Laptop to run GZDoom with

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
black-thrones

Laptop to run GZDoom with

Post by black-thrones »

I plan on buying a new laptop in a couple of months to do study, record/play/store music and play games on it. Yes I know laptops aren't the ideal choice for gaming but I'm not in a good position to have a desktop in my current home. I'm not particularly tech savvy, so I thought I'd ask this question here:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tab ... ok/632119/

Will this laptop be good enough to use GZDoom with no problems in framerate or anything? I plan on playing Brutal Doom with this as well. As far as I know it can be a performance hog on older laptops so it'd be good to know. Thanks.
edward850

Re: Laptop to run GZDoom with

Post by edward850 »

1.5 GHz AMD Quad-Core A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD 8330 Graphics
... Uhm... No.
  • Never buy an APU. For anything. Not even people you hate.
  • 1.5GHz is very very old hat. Especially with Doom, which pretty much demands raw clock speed in exchange for more complexity. Parallelism isn't a substitute, either, as Doom cannot use it. Yes, ZDoom can run on a 1.5GHz CPU, however if you want to run overly intricate mods...
  • Don't willing buy AMD with the intent to run GZDoom, although this is more anecdotal.
  • You cannot optimize anything for Brutal Doom. It's a very badly designed mod. In fact, don't even mention Brutal Doom, if only to avoid starting conversation about it.
Seriously, I hope you can set your sights set higher than $500. You're looking at at least a 1.5 grand laptop to run anything modern. Selling yourself short off the track is only going to immediately push you out of the support curve.
Last edited by edward850 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
black-thrones

Post by black-thrones »

Sweet as then. Thanks
edward850

Post by edward850 »

By the way, that is the second 1.5GHz APU I have seen someone consider "a standard computer", today. Is some aggressive marketer trying to unload old stock or something? Well, less old and more "pointless on arrival". :P
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

@Edward:

I think you missed the dedicated graphics card in there so it won't be this bad, albeit still not great. The CPU will be a major bottleneck, though. 1.5 GHz isn't really that great for gaming. It'll be enough to run older games, but for more recent stuff or more complex ZDoom maps it won't really be sufficient.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Holy crud you're right. With 2 GB dedicated, even. It's a shame that the CPU would choke that to hell, and it's basically only on par with a GeForce 820M anyway. It is indeed a $500 netbook. :P

But yeah. It'll run GZDoom, but you would be getting about the same performance my phone does running Doom. Great if you want to play BTSX on the go, and not much else. They are designed as portable e-mail browsers, after all.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Well, I can play Sunder, Hell-Revealed I & II and co with ketchup-mod and RussianOverkill at a stable and nice framerate. I paid 850$ for my laptop, but I can also use Adobe Premiere (need to use it), Visual Studio, and basically every game I have without any kinds of trouble.

I think you shouldn't be sparing money when you try to buy a good computer.
black-thrones

Post by black-thrones »

Yeah after reading this I think I'll wait it out and save up further before I finally buy a new one now. Or at least until my current decrepit laptop finally dies.
DaMan

Post by DaMan »

edward850 wrote:Is some aggressive marketer trying to unload old stock or something? Well, less old and more "pointless on arrival". :P
Its the never ending race to the bottom. OEM's will literally do anything to save a buck (see Superfish). They slap quad core on it and expect people will think its faster than their old dual core.

Return to “Off-Topic”