Huh. Well, after looking at this batch of chaos and then some, I still don't see what the big deal is. :shrug: I guess I'm just more about "Hey, look, a cool game" then anything else. Plus, I friggin' love Dead Space, and am looking stupidly forward to the future Star Wars titles Disney contracted them for.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Xtyfe wrote:I wouldn't call 12 year old console kiddies who use mommy and daddy's credit cards to buy games "gamers"
Their money's as legal as yours.
Xtyfe wrote:They don't appreciate games like we do, it's just big splosions and things and stuff.
You're posting on a Doom forum.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

and EA will rule as a f**king DLC Union.
Marinelol

Post by Marinelol »

Tbh am more surprised Maxis weren't immediately scolded for the SimCity shitstorm. They are the ones to blame for it not just EA :P.

EA free-2-play games are just as plagued with microtransactions as most of those games. I remember Peggle Blast having some stupid level where you must beat 5 stupidly hard levels in a row or you wait several hours to get more lives. Sounds like CandyCrush.. And Farmville etc.
Although some EA games are at the same time very playable (Am sure Plants Vs. Zombies 2 has EA logo at start. You can beat it without paying a cent, and no stupid levels beside some random events unlike Peggle Blast).

Although I dunno why EA still allows some of their studios to do game changes that are screaming "This will kill the franchise!". The most blatant is that Command and Conquer game with no buildings and resource management..
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Need For Speed World have this problem of being F2P and half of the game is locked in the "premium shop" due to their necessity of earning more money than needed under a game, however most stuff is just for visual modifications of the cars or more slots for garage which means that real "free players" don't stay behind the ones who pay for such stuff because gameplay isn't affected by this making the stupid rule of Pay2Win
YukesVonFaust wrote:and EA will rule as a f**king DLC Union.
Capcom owns that title already
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Revilution wrote:Need For Speed World have this problem of being F2P and half of the game is locked in the "premium shop" due to their necessity of earning more money than needed under a game, however most stuff is just for visual modifications of the cars or more slots for garage which means that real "free players" don't stay behind the ones who pay for such stuff because gameplay isn't affected by this making the stupid rule of Pay2Win
I don't mind F2P and microtransactions. But I am not a fan of Pay2Win. Pay2LookGood however is alright. :lol:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Marinelol wrote:Although some EA games are at the same time very playable (Am sure Plants Vs. Zombies 2 has EA logo at start. You can beat it without paying a cent, and no stupid levels beside some random events unlike Peggle Blast).
Yeah, PvZ is a Popcap joint, they've been owned by EA for years now.
Marinelol wrote:Although I dunno why EA still allows some of their studios to do game changes that are screaming "This will kill the franchise!". The most blatant is that Command and Conquer game with no buildings and resource management..
C&C 4? IIRC that was originally planned to be an F2P online-only game that was hastily converted into a retail product for... um... reasons, I guess.

I don't envy the businessmen in this industry. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't, and if the trials and tribulations of Kickstarter, the folks losing all their money on failed mobile games, etc. etc. are any indication, many developers would choke to death on their own feet without your thankless intervention.

Return to “Off-Topic”