Night Dive are Exhuming another Retro FPS

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

Re: Night Dive are Exhuming another Retro FPS

Post by Enjay »

DoomRater wrote:Quick unrelated nitpick but since when did factoid mean fact?
Lots of people think it means "a small fact" rather than "fact-like". Lots of people are incorrect.

There is a radio show in the UK that regularly broadcasts a number of "factoids" which people then quote as if they were true. Of course, such people have missed the point that these resemble facts but are not necessarily correct factual information. I think the main reason for the word being used by the show is a bit of a get-out by the show and gives the presenters a change to spout spurious, ignorant comments on the given subject (which they do) without ever really claiming what they are saying is actually factual. It's a light hearted segment in a light hearted show BTW, nothing serious. I guess the "fact" part of the word is recognised and understood by most people versus the less recognised, less understood "oid".

I suppose something like "factette" is closer to the intended meaning in this thread. (Factette is not recognised by all dictionaries.)
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Upon looking up factoid, it seems both definitions - i. appearing factual or ii. a trivial fact - are accepted.

Also isn't truthiness the word du jour for something that that has the resemblance of being true or factual without actually being either? :p
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I guess my post was a factoid (meaning #1) then. ;)
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Snarboo wrote:Upon looking up factoid, it seems both definitions - i. appearing factual or ii. a trivial fact - are accepted.
The latter might a mutation from it being (mis)used for that meaning. However the "-oid" suffix means "resembling" or "like", but isn't necessarily exclusive. (E.G. "humanoid", which usually includes actual humans.) Technically, things usually still resemble themselves, (an egg can be said to be quite ovoid, or egg-like,) so I guess it's still correct. Also, "fact" kind of implies relevance, importance, or completeness, while "factoid" usually describes something trivial or oversimplified.

So it might just be overzealous pedantry at work. Or maybe we got burned too badly on the "literally" thing...
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

So anyway about that Exhumed thing. Are they going to port it directly, maybe try and convert the levels and make it work on their own engine or something?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

NeuralStunner wrote:Or maybe we got burned too badly on the "literally" thing...
While I have heard and seen a lot of people going on about that, I have literally never actually heard anyone use that word incorrectly (though I think I may have seen it a few times on line). What is it that people do? Do they use "literally" when they mean something quite the opposite such as "metaphorically" or something?
Average

Post by Average »

This will be a day one pick up for me (if it's the Saturn version!). Especially if the controls are tweaked. Exhumed is one of my favourite FPS games from that era... Now, if only somebody could do the same for Chaos: The Rift (I know most people don't really rate it but it's got a special place in my heart!).
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:What is it that people do? Do they use "literally" when they mean something quite the opposite such as "metaphorically" or something?
Yes, and amusingly it's something that people have been doing since the 1800s. I say "burned" because it still meant "not figuratively" to most people for the longest time, but then "these damn kids" started (over)using it to mean the opposite, apparently without care that it meant anything else. Supposedly, the secondary meaning was only (at the time) recently added to the Oxford English Dictionary, which was a "the human race and/or English language is doomed" situation for a lot of people. As with many things, the backlash can be pretty funny.

Sure, it's still bad form to use a word for the opposite of its base meaning, but "he was literally glued to his seat" is not quite as bad as "he went to the ATM machine". :P (At this point I think I might need to start an "English language quirks" thread.)

Also, late:
Enjay wrote:Anyone got any idea why the name was different in the US and European markets? I believe that Powerslave was a reference to an Iron Maiden Album but why wasn't that used in all territories?
I would wonder the opposite, "why wasn't the name Exhumed used in all territories?" It seems like a more sensible name, but maybe it doesn't have enough "punch" for American audiences. :? It seems like "Powerslave" could be a sideways reference to the Egyptian theme, which has potentially unfortunate implications.
Gez

Post by Gez »

This might be of interest if you care about the history of Lobotomy, their Quake port, and why Exhumed is called Powerslave and vice-versa. Though it mostly showcases the differences between the three versions.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

(gets to 5:31) DID I JUST SEE WHAT XIAO XIAO 3 WAS PARODYING ALL THIS TIME?!

19 minutes in and now I'm starting to get why this game is such a big deal. This is something I've always wanted to do on ZDoom but never hunkered down and just did.

Now finished with the video. I'm beginning to question what I've been doing with my life. This is going right up there with any other motivational material I've ever seen or heard about. The presenter did an excellent job of making me care about Lobotomy in general because they clearly loved what they did to push themselves to such extremes.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Average wrote:This will be a day one pick up for me (if it's the Saturn version!). Especially if the controls are tweaked. Exhumed is one of my favourite FPS games from that era... Now, if only somebody could do the same for Chaos: The Rift (I know most people don't really rate it but it's got a special place in my heart!).
You mean Chasm: The Rift right? That game was not very good by any means.
Last edited by SamVision on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Mostly echoing what DoomRater said after seeing that video; I'd been vaguely aware of Powerslave before, but only regarded it as "another failed BUILD game that was probably crap from what I've heard" (yeah, sayeth the Witchaven fan, but WH drew me in for having themes I particularly enjoy). Now I feel more like "well damn, I'd be interested in this now, too bad the 'good' version is on a console I don't have and wouldn't plan to get for just one game". Is the PC version still good? Video makes it sound like it's much worse than the console version.

Behind the scenes looks at game dev like this are always interesting to me, too. I wish I could find more stuff of that sort regarding Raven Software.

As for Night Dive, I'd be more excited if they would make good on prior promises re: releasing their stuff on GOG.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

The PC version of Exhumed is essentially a generic Doom-clone/90s FPS, whereas the console versions were comparable to Metroid Prime in ways.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

SamVision wrote:You mean Chasm: The Rift right? That game was not very good by any means.
Chasm had terrible level design, the engine sucks, but most all of the assets are very good. If anything were to be done with chasm, it'd be best if a new game was made on a better engine by mappers who know what they're doing using the assets of the original game. (Something that I'd do myself but I can't seem to find anything that can work with the models)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

No further official word from Night Dive (although they apparently dropped a hint about No One Lives Forever...) but Kaiser threw up a development blog for PowerslaveEX.

Return to “Off-Topic”