Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mcbain

Re: BDJ20 - melee/grenade hotkeys, combos, new fatalities IT

Post by mcbain »

Absolutely loving this mod, great job!

Would you mind reposting the addons with the glock etc? The link appears broken.
johnny

Post by johnny »

HELLO FELLOWS.

So that break went a little longer than expected. BUT, I was not completely idle through the whole deal, and I finally fucking solved that stupid bodies disappearing on water/sometimes on land/whatever bug and OH MY GOD I am so happy. That and the whole invincible headshot zoms were the bane of my existence, man. Apparently, according to A_SpawnItem(Ex), 2 monsters cannot occupy the same space. Not even some of the same space, like none plus 10 square miles around the first one. If something is occupying even a little bit of the space that a new monster wants to spawn in, it just doesn't happen. Vanishes. A_NoBlocking shoukd be called first before any spawnitems pop up, but even then it only works like 9/10 times. It had absolutely jack shit to do with the splashes/TERRAIN lump like I had previously thought and all the guesses I've been making for the past 3 weeks have been not even close to being right. Fortunately, I typed the right words into google and out popped my solution. SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION. You beautiful flag, you. Literally spent 3 fucking weeks messing around trying to correct this and didn't discover the fix til like 9ish hours ago. The best part is, that's not even the worst bug or even one that really affected gameplay in any real way. Such is life in mother russia.

ANYWAYS, just wanted to let you dudes know that I haven't disappeared and there has been progess. I fixed that vanish thing, changed the shotgun sound again like I always do (I think I actually manage to make it slightly more bad ass every time), made the rockets a lil stronger because let's be real, missiles should fuck shit up (ALSO the reload sfx now sound like you mean business), got rid of plasma splash damage, I think I made the plasma secondary stronger (like strong aas hell), integrated nash's qtilt (but a tad less tilty), headshots "feel better" (barons go down in 3 shotgun faceblasts, knights in 1 if you're a cowboy), uhhhhhh there was a TON of under the hood fixes, like after I fixed the vanishing problem I went and fixed weird collision/clipping issues that were all over the place for basicallt everything (punches will alllllllways connect now when they should, no more whiffing imps holding their guts in and barons/knights standing there begging to get that booty stomped [just don't stand too too close because reasons]), so you should notice an assload more blood/guts/arms/legs/exteemely excessive amounts of shit falling from the ceiling because before they were overlapping and deleting each other... next order of business will be to tone down all that dumb ridiculous shit to still ridiculous but not like, come on dude that's just stupid amounts. Kinda lost my train of thought here but I think that's all the important stuff, I'm a bit hammered right now so I will update this post tomorrow and format it in a more respectable manner after I sleep for most of the day. Thank you, I love you, and goodnight.

EDIT: Art Vandelay, I love your name. What mod(s) are you wanting to overlay the grenades onto? Let me know and I'll plug them in for you, I'm already familiar with all this stuff so I could whip something up in noooooo time at all. I reuploaded the purely-pure grenades with vanilla weapons pk3 too, in case you wanna check that out.

EDIT2: actually next order of business is to make good on the promises I've made like weeks/months ago. I need to make an alternate shotgun/ssg sprite patch, an alternate grenade sprite patch, a plasma rifle clip patch, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. No more procrastinating for this guy

EDIT3: why does the newest gzdoom svn totally break a_setpitch and radius_quake

EDIT4: oh fuck I forgot to put the titlemap back in, don't worry I reuploaded, I know that is a super important part for u guyz lolz

EDIT5: placeholder
Max Dickings

Re: BD Johnny Version - It's comfy and easy to wear

Post by Max Dickings »

Hey, you're back :D

Still love the work that you do!

Quick question, could you update the fullauto addon? Right now if you run the new version with that version of fullauto it seems to miss/skip a frame while hip-firing and doesn't have the sweet sweet muzzleflash.

Thanks
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

Awesome :D

BUT I found....a stuck lift. The lift to the exit in the Crusher got stuck after flipping the switch, though I didn't see anything on it. :(

Also tiny stupid request, but can you add a mutator like the rifleauto to add the offend? xD I agree its pointless, but I find it satisfying after having being killed or having trouble with an enemy and telling them to f*** itself :P

ALSO does doing a fatality on a Hell Knight give you a Doom Sphere or something? MY screen went red after doing so.

