Colourful Hell 1.01 fix fix tweak tweak

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What do with black shotgun spawn?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 am

keep as they are
No votes
modify a little for ranged options
No votes
Remake the crew for better variance
29%
Remake with focus on the leader as the boss
71%
Rehaul and scrap the concept, make something else shotgunny instead
No votes

Total votes: 7

Cryomundus

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.24

Post by Cryomundus »

Crudux Cruo wrote:So, i tried this out on scythe maps with the trailblazer (and my balance mod) and... its pretty epic.
some things i'd like to say about it...

1.) I like the recolours. i really actually would rather you get the content out than screw around with enhanced sprites; if you want to add them AFTER i'd say go for it, but it seems you got enough on your plate as it is.

2.) Barons and Hell Knights are very hard to differentiate. i would change the sprite of the baron to... well that winged one you had for the orange baron looked pretty good.

3.) what the F is black and white gonna look like?! i was fighting an orange revenant and got my ass kicked... with the trailblazer mod. im not sure how you're gonna balance it, but it seems these monsters will be pretty crazy.

4.) what weapon mods can really pair with this once you roll out black or white barons? hell even orange would be crazy as shit so... russian overkill?
Try using the regular Trailblazer mod, without your balance addon. Remember, you did that so that it would feel better with vanilla monsters, so it won't work with something that adds harder monsters. Vanilla TB would be better balanced toward this than your mod.

-------

Tempted to try this mod myself, but, I've never really liked randomizers. They've never really felt "balanced" honestly. It was either really somewhat easy or obnoxiously difficult, and it usually wound up being difficult.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Cryomundus wrote:
Crudux Cruo wrote:So, i tried this out on scythe maps with the trailblazer (and my balance mod) and... its pretty epic.
some things i'd like to say about it...

1.) I like the recolours. i really actually would rather you get the content out than screw around with enhanced sprites; if you want to add them AFTER i'd say go for it, but it seems you got enough on your plate as it is.

2.) Barons and Hell Knights are very hard to differentiate. i would change the sprite of the baron to... well that winged one you had for the orange baron looked pretty good.

3.) what the F is black and white gonna look like?! i was fighting an orange revenant and got my ass kicked... with the trailblazer mod. im not sure how you're gonna balance it, but it seems these monsters will be pretty crazy.

4.) what weapon mods can really pair with this once you roll out black or white barons? hell even orange would be crazy as shit so... russian overkill?
Try using the regular Trailblazer mod, without your balance addon. Remember, you did that so that it would feel better with vanilla monsters, so it won't work with something that adds harder monsters. Vanilla TB would be better balanced toward this than your mod.

-------

Tempted to try this mod myself, but, I've never really liked randomizers. They've never really felt "balanced" honestly. It was either really somewhat easy or obnoxiously difficult, and it usually wound up being difficult.
Well Randomizers do tend to have that problem, but I'm trying my best to balance the spawn chances and give some "compensations" for higher tier monster spawns.

Also;

2) I am considering giving them some sort of variables, but currently you should be able to differiate em with the sounds and behavior, not to mention HK's are bit more brighther.
3) Black and White will be boss tier that will be handled a lot differently, as mentioned in the first post, they will announce their presence.
4) Just prepare your BFG's and hope RNG doesnt spawn one in a bad place.

Generally, there's gonna be A LOT of balance changes once I get this next patch up and running, lot of monsters have gotten ability nerfs, and generally bit of other kind of changes.
One of them will be a health/armor bonus item droppings for rare and up monsters, however, I am still trying to see if I can get that work bit less icky than currenty, I'm also considering giving drop chances for some monsters for certain useful items. Tho This is not set in stone, I might scrap the feature if it ends up being too easy mode or causes issues, tho I will tweak it up first to see how it plays out.
Generally, it seems to work alrightish vanilla wise, havent tested with other weapon mods yet tho.

