MiniSphere Addon v1.1.1 (Mar2015) - Invisibility Replacement

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Coincident

MiniSphere Addon v1.1.1 (Mar2015) - Invisibility Replacement

Post by Coincident »

This is a small addon that replaces the blur sphere / brutal marines with the MiniSphere.

Don't you hate that invisibility that makes all those fireballs impossible to dodge?
Don't you hate those overly-talkative marines that blow you to pieces with friendly grenades?
Well, no more! Now you have the MiniSphere to replace the invisibility / marines!

The MiniSphere gives the player 40 health + 40 armor up to 220 (keeps the previous armor type)

Compatible with most recent mods - tested with vanilla doom, smooth doom, brutal doom v19, brutal doom SE, and GORE.
Load MiniSphere.pk3 AFTER the mod you want to use it with.
Works with (G)ZDoom.

(For bugs, suggestions, or supporting other mods: post here or contact me, and I'll see what I can do)

Download v1.1.1

Have fun!
Spoiler: ChangeLog
Spoiler: Detailed design choices
Spoiler: Credits
Last edited by Coincident on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MiniSphere Addon v1.0.0 - Invisibility Replacement

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I'm working now for some sprite replacements + GLDefs additions... also if you want more stylish title, I can do it for the sake. BTW, this is surely one of the most FAST DOWNLOAD of all times, inside these forums :lol:

[EDIT]: Maybe this could be best to move inside resources thread, I think here seems to be a bit misplaced...
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Ozymandias81 wrote:I'm working now for some sprite replacements + GLDefs additions... also if you want more stylish title, I can do it for the sake.
Any help with graphics is greatly appreciated! :)
Admittedly, that's my Achilles Heel. :roll:
Ozymandias81 wrote:BTW, this is surely one of the most FAST DOWNLOAD of all times, inside these forums :lol:
I hosted the file download on my personal google drive as an experiment, I'm glad it's working right (the images had to go on imgur though...)
Ozymandias81 wrote:Maybe this could be best to move inside resources thread, I think here seems to be a bit misplaced...
I thought of that, since it's a really small addon. But I ended up putting this here because it's a fully functional, out-of-the-box pk3 file.
So, it's not exactly and "incomplete resource".

But I can still move this to resources if the majority of people find that it's more appropriate.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

My only criticism is that it looks too much like a megasphere. Maybe change the color to the invisibility colors to let people know what it is. I often forget the placements of invisibilities on the original maps (bad I know).
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Coincident wrote:
Ozymandias81 wrote:I'm working now for some sprite replacements + GLDefs additions... also if you want more stylish title, I can do it for the sake.
Any help with graphics is greatly appreciated! :)
Admittedly, that's my Achilles Heel. :roll:
Ozymandias81 wrote:BTW, this is surely one of the most FAST DOWNLOAD of all times, inside these forums :lol:
I hosted the file download on my personal google drive as an experiment, I'm glad it's working right (the images had to go on imgur though...)
Ozymandias81 wrote:Maybe this could be best to move inside resources thread, I think here seems to be a bit misplaced...
I thought of that, since it's a really small addon. But I ended up putting this here because it's a fully functional, out-of-the-box pk3 file.
So, it's not exactly and "incomplete resource".

But I can still move this to resources if the majority of people find that it's more appropriate.
Take a look to your messages, I've just PM you my brand new MiniSphere... Maybe needs some more decorate scaling + some blueish colors.
Concerning the "FAST DOWNLOAD" recently mentioned, it was some sort of sarcasm: the file is really small and it's unusual to see a file that small inside projects... :mrgreen:
Hope you enjoy it, and credit me too :lol:

Also here you are my idea for a good banner... (just right-click on it and save)

PS: Ma parli anche italiano?
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Thanks Ozy, I just replied to your message.
Indeed, maybe with some blueish colors + greenish colors the sphere would look like a bundle of armor + health bonuses.
It no longer looks like a miniature version of the megasphere, but (looking at Nevander's reply) maybe that's a good thing.