ONE MORE THING most of the time I do a fatality, I get fatalitied at the same time, and when I respawn I fatality whatever I was supposed to.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

So far this new version has been absolutely satisfying (and runs smoothly as hell). Sadly BDv20's bug to prevent lifts from moving occasionally remains persistent, and I was abruptly greeted with no gore after firing a rocket at an Imp standing in slime. As for Nash's QTilt, I have not actually noticed it.

Other than that, I'm liking this update.
ArtVandelay

Post by ArtVandelay »

johnny wrote:EDIT: Art Vandelay, I love your name. What mod(s) are you wanting to overlay the grenades onto? Let me know and I'll plug them in for you, I'm already familiar with all this stuff so I could whip something up in noooooo time at all. I reuploaded the purely-pure grenades with vanilla weapons pk3 too, in case you wanna check that out.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I love my name too. 8-)

If you could go ahead and patch every gameplay mod I have downloaded or will ever download that'd be greeeaaaattttt......

But srsly, good ole Sperg-Sperg and Trailblazer would make me a very happy architect.

I've spent the past week or so cracking wads and pk3s open in SLADE3. I modified a few mods to be compatible with others (through trial and error) but I haven't accomplished anything that isn't embarrassingly simple. :p I haven't done any proper reading on SLADE3, ACS, or DOOM editing in general and your grenade mod proved to be pretty confusing to me. ANYWAY, my point is: If you find the time to patch Sperglord and Trailblazer for me, could you include a text file explaining how you did it? Your 'nades are something I'll have a hard time living without, so I'd like to be able to patch future gameplay mods without bothering you for for years to come! Remember, I know almost NOTHING about coding in DOOM so I'll need very specific instructions as if you were helping your grandmother log into her online-banking. For this reason, I'll understand if you don't want to bother typing up a guide. :p

OH YEAH and thanks for GRENADESstandalone.pk3! FUN TIMES!
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Devianteist wrote:So far this new version has been absolutely satisfying (and runs smoothly as hell). Sadly BDv20's bug to prevent lifts from moving occasionally remains persistent, and I was abruptly greeted with no gore after firing a rocket at an Imp standing in slime. As for Nash's QTilt, I have not actually noticed it.
Huh, I haven't noticed Nash's QTilt either. As for that corpse lift bug, just destroy the corpse for the lift to start working again.

I found another bug:

Apparently, the headshot/legshot hitboxes appear to be completely resistant to punches and kicks, particularly when the monster I'm attacking hasn't woken up, and it's even more obvious when you blow off a limb and still no luck.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Thanks Hellstorm, just breezed through half of DOOM II and destroying corpses on lifts helped get them working.
mamaluigisbagel

I have to ask, because its making my brother refuse to play this anymore...why all the Halo sound effects? To name the ones I noticed..

1) Pistol fire (Halo 4 Magnum)
2) Rifle fire (Halo 4 Assault Rifle)
3) Shotgun fire (Halo 4 Shotgun)
4) Minigun draw (Halo 1 Assault Rifle Reload)

As you can tell, he hates Halo :P I don't want it changed honestly, I just find it odd that most of the sound effects are from the same series.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Not sure what causes it, but occasionally shotgunners will drop two shotguns. It's quite hysterical to watch one get shot and fly away, leaving their gun, for another to spawn on their corpse.
johnny

Post by johnny »

mcbain - I actually don't have the glock plugin, dang I thought I had it my mega folder. I'm sure someone else in this thread has it--could somebody throw it up somewhere or email it to me or something? Alternatively you could get in contact with Crudux Cruo, as he's the guy who made them.

MaxDickings - Yes! I forgot how different the code is now. It should be good to go now broseph.

mamaluigisbagel - Stuck lifts, while rare, are still gonna happen. It can typically be cured with a grenade or just shooting all the body pieces until they're broken down into small gibs. I've tried so many things to 100% fix this problem, and while I managed to decrease the frequency of it happening, I couldn't get rid of it totally. Sooo this is gonna stay a problem until BD20 official comes out when Mark hopefully has it fixed. Debugging someone else's (pretty sloppy) code when you can barely decipher their thought processes behind things is tough.

As for the offend thing, I actually ripped out everything to do with offending/taunting... the decorate in each weapon, the decorate in the player definition, the acs, all of it. Putting it back in would be kind of a big task. Hell Knights... that was actually just him dropping a demon strength rune and you picking it up right away. I forgot to mention it in my update post, but it now functions as powerup that activates buddha mode for 50 seconds. Buddha = you take damage til you have 1% health left, then invincibility is turned on. Also makes your screen all red. The fatality continuing thing after respawning is due to how fatalities fundamentally work--you are given an invisible inventory item to trigger the animation, and when the animation finishes, it takes it back out of your inventory. If you die with it in your inventory and respawn, it's gonna continue doing its thing til it finishes.