Some testing shenigans, bugs and thoughts;
Spoiler:
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

You could make the common spawns easier than the standard enemy as a way to try to maintain balance.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Actually, funny enough, i buffed the bitchmaker and the van ness cannon, and i nerfed (ammo only) the hellraiser minigun, and did some general balance tweaks to the other weapons, so it actually isn't a huge nerf patch; i wish i would have taken a picture, i was in a teeny tiny corridor with a elevator up and got my ass handed to me.

I was thinking that, perhaps, instead of the standard difficulties, (which really dont make sense for a difficulty mod like this), you can change the overall health of the player, or of the monsters.

Easiest: 50% damage received, 150% damage given, 2x ammo, HMP Spawn rate
Easier: 25% damage received, 125% damage given, UV spawn rate
Medium: normal UV
Hard: 125% damage received, 75% damage given, turn up agressiveness a little so monsters attack more
Hardest: I really dont know if theres a point, ill certainly never play it this hard the way things are looking.

this would give you a better option to balance things across the board instead of having to tweak the actual enemies themselves, since most of this stuff can be done outside of the actor codes if i'm right.

One other thing, and this may be a bit much, having a semi-official weapon set might be nice so as to have a complete set (realm667 even) that is somewhat perfectly balanced for the mod. IF that ever happens, let me know, i can help. hell, i can even lend you some sprites. i got a great, unused, pump double shotgun coded, sprited, sounds and all.

Either way, thanks for work on this.
AdmiralAjax

Post by AdmiralAjax »

I'm pretty sure a good part of the choices made for this mod is so it's pretty compatible with a lot of other mods as long as they don't mess with vanilla monsters. Doing stuff like that would just sour it. I've really enjoyed this though, especially with mods and maps I've over played, it really made them feel new.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Rowsol wrote:You could make the common spawns easier than the standard enemy as a way to try to maintain balance.
I dont actually wanna do that cause, well, common normal looneys are already easy enough, everyone should know how to abuse the hell out of em already by now.
Actually, funny enough, i buffed the bitchmaker and the van ness cannon, and i nerfed (ammo only) the hellraiser minigun, and did some general balance tweaks to the other weapons, so it actually isn't a huge nerf patch; i wish i would have taken a picture, i was in a teeny tiny corridor with a elevator up and got my ass handed to me.

I was thinking that, perhaps, instead of the standard difficulties, (which really dont make sense for a difficulty mod like this), you can change the overall health of the player, or of the monsters.

Easiest: 50% damage received, 150% damage given, 2x ammo, HMP Spawn rate
Easier: 25% damage received, 125% damage given, UV spawn rate
Medium: normal UV
Hard: 125% damage received, 75% damage given, turn up agressiveness a little so monsters attack more
Hardest: I really dont know if theres a point, ill certainly never play it this hard the way things are looking.

this would give you a better option to balance things across the board instead of having to tweak the actual enemies themselves, since most of this stuff can be done outside of the actor codes if i'm right.

One other thing, and this may be a bit much, having a semi-official weapon set might be nice so as to have a complete set (realm667 even) that is somewhat perfectly balanced for the mod. IF that ever happens, let me know, i can help. hell, i can even lend you some sprites. i got a great, unused, pump double shotgun coded, sprited, sounds and all.

Either way, thanks for work on this.
I'm pretty sure a good part of the choices made for this mod is so it's pretty compatible with a lot of other mods as long as they don't mess with vanilla monsters. Doing stuff like that would just sour it. I've really enjoyed this though, especially with mods and maps I've over played, it really made them feel new.
Yeah, it's a thing that I want to make sure this mod only would affect the monsters, new difficulties could be something I could look into tho, but I do not know how much they could potentially clash with other gameplay mods so I need to be bit careful on that regard.

Weapon pack was something I considered but I have not really looked much into weaponry yet, I am kinda completely dunce in that area.
It would still have to be seperate package aswell.