That title looks kickass. Maybe it would be better themed with green + blueish colors, to match your new powerup sprites?

PS - Non parlo, ma capisco un po l'Italiano. :)
I'll stop now, before I embarrass myself :P
Anyway I wanted the MiniSphere.pk3 to have translations for all languages that are supported in gzdoom.pk3, and that includes Italian :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I actually like the fact that it looks a bit like the megasphere. I thought that felt right given that it gives the same stuff as the megasphere, just not as much of it.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Pretty nice addon! Might take it a peek... :)

By the way, if you're searching for alternative sprites, I made recently some graphic tests, perhaps you could be interested... I'll leave you a sample and you can use it freely if you want:

Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Thank you all for the feedback.
Hexereticdoom: I appreciate your suggestion. However, that looks a little too simple for a powerup, and gives a feeling that it's just for armor. I prefer powerups with an abstract kinda look.

I'm wrapping things up to release version 1.1.0 in a few days, here's a little preview of what's coming:

I've undone all the crap graphical rework I did to the original doom 64 powerup, and just scaled it down in decorate. The result is much higher in quality. I should have never touched anything :P
The old one, that looks a bit like the megasphere, now in "high-quality":

Also, Ozymandias81 is putting some quality work on a newer version of a rotating-globe minisphere that is blue (health) and green (armor).
It looks even cooler in-game, animated. It still needs a little polishing (Ozy mentioned maybe a bit of anti-aliasing), but you can see where this is going. :)

What do you think?
Last edited by Coincident on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Hexereticdoom wrote:Image
I think that looks really nice, but it looks like it is just an armour powerup to me, not a health+armour one.
Coincident wrote:Also, Ozymandias81 is putting some quality work on a newer version of a rotating-globe minisphere that is blue (health) and green (armor).

What do you think?
It seems like it might be quite cool looking but, IMO, it looks quite different to the Doom powerups and so it looks a bit out of place/inconsistent. I also think it looks more powerful than just +40 health, +40 armour.
Peter Bark

Post by Peter Bark »

really cool powerup! i'd love to add it to my mods.

when I clicked the thread I thought it was a sphere that did this
Spoiler:
Xtyfe
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Xtyfe »

Geez, got my hopes up. The title is a little misleading

I was expecting a better invisibility powerup. However what you have here is a nice concept
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Suddenly I'm imagining and aggro sphere. 40+40 boost, attract monsters, temporary defense boost (so your 40+40 boost won't be for nothing).
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Hi Coincident, here you are some more appropriate banner... BTW using antialiasing on such sprites seems to erode everything a bit much all stuff, so I look forward for some more sprites, if you want them.

I was thinking about an health/armor bonuses stick together inside a white semi-transparent orb. Also if you hate so much invisibility powerup, why don't you try to add some DECORATE or ACS in order to apply -SEEINVISIBLE to all Doom monsters? In this way invisibility powerups will be coherent and restored as they're meant to work.
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Enjay wrote:I also think it looks more powerful than just +40 health, +40 armour.
I understand what you mean. But the powerup is actually really small, maybe half the diameter of a soulsphere.
The screenshots can be a bit misleading, I had to take them from very close.
I like the fact that it looks like a small adrenaline / steroids powerup of some sort.
Ozymandias81 wrote:Hi Coincident, here you are some more appropriate banner...
BTW using antialiasing on such sprites seems to erode everything a bit much all stuff
Thanks!
If you think that anti-aliasing won't help much, then I'll use your current sprites (they look pretty good already) and release version 1.1.0 :)
Ozymandias81 wrote:Also if you hate so much invisibility powerup, why don't you try to add some DECORATE or ACS in order to apply -SEEINVISIBLE to all Doom monsters?
Well, that would make the invisibility useless altogether. As I explained under Detailed design choices:
Coincident wrote:I wanted a simple and balanced alternative to reach the intended goal of the invisibility sphere: help survive an upcoming battle.
Health + Armor is the simplest way I found for that purpose.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”