Regarding the halo 4 sounds, I dunno, they just sound cool. I've had the assault rifle sound since BDJ19 and I recently found a full rar of every single halo 4 sound in crystal clear quality so I used a lot of them. I like having more than one firing sound for each weapon... keeps things fresh. Like, one main "base" sound, plus a few more in a higher/lower pitch or slightly different in some other way. These little sets are hard to find, and I've gone through a shitload of fallout new vegas sound mods to find ones that pass my dumb standards. The H4 soundpack had a bunch of these and sounded cool so I used them. The minigun draw is actually the doom 3 RL draw sound slowed down and pitch shifted and other stuff, but all the other ones you named are right on. In addition to those three, two of the grenade explosion sounds are from H4, as well as the plasma secondary sounds.

Devianteist - Stuck lifts, see above^^^ and the no gore on slime thing I'll check out. Qtilt is there, in a slightly more subtle fashion to avoid getting sick of it. Nash's tilt is 0.0005 and mine is 0.00035. Also the camera tilt thing is a very very recent addition to gzdoom, like february recent, so unless you're running a newer version you won't see it. As for shotgunners, this is kind of a thing for all zombies. When you kill a zombie (depending on which way), the process of him dying involves the spawning and immediate killing of around 3 separate monsters. It's weird. Like if you kill a zombie with a shotgun and get the ragdoll rolling effect, all of this goes down in a matter of around 1 second:
-original zombie dies and is deleted
-lifting-up-into-the-air zombie is spawned
-air zombie is deleted and rolling zombie is spawned
-rolling zombie animates until it detects that contact has been made with a floor, then it does the rolling-slowing-down animation, then deletes
-stopped zombie (one of three possible for each zombie) spawns and stays there
And sometimes it can get cut off somewhere in the middle. That's probably the most complicated example but that's how all deaths go. You should see the imps, there's like a billion. But before this last update, I noticed the shotgunners were only dropping ammo if they died their most vanilla death, and this was bad news because I had just cranked all the ammo drop amounts down. So, I went in and added an A_SpawnItemEx("Shot_gun") entry to the end of every death state to make sure they always dropped. This of course led to each step of each death spawning its own shotgun, and I dialed it back from there. I probably didn't remove all the right ones/left in some of the wrong ones so I'll try to whittle it down til they're good and consistent. Chaingunners do the double spawn thing with grenades sometimes too.

Art - I think I could do that for ya. Do you happen to know if a sprite sheet exists for the trailblazer hands? I would want to keep the gloves consistent if I'm gonna put grenades in there. I'm glad you're interested in learning slade/decorate, and you'll find that long, overly-detailed explanations for things are actually my specialty, so I wouldn't mind making a manual.

Hellstorm - That's actually on purpose. The punches/kicks are invisible projectiles that fly a very very short distance, and they end up "covering" too much of the enemy upon impact, leading to headshots every single time. Melee attacks do a shitload of damage as it is, so when heads aren't immune to melee damage, every punch results in an exploding head one hit kill. That's no fun is it?!!?! For qtilt, make sure you're using at least the second most recent svn of gzdoom.

Two things I forgot to mention in my last post--the punching changes and the "undeath" powerup.

QUESTION: how many of you ever used any combo besides PPKP? ANSWER: probably almost none. I mean I very occasionally used the KKP one but in the heat of the moment I always went for the easiest one. In order to keep things fresh, I got rid of the combo that required a small pause in the beginning (the one with the quick one-two punch) and combined it with the easy PPKP. Now, after your initial punch, the second one is a 50/50 chance between doing the haymaker or the one-two. From there you still have the option to kick and then uppercut, or go straight to uppercut, so nothing really changes. You just get some variance in what your punches look like, and I'm all about dat freshness.