Regardless;
Spoiler:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I like the idea of different sprites with different colors, I think it'll look nicer overall then just plain recolors. Though you should get the color system implemented fully before switching them all over, I think.
SAraisXenoQueen

Post by SAraisXenoQueen »

Might be nice with DOOMRLA/DOOMRPG
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

SAraisXenoQueen wrote:Might be nice with DOOMRLA/DOOMRPG
Won't work with DRPG without a compat patch. Custom monsters do not play nice with DRPG.
Will work fine with DRLA, especially if they use damagetypes like Fire and Plasma.
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

Bug: When the smoke the green Zombieman spits out touches a monster, the monster attacks the smoke. Really hilarious!
Hege Cactus

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.3

Post by Hege Cactus »

Bug: When the smoke the green Zombieman spits out touches a monster, the monster attacks the smoke. Really hilarious!
...That's pretty amusing. Hopefully it should no longer happen in this version.
Might be nice with DOOMRLA/DOOMRPG
Won't work with DRPG without a compat patch. Custom monsters do not play nice with DRPG.
Will work fine with DRLA, especially if they use damagetypes like Fire and Plasma.
It does work fine with DoomRLA, as it was mentioned I actually tested it a little and doesnt seem to have many issues.
Most of the generic damage types are marked down aswell so yeah.
No idea on doomRPG tho
I like the idea of different sprites with different colors, I think it'll look nicer overall then just plain recolors. Though you should get the color system implemented fully before switching them all over, I think.
As I add custom graphics I also make them have the colours to reflect the colour tier correctly so don't worry about it.

Eitherway, 0.3:
-A LOT of balance changes. A lot of general look improvements and few sound improvements. So now you shouldn't always get your ass kicked when they appear in multiples and you should have easier time to react to them based on their looks and sounds.
-Some enemies starting usualy from rare and up (some stronger uncommons too) drop items now, most commonly; armor and health bonus bundles (randomly generated 4 - 15, won't always drop so dont rely on em), so if you're good enough, killing the stronger enemies can be very beneficial. Some also drop additional Ammo or other nice things, who knows what you might find.
-Cybie and spidie variants are in! These always being boss enemies will drop nice things when killed, but beware; They won't go down easy. Specially if they are purple or blue. Ol normal Cybie can sometimes be a bit more nastier aswell.
-Oranges step in, if you're (un)lucky, orange tier monster can now appear to ruin your day and give you a nasty battle that is almost miniboss level. Keep your guard up, don't let em surprise you. Not all enemies have em yet tho, about half do however
Spoiler:
Hege Cactus

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.31

Post by Hege Cactus »

In the next version we shall get our first "let me announce my presence" level monster;
Spoiler:
Orange monster tier is also progressing pretty well, the orange archvile is also ready, tho he's lot more different than the guy above.
Orange Formers are all ready, Orange HK is ready, Orange Demon and Spectre are ready.
Now once I get orange Fatso, Orange Spider, Orange PE in an acceptable level I think I could call it a new release.
Onar4241

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.31

Post by Onar4241 »

Hege Cactus wrote:In the next version we shall get our first "let me announce my presence" level monster;
Spoiler:
Orange monster tier is also progressing pretty well, the orange archvile is also ready, tho he's lot more different than the guy above.
Orange Formers are all ready, Orange HK is ready, Orange Demon and Spectre are ready.
Now once I get orange Fatso, Orange Spider, Orange PE in an acceptable level I think I could call it a new release.
That sounds really good!
Hege Cactus

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.37

Post by Hege Cactus »

Alright we have a small release again.

- Rest of the orange common monsters have now been added! Oughta give you some fun run times with these bastards. Orange cybie and orange spidermastermind are not in yet however.
- 2 Red monsters have jumped in the tray, Red Hell Knight and Red Archvile have a chance to spawn and ruin your day. If red archvile spawns, you will bet let known tho. If red HK spawns.. Well, hope you like DoTs.
- Generic graphical fixes here and there, some translations like green mancubis shot explosion should look bit better now. removed the ring from blue SGuy and CGuys shots, they were too distracting.
- Some more sounds have been put in to give more intimidation factor to few monsters.
Spoiler:
jpalomo

Re: [WIP]Colourful Hell 0.37

Post by jpalomo »

In case you weren't aware, it seems that this mod is causing crashes. I can help you fix it and clean it up a little.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”