Up until this last update, the berserk and demon strength rune did nothing but give you health. I kind of have an idea for what I'm gonna do with berserk, but the rune needed something and I had a really good pickup sound for it, so for now it's 50 seconds of buddha mode. Since this is a powerup that spawns semi frequently I thought this would be a nice little help when playing on the higher damage % modes. You can still get fucked up til 1% health so you can't go totally balls out like regular invuln, because if it wears off while you're in a crowd of bad guys then you're done for. Nice little compromise, I think. At least til I come up with something better. My creativity well is pretty dry as far as powerups go, so suggestions are very welcome. I'm debating reintroducing some of the old skulltag runes as fatality rewards because the functions already exist inside gzdoom and it'd be easy as pie.
Last edited by johnny on Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mamaluigisbagel

About Combo: I need to try PPKP then. I got close (always do PPK before they explode) I sometimes forget that brutal mods usually have combo systems. Then I'll play Quaker's mod and do a roundhouse (including the screen spinning) and be like wtf did I just do xD

About sounds: I agree, things like the pistol and rifle go PERFECT. I remember the minigun had two sounds when pulling it out though. Odd. Its very hard to tell xD But like I said, nothing against the sounds. Just had to ask....which I ALSO do a lot. Just have to add, THANK YOU for not making it the halo 3 rifle sound. It sounds so pathetic xD

About offend: Well, I did mean only if possible. I never messed around with Brutal at all so I didn't know how easy/hard it'd be. It does make your mod unique in removing it though. Like I said, its more of a "HA F*** YOU I FINALLY KILLED YOU" thing xD gets you in more trouble half the time anyway
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

You are seriously one of my favorite people on these forums (up there with Enjay and WildWeasel) Johnny.

Since you seem so fond of sound effects, think you could whip up a DOOM 3 sounds pack for the weapons? I do love DOOM 3's weapon sounds, and really wish more mods had them. Just wondering on that one.

As for the tilt, if it only works in 2.x, then meh. I use 1.8.10, which runs anything I've needed it to run so far, so whoop whoop.

On the powerups subject, I say go for the Skulltag stuff. I've never seen them, but from what I've read, they would really spice up gameplay, and give it even more of that "arcade-y" feel you've spiced up for us with this.

ninja: Also, I make it a point to use as many combos as possible during a run. It's just so fun wrecking everything like some drugged up werido.
johnny

Post by johnny »

mamaluigisbagel wrote:Then I'll play Quaker's mod

Just have to add, THANK YOU for not making it the halo 3 rifle sound. It sounds so pathetic xD
So I just went and downloaded Quaker's mod and tried it out. I feel like mr. copycat now, his grenades are coded basically exactly like mine and he released his mod waaaay before me. I mean, we both mimicked the way kicking worked to get our grenade systems, but I thought I was doing something new here. Damn! I wouldn't mind collaborating with this guy, he must be my spirit animal or something. And yeah haha dude the H3 AR was the weakest piece of shit of all time, it sounded like someone drumming on a table with two pencils.
Devianteist wrote:You are seriously one of my favorite people on these forums (up there with Enjay and WildWeasel) Johnny.

Since you seem so fond of sound effects, think you could whip up a DOOM 3 sounds pack for the weapons? I do love DOOM 3's weapon sounds, and really wish more mods had them. Just wondering on that one.

As for the tilt, if it only works in 2.x, then meh. I use 1.8.10, which runs anything I've needed it to run so far, so whoop whoop.

On the powerups subject, I say go for the Skulltag stuff. I've never seen them, but from what I've read, they would really spice up gameplay, and give it even more of that "arcade-y" feel you've spiced up for us with this.

ninja: Also, I make it a point to use as many combos as possible during a run. It's just so fun wrecking everything like some drugged up werido.
Thanks bro!! You're a pretty rad dude yourself. I appreciate you sticking around in this thread and being here since the beginning. I could definitely do a doom 3 sound pack, that'd be easy peasy. I already have a doom 3 weapon mod I could pull them from, it'd just be a matter of renaming. The arcade-y feeling with runes thing is exactly what I was thinking--I'm gonna go for it. I'm glad you use all the combos, that's the way it should be! I wish I could add more, but there's only so many things you can do with two buttons.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I love arcade-y gamepaly, I love shooters, I love gore, and I love DOOM. What else could a guy ask for out of a mod? Can't wait to see what else you come up with for this.

Thanks for the compliment as well; I like being a "rad dude" (man I haven't seen those two words together in a long time).

Whoop, whoop! DOOM 3 sounds coming this way. Dunno why, but man I love D3's shotgun sounds.

You're welcome. I use what I'm given (even if it usually ends up in getting a severe amount of punishment smashed into my skull, damn Barons).

Return to “Gameplay Mods”